Q: Electrical outlets

thulewx

I was looking at the 360º pix on the Seabourn website and was wondering a couple things. Are they much changed from when the pix were taken? Also, wondering if there is an electric outlet (110V) near the little desk area at the foot of the bed - it looks like it'd be a perfect area for a laptop.

I'll be in 103 which looks like it may have a wee bit different room shape...

I was looking at the 360º pix on the Seabourn website and was wondering a couple things. Are they much changed from when the pix were taken? Also, wondering if there is an electric outlet (110V) near the little desk area at the foot of the bed - it looks like it'd be a perfect area for a laptop.

I'll be in 103 which looks like it may have a wee bit different room shape...

Yes there is...you just lift the cover and there it is.

I have to say another thing about Seabourn...I think this is the first place I've stayed where I really liked their hairdryer. In fact, I preferred the one in the cabin over the one I brought myself! And the outlets by the desk you were asking about also accommodate European style cords, as well as ours (American).

The cabins look exactly like the pictures (some may be upholstered a bit differently since the refurbishment all ships went through this year), although when you actually walk in, if you're like me, your mouth will drop open....WOW....so spacious! The design of the cabin is brilliant; they utilize space very cleverly...and you'll love the enormous window.

Jane :)

it looks like it'd be a perfect area for a laptop.

Were you thinking it would be good to park your laptop there or sit and use it there? You could use it there, but you'd probably be more comfortable over in the living room area on the couch or in a chair.... Just my opinion... ;)

The BEST laptop places are on the couch or one of the more comfortable chairs or while laying in bed, NOT at the desk. Being near the large window is clearly more fun and enjoyable. With the wireless, it gives lots of flexibility to move around in your suite.

From Martita B., there was a great suggestion of taking along an electrical strip to plug into that single 110 outlet. That gives you more flexibility to recharge and use other electrical items you will have on your trip. One outlet plug can be limiting at times with all of our shaver, camera battery, etc. items.

SEABOURN WEB DOWNSIDE: Their web access and service can be ify at times. When it works, it's OK, but not great. Clearly best to compose off-line and then go on-line to both save money and lessen frustration when they don't have connections. Their system needs improvement and the staff can be a little lame in knowing what is going or not with their system and why it is not working properly. You're in the middle of the water, they can't get reception and say it is because of the "mountains". You'll get by, but it's not the best. Not cheap, either.

TLC in Ohio

The BEST laptop places are on the couch or one of the more comfortable chairs or while laying in bed, NOT at the desk. Being near the large window is clearly more fun and enjoyable. With the wireless, it gives lots of flexibility to move around in your suite.

From Martita B., there was a great suggestion of taking along an electrical strip to plug into that single 110 outlet. That gives you more flexibility to recharge and use other electrical items you will have on your trip. One outlet plug can be limiting at times with all of our shaver, camera battery, etc. items.

SEABOURN WEB DOWNSIDE: Their web access and service can be ify at times. When it works, it's OK, but not great. Clearly best to compose off-line and then go on-line to both save money and lessen frustration when they don't have connections. Their system needs improvement and the staff can be a little lame in knowing what is going or not with their system and why it is not working properly. You're in the middle of the water, they can't get reception and say it is because of the "mountains". You'll get by, but it's not the best. Not cheap, either.

TLC in Ohio

Keeping in mind the fire danger on board...I would ask if adding the electrical strip could cause an overload! Always pays to be cautious.

I used the "desk" for my laptop....I cant type at the best of times, so would have no hope with the laptop on my knee or in bed! I also used an electrical power board, so I could charge both cameras and laptop.....of course hubby had to do that "roll across the bed" trick quite often as I was perched at the desk a lot!

SEABOURN WEB DOWNSIDE: Their web access and service can be ify at times. When it works, it's OK, but not great. Clearly best to compose off-line and then go on-line to both save money and lessen frustration when they don't have connections. Their system needs improvement and the staff can be a little lame in knowing what is going or not with their system and why it is not working properly.

TLC in Ohio

From what has been posted clearly Seabourn is cheaper than Silverseas @ 75 per minute, and the 100 minute package was like $55.

RSSC was much cheaper in the pre-WiFi days but slow,,, LOL I thought 56Kb was slow but RSSC was slower.

On Silverseas it took me three trips to the front desk to finally get their IT person to come to the computer center and tell me what my "day of birth" was in the system. Trip one they told me to use my room number and date of birth, took laptop back to computer center and did that but it not work. Trip two they "looked" into their system and said my day of birth was the 1st of the month. Back to CC and tried that Nope, Third trip back to front desk and asked for their IT person to come to the CC, he did and finally told me my day of birth was the 19th. That worked. My real day of birth was the 3rd.

So hopefully Seabourn is better than that...

I have a small three hole plug that I can plug into an outlet and my Apple Powerbook charger and one other electric device can plug into a standard one plug outlet. :)

I need a flat surface for me to work. In Office Depot I found a small Mini-Mouse that I use. IMHO I like it better than the track pad on my laptop.

While this to me is a minor point, the only downside to the Seabourn suite is I like the Entertainment/Desk unit in the RSSC Mariner and Silver Whisper. Below is from the RSSC Mariner

A0110-3.JPG

Although it won't affect your laptops, please be aware that the frequency may be different to what you have at home. As far as I can remember, mains run at 50Hz whereas the US standard is 60Hz. This is why the Bose clock radios in the cabins never keep time as they are US models but running on a mains supply 10Hz too slow for them.

Phil

The 3 way cube plug is great but won’t usefully fit into the 110v outlet because it is recessed. I used one of my universal adapters that would allow US to US as a spacer to fix this. The other option is to plug your 110/220 gear into the 220 outlet and leave the 110 one available. We used 2 sizes of curling iron so one was put on each voltage. The outlets are good for 10-15 amps, so each will carry almost any combination of gear except duplicate hair dryers. The bathroom 110 outlet is only good for razors and other very light items, about 15-20 watts. Hair dryers and irons are not possible in there.

Much as I wrote about 50hz a while ago, I checked the Bose when I was onboard and it is a universal model. What is the problem is that the PA has an override on the TV power outlet under the cabinet so that you can’t miss emergency announcements. It appears the clock and TV power cords got swapped at the outlets when the TVs were moved up above the cabinet and that starts our problem. But there is no room to get into the cabinet now and put the Bose back on the steady outlet. We noticed all this when the clock started flashing after each ordinary announcement. Didn’t care about it being off time but the flashing was distracting so we had to keep shutting it up.

Bill

Archived