Cruising RCC With An ICD (or Pacemaker)

My son will be cruising for the first time in September and has an ICD (implantable cardioverter defibrillator ). Although he can go through security (and it will go off) under no circumstances can he be screened using a hand-held device, if necessary security will have to hand search him. He does carry a personal identification card from the manufacture regarding his device but because of his young age people have a tendency to be skeptical. We have asked our agent to give ship's security a heads up but wonder if there is something else we should do. If you have cruised with an ICD or Pacemaker please share your experience.

Thank you,

Cindy

I haven't personal experience of travelling with a person with an ICD but perhaps you could also call RCCL special needs to let them know.

I believe the number is 1-800-722-5472 ext. 34492 ( I just read it on another posting from BearySweet2Cruise).

You might also suggest that they also inform the security personnel and Ground Services personnel in the terminal building at check in and not only the ship's security personnel.

As soon as you board, I would then also suggest that you confirm with ship's security that they place a note on the ship's SeaPass system that will confirm that your son is not to be hand wanded under any circumstances. (This will also save him having to display his personal identification card from the manufacturer each time he enters). Likely the ship's security officer will verify the card once you get onboard and then they can put the information on their system. The best way to approach this is likely through the Guest Relations Desk, rather than asking one of the security guards once you get onboard.

I would also make sure your son carries the card at all times on shore with him since there might be the possibility of onshore screening by port security personnel. Again, here the ship's security officer may be able to tell you which ports are likely to conduct hand wanding on shore.

Hope this helps

I've been cruising with an ICD for the past five years. When I'm boarding the ship with my wife I just let them know that I can't go through the magnatomaters because of my ICD and they hand-search me. I also carry a doctor's note that I sometimes use at the airport to show them of my situation. Never had a problem. I've never called RCC in advance. Please let me know if you do call them in advance and what the phone number is. Thanks. Fred C (Cantorfam@aol.com)

Thanks for responding.

I did contact RCCL at the number above and they have noted his account. We will also confirm with security when we get on the ship.

Now if we can just get their cabin moved. We had asked that the bookings be linked for dinner but not the cabins. For that matter we ask that they NOT be next to each other. My son and his wife will be celebrating their one year anniversary and as a mom I don't need to hear any fireworks.:eek:

My mom has traveled the last 8 years with a pacemaker and noone on rccl or even at the airport has given her any trouble abuot hand searching. We just tell them she can't go through the metal detector and they do the hand search. Of course carding the id card is a great idea.

My husband cruised with a pacemaker recently--just let them know and they will hand-search. At ports, they will remember him and usually just wave him through! (At least, that's what happened with us. The security guard would see my husband coming and just give him the go-ahead!)

Now--the airports--that's a different story! Allow LOTS of extra time going through security--it takes them forever to hand search as they search EVERYWHERE!!!!!! You can't be shy once you get this implant!

I got tired of the hand search at the airport. (just because i have a medical

device implanted in my chest is it really necessary to take off my shoes

and sox?)

Long story short ST Jude told me the wand was OK as long as they don't

linger.

The walk thru was never a problem at all. ( I wear a minimum of metal

and remove my shoes at the airports).

The detectors at the piers seem to be a lot less sensitive.

What went off, not the defibulator I hope thats a very unplesant thing.

when i ask the ispectors not to linget with the wand the always were

OK with it.

What kind does he Have? I wouldn't mind comparing notes sometime,

I've had mine 3 years . and do everything even arc weld but had a few issues at first.

Happy cruising and good health

John

I've been cruising with an ICD for the past five years. When I'm boarding the ship with my wife I just let them know that I can't go through the magnatomaters because of my ICD and they hand-search me. I also carry a doctor's note that I sometimes use at the airport to show them of my situation. Never had a problem. I've never called RCC in advance. Please let me know if you do call them in advance and what the phone number is. Thanks. Fred C (Cantorfam@aol.com)

Hi Fred

The phone number is above in thread #2

Have a wonderful day :)

I've been on 8 cruises with my ICD (Guidant) :eek: I've never had the ships' or airport metal detector arch go off due to the device and they in turn cant activate the defib. Manufacturer says "just don't linger" in the arch or with a wand. Only if their detector goes off do I mention the defib.

John - an arc welder? Now that I wouldn't do. The wake up call isn't bad, but it doue lift me off the seat.

What kind does he Have? I wouldn't mind comparing notes sometime, I've had mine 3 years . and do everything even arc weld but had a few issues at first.

Happy cruising and good health

John

Karl's is a Medtronic. It was put in April 6th of this year at Johns Hopkins. This will be the first time he has traveled since he got it. Seems there is a great deal of conflicting information out there regarding security devices. Karl is of the opinion that if there is even a slight chance that his ICD will go off he will endure whatever physical search is necessary. Can't say that I blame him, my understanding is that it's like a kick in the chest if that thing fires.

Most people find it hard to believe that a 22 year old would need an ICD; hopefully he never will. It's nice to know he has it, we consider it insurance. Karl was dx. with HCM and every cardiologist that he has seen was surprised he did not die on a lacrosse field. Sharing with others who have an ICD has been very helpful; thank you for sharing your experience.

My wife has a Medtronic ICD and we travel all the time. She just shows her ICD card and gets a personal search whether at the airport or the ship. No big deal at all.

She's had hers since 1997. A couple of years ago one of the wires to the heart malfunctioned and the device went off several times in a matter of minutes. A kick to the chest is putting it mildly. After it was determined it was a malfunction she was scheduled for surgery in a couple of days at a hospital 90 minutes away. That was one nervous trip, let me tell ya.

Since her device only had a year or so left on it she had it replaced along with a new wire. The old wire was left connected to the heart and nothing else.

I'm sure you'll have no problems with security. Don't worry about it.

Archived