Help I Need A New Hair Style

I need an easy to manage hair style and even though I am a grandmother (55 y.o.) I don't necessarily want to look like I am.:eek: I feel old, frumpy, well you get the idea.

Don't know why I never thought to ask all you nice folks...duhhhh...

I hate my hair:( Need help from all of you....is there a web site or links...pictures...anything..........

I need to take pictures into my stylist. Right now my hair is 2" below my ears & 3" in the back, heavily layered because I have very thick hair AND an old perm that is growing out. I have a big round face & look really bad if it is to short.

I know you can help..everyone here has such wonderful ideas...:)

Guest KimberlyB

Believe it or not, the folks over at Ladies' Home Journal have developed a "Try-a-Hairstyle" tool that lets you upload your own photograph, and then try on dozens of hairdos. I haven't done it yet (my best friend is the creative director and a stylist at a Manhattan salon, so I take full advantage...woo hoo!) but I see that it's free with registration on the Ladies' Home Journal site. Sounds easy and FUN! Here's the link...

http://www.lhj.com/lhj/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/lhj/story/data/tryahairstyle_landingpage_06292004.xml

Good luck! Let us know what happens!

Unless you absolutely love your hairstylist, I'd suggest finding a new one.

I was a hairstylist for 15 years and I know how some can get into a rut. There are times when you just need to make a change, I've done it myself.

While I don't have thick, luxurious hair (rather baby fine and stick straight), I wear it shoulder length and layered, framing my round face, but not too short around my face.

I know what you mean about the age thing, there is no way I'm wearing a matronly looking haircut just because I'm into the menopause years.

One more suggestion, if you have your hair colored, especially if you have brown hair, take the color down a couple shades from your "natural" color. One mistake many women make is trying to keep a darker shade, it only ages your skin more, a softer color is better. Not everyone looks good blond, or highlighted, either. Find a great colorist who understands skin tone and will work with your natural base color to give you the best look.

Thanks everyone...I hate to admit:

#1- Don't have a pix of myself & if I did I don't know how to post it here....:confused:

#2- My hair is now 1/2 grey 1/2 dark brown:eek: :D

I was putting on the 9 wash temporary color, looked really good, (I hate roots)...but i gave up. It just does not cover grey very well. Temple grey would never die (dye):D

Let me try to get at least one decent photo from my last cruise & make the attempt.

Okie Dokie....I found a picture....however I tried to put it in the body of a post and it said my pix is 810 KB & CC will only take 97.7 KB..

Is there a way to shrink my pix??:D

For me, the easiest way (unless you are a whiz at photoshop or one of those programs) is to open it in say PowerPoint, shrink it and then save it as a jpg on my desktop and then load it from there.

Good luck!

~e

I can't help with powerpoint. Sorry.

My first advice is to find a good color person. My hair is turning grey but people always say how fortunate I am not to have any grey. When I get my hair highlighted, the grey kind of mixes in and you can't tell what's highlight and what's grey.

Short hair on a round face doesn't have to make it look rounder. A good stylist can add length to your face with a little height, or soft bangs swept to the side. Sometimes bringing pictures of yourself when you liked your hair, or pictures from a magazine can help the stylist.

If I had your dilemma, I would simply ask people, friends, neighbors, family, coworkers, etc. whose hair you love, what stylist they use?

A good stylist/hairdresser knows what type of look would make you feel fabulous. I have been using the same person for over 15 years, and she still shows me the latest books and catalogues and suggests changes for me, because she knows I need to change my look occasionally also. She'll also try different cutting techniques she's just learned, etc.

If you sit in the right person's chair, it will make all the difference in the world. Photos can be a big help, as long as you're not asking for the impossible. Good luck! ;)

Karen

Baltimore

Lucy'sMom--what you need is a program where you can edit your photos--Powerpoint is a slide presentation program in Microsoft's suite--wouldn't be my first choice for photo editing, but hey, we works with whats we got, right? Most computers (PCs) these days come with Microsoft Paint--a very basic program that will allow you to edit a photo. Open the photo, select "Image" from the menu bar, then "stretch/skew", then fiddle with the percents to shrink your photo--save as a different file name.

Thanks everyone....I did some experimenting with the photo..no luck...but I appreciate your help.

The lady I have now previously worked in The Floridian at Disney...really swanky place....so I was impressed by that alone. She does good for me...but I think I just change my mind to much...

Or could it possibly be, I just don't know what I want:eek:

Suzanne~

Sometimes not knowing what you want can lead to great discoveries! :) Here are a few links to hair and beauty sites. Have fun with your look, do something that will make you feel zesty! :D

http://www.visual-makeover.com/face.htm ~face shapes and hair cuts

http://www.totalhair.net/ ~photos and ideas

http://beauty.ivillage.com/stc/hairstylist/hairstylist.html?o=dcm,vhs,iv,el,prodname,bs,lnavhotstuff ~this is fun! Though you do have to register to use it

~Rebecca

http://www.gimp.org/windows/ I believe you can use that to resize pictures and I'm sure there's tutorials somewhere. I use both paint shop pro 7 and 9 for my images and they cost quite a bit. But I have heard GIMP is a great free alternative!

I definately am thinking layers because you can play them up with a curling or flat iron or just let your hair dry as is and you would look great either way. Maybe even try some bangs that might look cute, not thick bangs, "wispy" bangs.

Thanks everyone....I did some experimenting with the photo..no luck...but I appreciate your help.

The lady I have now previously worked in The Floridian at Disney...really swanky place....so I was impressed by that alone. She does good for me...but I think I just change my mind to much...

Or could it possibly be' date=' I just don't know what I want:eek: [/color']

No, it's not you. Just because someone worked at a swanky place is no guarantee they are great hairstylists. A great hairstylist (haircutter, I should say) takes into account not only your hair type, but your facial features, your lifestyle and even your body size. A great haircutter would enhance the shape of your face and would adapt a look you want to your particular features.

If you are feeling frumpy because of your haircut, you need to find a better haircutter. If you can't do that, be honest and upfront with your person, make sure they know what you want, it's OK to shake them up a bit.

I found a photo in Vogue a couple of months ago. I was in the process of letting my very short layers grow out and was in a very awkward place. The style was a longish layered front and a really short and shaped back. My hairdresser was a little reticent about doing it, but it really looked good. My hair is curly and an unfortunate natural color. It was too short to highlight economically. A week or so later, I went back to get my color done and highlights. It looked so great. So different for me. I am very conservative by nature, so I shocked everybody. It has turned out to be really easy to deal with -- I wash it (every other day as opposed to the daily shampoo I have done for the pst 40 years!) use great products and have a good blow dryer/hair brush combination plus a good flatiron. I am very happy I made such a change in my appearance. It has been great for my self esteem!

--Judy

I too have a problem with my hair. Always wait until I just can't stand it anymore and then go the hairdresser and say "Do something with it!". Did this a few weeks ago, went to my sister in laws hairdresser. They saw me getting out of the car and the first thing they thought was "mousy". I let them tell me what they thought would work best, then let them at it. One did the color, beautiful shade of auburn with a slight hint of purple, yes, purple. doesn't look like it though...just shines when the sun is on it. The other one did the cut. Razor cut, I have a lot of hair, but it is fine and perfectly straight with a LOT of those cowlicks. Hairdressers should know how to work around the flaws, what color would work with your skin tone and also take into account how much time you want to spend on your hair. I am a wash and go person.

I have found that if I go in with a particular style in mind, it usually will not work for me. I let the hairdresser choose the style after I tell them the basics...the wash and go thing mainly. Oh, and I usually keep my eyes closed until it is done. They they twirl that chair around and there is someone new looking back at me. So much fun.

dawn

I too have a problem with my hair. Always wait until I just can't stand it anymore and then go the hairdresser and say "Do something with it!". Did this a few weeks ago, went to my sister in laws hairdresser. They saw me getting out of the car and the first thing they thought was "mousy". I let them tell me what they thought would work best, then let them at it. One did the color, beautiful shade of auburn with a slight hint of purple, yes, purple. doesn't look like it though...just shines when the sun is on it. The other one did the cut. Razor cut, I have a lot of hair, but it is fine and perfectly straight with a LOT of those cowlicks. Hairdressers should know how to work around the flaws, what color would work with your skin tone and also take into account how much time you want to spend on your hair. I am a wash and go person.

I have found that if I go in with a particular style in mind, it usually will not work for me. I let the hairdresser choose the style after I tell them the basics...the wash and go thing mainly. Oh, and I usually keep my eyes closed until it is done. They they twirl that chair around and there is someone new looking back at me. So much fun.

dawn

I would LOVE to find a hairdresser who could do that! Just look at me and say, "I know exactly what to do with your hair!" Kind of like the hair guy on What not to Wear, can't remember his name. How do you find a hairdresser like that?

FYI...I'm from Central Iowa!

Believe it or not, the folks over at Ladies' Home Journal have developed a "Try-a-Hairstyle" tool that lets you upload your own photograph, and then try on dozens of hairdos. I haven't done it yet (my best friend is the creative director and a stylist at a Manhattan salon, so I take full advantage...woo hoo!) but I see that it's free with registration on the Ladies' Home Journal site. Sounds easy and FUN! Here's the link...

http://www.lhj.com/lhj/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/lhj/story/data/tryahairstyle_landingpage_06292004.xml

Good luck! Let us know what happens!

this is a great site...........thanks

Archived