Oxygen

Riba

We are sailing the Brilliance of the Sea next winter. My husband just went on oxygen. If he still needs it then, does anybody know how I go about ordering this for him?

I have not dealt with this before, and I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

Your local o2 supplier will arrange this for you but you may have to pay for it, we took the Brillance out of Miami 3 yeasrs ago and there was a business right there that took care of my service. first contact you supplier I hope this helps

Riba

Thanks for posting this. I'm in the same situation as I just went on oxygen and we have two cruises booked. NCL Sun in September to Alaska and Carnival Legend in January.

According to the cruise websites, you must arrange your own oxygen. My supplier will be contacting the company on my behalf. I believe the cruiselines use Carevacation as the provider.

I also understand it's very expensive. I'm not sure whether my private insurance will pick the cost up.

If anyone has any other information it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Toni

• 3 weeks later...

My mother-in-law will be traveling with us for Christmas and is in a wheelchair and requires oxygen. She travels all the time, but this is the first time by cruise. Is she going to need a letter from her doctor that she is fit to travel? The reason I ask is because when she was asking her doctor about what she should take if she gets sea sick and he told her he didn't think she should go in her condition. I'm sure he is just trying to cover himself - she has muscular dystrophy which is why she is required to be on oxygen now - but goes with us to Disney for the day, etc. Any thoughts from anyone?

Shame on her doctor. People with disabilities take cruises all the time. Is she in a terminal stage of the disease? Life has risks...she could die at home too, but why not let her do what she is able to do and what she wants to do? I am sure she is aware that there are some risks in travel. I am a rehab nurse, and in similar circumstances I would encourage my patient to go...and enjoy herself at this family event.

We have never been asked for a letter that states fitness for travel. I think this would be discriminatory. Some cruise lines do require a physician's letter as documentation of disability in order to get an accessible cabin. If this is the case, she may want to see a more sympathic (and caring) physician.

Shame on her doctor. People with disabilities take cruises all the time. Is she in a terminal stage of the disease? Life has risks...she could die at home too, but why not let her do what she is able to do and what she wants to do? I am sure she is aware that there are some risks in travel. I am a rehab nurse, and in similar circumstances I would encourage my patient to go...and enjoy herself at this family event.

We have never been asked for a letter that states fitness for travel. I think this would be discriminatory. Some cruise lines do require a physician's letter as documentation of disability in order to get an accessible cabin. If this is the case, she may want to see a more sympathic (and caring) physician.

Actually, some airlines ask for a letter from the doctor regarding fitness to travel when you are on oxygen. Each airline has their own way of doing things.

They need to contact the cruiseline on what is needed and also what provider is used for bringing the oxygen on board.

I've been in touch with NCL and they asked for a copy of the dr's oxygen prescription.

Toni

My husband uses oxygen at night. Our previous O2 provider used to loan us a travel concentrator, but after we were forced to changed insurance carriers, we ended up with one that does not. After finding out that CareVacations would charge us $500 for a concentrator for our transatlantic last fall, I went out and bought a used one. Three cruises later, I am well ahead financially.

And yes, some cruise lines require a fitness to travel letter for passengers on oxygen. I know both RCCL and Princess do. I particularly find the latter interesting since they do not even post an oxygen in use sign as RCCL, Carnival and HAL do.

Dale

We are in the process of purchasing a portable concentrator to use on board the airlines and cruise ships. It's an Airsep Lifestyle and is accepted by the airline (they are very fussy).

The only problem with it is the battery life is short so we have to have a lot of batteries in order to last the length of a flight.

Toni

tim:

I looked into the AirSep Lifestyle because it is small and lightweight; however, I could not justify the expense since my husband only uses it at night. Instead I bought an used 18 lb Excel and custom, metal travel case. The travel case adds considerably to the size and more than doubles the weight, but it keeps the concentrator safe and has wheels so it is easy to transport.

Dale

We do a lot of travelling and the airlines have limited the choice of portable concentrators to either the Airsep Lifestyle or the Imogen One. That's it!

We're Canadian and if my insurance won't cover the cost then I can claim part of the price on my income tax as medical.

Another reason was I just didn't want to loose my freedom when I was put on oxygen.

Toni :D

I am going to Alaska for an cruisetour for 18 days and my o2 company just told me that they can't help with this although when I signed on with them a year ago they sdaid they could, since the trip is sept 1 and all paid I freaked but call around and instead of carevacations which is very expensive I got Advanced aeormedical and I am renting the inogenwith 5 batteries and a extra charger. the price is half of what others wanted and they send the unit to my door so I have it for the plane. I hope this helps others the 5 batteries will give me 15 hours and I can plug in ast night to sleep and recharge. This will also eliminate carrying cyclinders on the tour part they are so heavy.

Nancy

• 1 month later...

I am just bumping this thread up to the front. Maybe I can get more answers????? We will be coming in the day before our cruise. AA will supply the oxygen on the flight. I will need oxygen for the hotel and then on the ship for 12 days. Any help will be appreciated.

It depends on your O2 company. They may be able to provide you with your oxygen at the hotel the night before. Most companies will contract out to someone in your departing port to provide O2 for the cruise. I don't remember if you said when you are cruising but contact your O2 company ASAP. Get them on this. It takes a lot of leg work. You would probably want to know sooner then later if there are going to be problems. Insurance companies unfortunately don't usually pickup the extra costs incurred with this. It usually is out of pocket...

Also if your cruise is not soon call your O2 company a week ahead of time and reverify the details. Hope everythong works out for you let us know...

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all that replied to my inquiry. My husband's 02 provider will only do it for 10 days. We will be away for 12 days. I called RC and they recommended CareVacations. If we could have gone with our provider, it would only cost us about $100-$200. This way I will have to pay much more for CareVacations. But it is worth it if we can go. Thanks again.

Archived