Just a quickie...

Just a quick question about thing to purchase in Canada that would be cheaper or non exsitant in the US. I will be cruising up leaving NY in the beginning of September. Thank you for your help in advance!!

Micky

How about maple candy. Usually molded in the shape of a maple leaf.

Anything with a maple leaf on it or in the shape of a maple leaf.

My last trip to Canada in 2001 I began collecting maple leaves to embellish a scrapbook of the trip. I have been collecting maple leaves ever since.

Ketchup chips and Smarties.

And while you are here, stop somewhere for lunch and get a poutine!

Am I suposed to consume this all together??? like a smartie, ketchup crunchy soup?

I love Smarties!!

Micky

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick question about thing to purchase in Canada that would be cheaper or non exsitant in the US. I will be cruising up leaving NY in the beginning of September. Thank you for your help in advance!!

Micky

The classic Canadian collectable is black soapstone carvings by the Inuit. Not cheap, but there is also no import duty on these back into the US.

Cuban cigars, but be sure to smoke them before you get home. :)

(Some places will sell you Cuban cigars but put bands from other makers/countries on them so they can get through US customs.)

• 2 weeks later...
Ketchup chips and Smarties.

And while you are here, stop somewhere for lunch and get a poutine!

OMG ketchup chips! I havn't heard about these since 1989 when i was on tour with a drumcorp (CADETS of Bergen County) I remember when we went to Canada some of our members were Canadian and they had family members bring them a few cases of these ketchup chips for everyone on the bus. Never heard of them before & have not seen them since. too funny thanks for the memory. will have to grab a bag or two when i am up there on the Victory 8/26

Originally Posted by Sheebah

What is a poutine? I'm dying to know!

....and what are touques

Poutine is a lovely heap of french fries with cheese curds piled on top. The curds are kind of gravy-ish. Plugs up my heart valves just thinking about it (although it's mighty tasty, I've only ever had a few bites of it when my teenagers order it - guess I'm a baaaaad Canadian!:o )

Toques are woven winter headwear, usually with pom-poms on top. Famously worn by our beloved Bob and Doug McKenzie, often paired with earmuffs, while they drink beer, eat back-bacon and say "eh!" and "hoser!". http://sctvguide.ca/programs/mckenzie.htm

Karen

What is a poutine? I'm dying to know!

Poutine is a lovely heap of french fries with cheese curds piled on top. The curds are kind of gravy-ish.

The curds are not gravy-ish; they are smothered with gravy. But bed careful, poutine is not the same everywhere. A “real” poutine needs to be made with the true greasy French fries (not the McD type frozen shoestring fries) and real curd cheese. I’ve been to places where they make poutine with mozzarella cheese :eek: . Thanks but no thanks!

If you do decide to have one, the best spot to find them would be at a “hot dog” place.

When I was up there last month I stocked up on sunscreen with Mexoryl. This is the only stuff that REALLY works and is available everywhere but the US. The FDA has just approved mexoryl,but it will initially only be available in expensive cosmetic products. In Canada, it's in the sunscreen section and is not much more expensive than the regular stuff. Read the ingrediants to be sure as it is only in products made by L'Oreal.

Toque is like a ski hat, it can or cannot have a pompom

Poutine, french friends with cheese curds on top and then a brown gravy on it. They cheese

It is sold in "delis" where you can have smoked meat sanwiches, MacDonalds, Burger King, La Belle Provience (hot dog/hamburger joint)and KFC (kentucky fried chicken).

Smoked meat is Montreal's version of a cross between pastrami and corned beef. If in Montreal, in the downtown area it can be had at "Rubens Deli on St. CAtherine and Peel Streets or at a Dunns (another deli type restaurant) amongst other places.

I agree with the other poster who said not all poutines are the same. A true original would probably be found at La Belle Province (Peel street just a bit south of St. Catherine street in the downtown montreal area). The taste will depend on the fries and the gravy used and if the cheese curds are very fresh.

But if you are strapped for time, you can get a feel for it at one of the other places I mentioned.

You can buy the cheese curds in a local store food store and just eat them and if they are really

fresh they will "squeak".

Archived