Cozumel Port and also Jeep Rentals

25dbb

Can anyone tell me what pier the RCCL Mariner of the Sea docks at in Cozumel ( Sept 26th Voyage). Also I am interested in Jeep rentals in Cozumel. Any reputable places near the port, pricing and do's and dont's from prior Jeep Renters. Any and all information would be helpful.

Most of the time Mariner docks at the TMM International Pier here in Cozumel. There are many rental agencies that service that area. We work with a couple of them but you can also wander around and book something on the spot if you like since this is a lower time of year. However in higher season it's always good to try to book something in advance. Have fun and enjoy your time in Cozumel!

After dealing with Sherri at CozumelInsider for villa rental and other services, I have to say that I recommend working with her for your jeep rental. I was recently on the CozumelInsider website and Sherri has negotiated some great rental rates from Avis. http://www.cozumelinsider.com/carrentals/avis.html

As for do's and don'ts when renting a vehicle in Cozumel.

1) Do make sure that your rental rate includes insurance. Your American auto insurance, even if it covers rental cars, will not cover rental cars in Mexico. Some people buy the extra insurance. That's entirely up to you. Remember though, if you're in an accident you can be held liable for damages that must be paid, one way or another, before you leave the island.

2) Don't rent a scooter! Very, very dangerous in Cozumel. Probably THE NUMBER ONE leading accident type on the island.

3.) Stick to the roads. Don't take any of the sand roads into the jungle. If you get stuck you'll be paying for towing and any damages out of your own pocket. Cars are not covered when they leave paved roads.

4.) Buy a Cozumel map. The "mapchick" has an awesome Cozumel map that not only shows how to get around on the island but has points of interest included. http://www.cancunmap.com. For $8, it's well worth it.

5.) DO NOT get drunk and drive.

6.) DO NOT overload the vehicle with too many people.

Other than that, it's a blast to have your own vehicle to get around in and explore the island. So, enjoy!

Right off the ship we found Alamo, Budget, Avis etc. They wanted $75 - we negotiated for $60 for the Jeep at Alamo. The rental desk gave us a mp oif the island and encouraged us to visit the ruins. That might not have been the best idea. Please read more at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=50344

All in all, we enjoyed the Jeep and stopped on the road and swam where ever we wanted to - shopped and had a blast. Parking was a bit tough in the city, but store owners will let you park in front of their stores but they want you to buy something if you do.

Have fun and BE SAFE!

Right off the ship we found Alamo, Budget, Avis etc. They wanted $75 - we negotiated for $60 for the Jeep at Alamo. The rental desk gave us a mp oif the island and encouraged us to visit the ruins. That might not have been the best idea. Please read more at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=50344

All in all, we enjoyed the Jeep and stopped on the road and swam where ever we wanted to - shopped and had a blast. Parking was a bit tough in the city, but store owners will let you park in front of their stores but they want you to buy something if you do.

Have fun and BE SAFE!

Okay, decision time for my family. We'd been planning to do a jeep excursion with this company: http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/tours/jeep.html. They sound great, and I was very excited about it. They charge $85 per person, and there are 4 of us, so it wasn't going to be cheap. The tour lasts 5 hours, goes through the jungle, stops on the beach for snorkeling, and includes lunch and the guide.

Then I read this thread, and I started to think, "Hmmm. For 1/4 the cost of that excursion I could rent a jeep and we could do it on our own." BUT another poster on this board says we should stay out of the jungle. If we decide to do it on our own, we'll definitely order the map mentioned earlier in this thread.

Another detail: If we do it on our own, we'd be able to swing by Paradise Beach, which also sounds wonderful, after our jeep adventure.

So . . . what would you do? Would you do the excursion, which would be great, or would you do it on your own, which would also be great? Opinions, please!

You should not attempt to take the jungle tour on your own. The sand is very deep in spots and, even in the tour convoy, someone inevitably gets stuck. Plus, keep in mind, once you leave the paved road you void your insurance. If you get stuck or do damage to the vehicle you will pay for it.

My advice -- don't take the chance. Stick to the tour if you want to do the jungle tour. Or, stick to paved roads if you just want rent a car and explore the island.

Archived