packing gowns

Sugar67

I've only packed a gown once, but I learned the tip here and it worked well. You will need 2 hangers, one for the top of the dress, a sticky pants hanger for the bottom (dry cleaner hanger). Put a dry cleaner bag over your first hanger, hang your dress, place another bag over the top of the dress. Gather the skirt portion of the dress, hang over the sticky portion of the other hanger, then place a third dry cleaner bag over it. You could use a twist tie to keep the hangers together, another reassurance the two hangers don't separate and the bottom of the dress end up wadded in the bottom of the garment bag or suitcase.

I'll also safety pin the top of the dress to the hanger, then you have a safety pin if you need it. I have purchased, over the years, several pieces of Chicos costume jewelry. They give you the little drawstring bags with each purchase. Those have come in handy for me when packing, I'll put the jewelry (costume only!) into those bags and hang them with the outfit. My real jewelry stays in my handbag.

Sugar, I too use drycleaning bags, but I haven't tried Kathy's method. I've been quite successful in just making a knot at the bottom of the drycleaning bag after picking up my gown from the cleaners. A separate bag for each dress works the best for me (also good for DH's tux).

Sugar, I too use drycleaning bags, but I haven't tried Kathy's method. I've been quite successful in just making a knot at the bottom of the drycleaning bag after picking up my gown from the cleaners. A separate bag for each dress works the best for me (also good for DH's tux).

Do you carry on your gown/ dresses or do you pack them in your suit case?

1sttimecruiserlady

NCL Spirit 7,16,06

1st cruise I can't wait!

Do you carry on your gown/ dresses or do you pack them in your suit case?

1sttimecruiserlady

NCL Spirit 7,16,06

1st cruise I can't wait!

I pack them in a suitcase. Our clothese usually are wrinkle-free with this method. However, I've discovered that drycleaning and pressing (on RCI) costs less than what I pay at home. If something needs a press, I send it out right away while I unpack and it is returned the following afternoon. (Beaded gowns, silks, etc. have all come back beautifully cleaned or pressed - never a mishap).

A suit is packed a bit differently: http://www.wikihow.com/Pack-a-Suit-Into-Suit-Case

I remember seeing a very similar method in a packing book or some tip board.

Incidentally, there are wardrobe suitcases which would probably hold all your formal wear admirably. If you happen to get hsn on tv, the travel show sells this suitcase. It is two sided and includes a hanging hook on the top of the suitcase, with nice "wings" and "bars" (think of a soft lap belt ) that holds your longer outfits.

Otherwise, I usually just unpack hanging items at the beginning of a trip and give them a warm steam by hanging them in the bathroom while taking a hot shower the night before if necessary. A clamping hanger, the kind used for bottoms, can also be clamped onto the bottom hem/cuff of your outfit to pull it taught. This helps de-wrinkle items.

As I recall, it was Jane110 that posted this method a few years ago. I certainly don't want credit for someone elses idea :)

Yup, my solution, but certainly don't mind you sharing it! :D

Archived