Statistics please??

Totally Addicted

Actual statistics would be very hard to share. Most of this depends on the weather related to your cruise. IF you choose to cruise mainly during hurricane and Tropical Storm season, then you have a greater chance of having your itineary changed.

We have cruised over 30 times and we have only had our itineary changed once, and that was to visit the ports in backward order to avoid a Tropical Depression. Other than that, we have never had a change such as Eastern to Western Caribbean on a cruise.

Does anyone know the statistics on the ships having to change total itineraries for the week?? It has happened to us twice so the percentage of how often it has happened to us is pretty high. Thanks! Barbara

I assume total means all ports. We all have missed ports for weather, diverted for other reasons (political unrest), changed port order because of crowding, ???

As mentioned above, during hurricane season, in the East and West Caribbean chances are high. My quess your two were probably your Sep Caribbean cruises. For a 52 week year, maybe once or twice a year in the Caribbean it is more likely.

Our experience is never a total itinerary change, but "diverted" or "missed" on four of eighteen cruises.

I assume total means all ports. We all have missed ports for weather, diverted for other reasons (political unrest), changed port order because of crowding, ???

As mentioned above, during hurricane season, in the East and West Caribbean chances are high. My quess your two were probably your Sep Caribbean cruises. For a 52 week year, maybe once or twice a year in the Caribbean it is more likely.

Our experience is never a total itinerary change, but "diverted" or "missed" on four of eighteen cruises.

I think even in Hurricane season chances are very low. I have taken more cruises than I care to count during hurricane season and have never had a completely switched itinerary. I missed St. Martin once because of Hurricane damage the week before that but that has been it. Sailed through a Tropical Storm but we still made all of the ports.

Scott

I was just asking out of curiosity. Someone had the statistics that only one Princess ship in 20 years was delayed leaving (if that is true it just happened to be the one we were on). I wondered if anyone knew how many times, over a certain number of years, the complete itinerary was changed. Might relieve some of the minds of those cruising in September! Or at least make them aware of exactly how flexible in their thinking they need to be!! :D

I know that a hurricane delayed our friend's cruise on the CB. They boarded 2 days late while the previous cruise was extended by 2 days.

This was a September cruise. The itinerary was also changed from Eastern to Western.

Even so, DH and I are booked for an Eastern on the CB for 9/16. We both know that the cruise may not go as expected. We are fine with that. Just get me on the ship and I am fine with wherever we go.

I was just asking out of curiosity. Someone had the statistics that only one Princess ship in 20 years was delayed leaving (if that is true it just happened to be the one we were on). D

I think someone was hitting the bottle when they posted that stat!! Ships are delayed leaving all of the time for various reasons.

I would think if anyone even had stats to that detail it would be some analyst with Princess.

Scott

First define where you are talking about. Do you mean every ship anywhere in the world? I suspect there are some areas that are more prone to changes than other areas. The Carib will probably have more than Port Stanly stops or Helsinki stops.

I know that a hurricane delayed our friend's cruise on the CB. They boarded 2 days late while the previous cruise was extended by 2 days.

This was a September cruise. The itinerary was also changed from Eastern to Western.

Even so, DH and I are booked for an Eastern on the CB for 9/16. We both know that the cruise may not go as expected. We are fine with that. Just get me on the ship and I am fine with wherever we go.

That must have been the same cruise we were on. I'm with you!! Just get me to the ship!!

2 summers ago, after the 2005 brochures came out I saw the itinerary for an 11 night cruise to the panama canal on the Celebrity Century. I was excited about this cruise and we had a substantial cruise credit to use so we booked it. In November we were informed that they were changing the entire ships itinerary to Europe for that summer and there would be no Celebrity ships in the Caribbean at all. Well they did let us use our credit on RCI, which we don't like nearly as much, and no 11 nights available. They also offered shipboard credit for the change. We were not very happy with this change but what can you do? And we all know there is no such thing as a bad cruise. Enjoyed our substituted cruise.

It would be very difficult to answer that question for the following reasons...

1. How do you define "changed total itineries for the week"? Is that switching from Eastern Caribbean to Western? or reordering the ports, or even the hour you arrive or depart from a port.

2. Cruise lines probably consider this proprietory information so the only way to determine this would be from the forums like Cruise Critic or maybe the ports themselves (if they even keep track of this information and it is released to the public

Until a few years ago, I had no problem recommending on cruising in Sept to anyone. Nowadays, I reserve that statement to people who have their heart set on a particular intinery or port.

True old fashioned "bed bugs" are big enough to see but they hide in the mattress until during the night so you don't generally see them.

I wouldn't worry about it. Of course things like that can always happen but bugs on a ship have to be carried aboard via stuff or people, so although I have no stats I'd think it would be less common than a land based hotel.

Archived