Captain's Table?

Jaycue52

How does one go about getting an invitation to sit at the Captain's Table? I assume that it has to do with the number of times you have sailed on a particular cruise line. :confused:

Invites to the Captain's table aren't something you ask for, it's generally something the corporate offices set up in advance. If you are celebrating a personal milestone, like a special birthday or anniversary, you can have your travel agent put that notification in your record.

You can also wind up with an invitation if you happen to speak to the right crew member, or if you are a particularly interesting person. There isn't really any rhyme or reason - it is just who they think will be a sparkling addition to the table.

Then I only sparkle for Radisson, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Never sparkled for Princess!! Write lovely letters to the Captains etc. and am totally ignored. Can't even get a polite reply from them. Last time, suggested I buy their video!! Sob sob - their loss - Princess have no class since being bought out. Love their cruises still - but not as much as we used to - hate their attitude!! Except for Berna of course - darling girl!!

Recently sailed the Mariner with my entire family (25 people) for my parent's 50th and got an invite for 6 of us to dine with the Captain on formal night. I wrote a nice letter to the captain before I left for our cruise explaining that it was a family cruise for my parent's 50th and gave it to the purser's desk the first day of the cruise. Wasn't sure if it would work, but figured it was worth a try. To my surprise, the second night of the cruise the head matra d (?) came up to my table and told me the news that the captain would like to invite 6 from our "party" to dine with him. They sent me and my hubby, my parents, and my aunt and uncle a formal invite to our cabins the next day. The night of the dinner we met the captain in the lobby before dinner and then they "walked" us in to the dining room. We had a special menu, free wine and they took a picture of our table before dinner and gave us all a copy of the photo with a copy of the captains menu (signed by the Captain) before the end of the dinner. I didn't tell my parent's about the letter before hand so needless to say, my parent's were very excited about the evening. It made the cruise for them!

Receiving an invitation does depend on a lot of different circumstances you may not have a lot of control over......being tall, tan, Scandanavian, a TA, previous passenger with many cruises under your belt, or a celebrity might all help!

My daughter and I had the privilege of being invited to dine at the Captain's table on a cruise through the Panama Canal with RCCL about six years ago.

It may have helped that we were two single females and my daughter, being 30ish and very attractive seemed to have made an impression on our wait staff. Amazingly, an invitation to dine with the Captain appeared for the evening before our transit through the canal. We invitees joined the Captain and some of his officers in one of the lounges for champagne before proceeding to the dining room. The dining table was set for 10 and there was an even number of men and women. DD was seated next to the Captain and I was next to a good friend of the Captain's. We had individual pictures taken with the Captain and after dinner he invited everyone at our table to come to the bridge the next morning to view our transit through the locks. We almost couldn't believe our good fortune that the people seated at his table were the only passengers allowed on the bridge the entire morning and they served us coffee along with a huge tray of Danish pastries. It was absolutely thrilling to be able to step out on the bridge wing and look down through the glass floor and see the lock path as we went through.

Will never forget a moment of that particular cruise experience.

Then I only sparkle for Radisson, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Never sparkled for Princess!! Write lovely letters to the Captains etc. and am totally ignored. Can't even get a polite reply from them. Last time, suggested I buy their video!! Sob sob - their loss - Princess have no class since being bought out. Love their cruises still - but not as much as we used to - hate their attitude!! Except for Berna of course - darling girl!!
Princess does not normally do the Captain's Table thing. I think I've seen the Captain of the ship in the dining room just once or twice, and that was on the old Royal Princess when it was the flagship. Instead, Princess hosts a lunch where the top 20 or so most-traveled passengers are invited to dine with the ship's officers.

Archived