Handicapped cruisers given priority use of elevators on RCI?

Off the Brilliance just three weeks ago.................no signs posted, but we had no problems at all. Most people held the door for us, or offered their spot if the elevator was full. We had no trouble waiting for an available spot because we always had nice folks to chat with............besides, we were never in a rush. Did find it easier to stay with the front elevators. They were larger and never busy except when the show got out.

Like you, Dee, we have never encountered this problem on any of the newer ships we travel on. If, at times, they are crowded, we are certainly never in that much of a hurry. And if it were a problem we would get on the first elevator with available space even though not goin in our direction - sooner or later it will be. I see absolutely no need for signs.:)

Let's see this all occurred on Nav. of the Seas (our 1st cruise)....I'd been trampled in a stampede for the elevator while on my scooter. I had people climb over me while on my scooter. My darling 6'5" husband finally figured out that he needed to stand in front of the elevator door & with his 'wingspan' blocks the way to anyone else, for 'the lady on the scooter' which is said in a loud voice with a slight sneer on his face. He actually said that he became a Terrorist for the Handicapped then.:) I actually think he enjoys shaming the others who are in such a hurry to climb over me.

And then there have been other times, on that cruise as well, where people couldn't be more gracious and helpful. I think it just depends on whether people are respectful of others.

This is obviously from someone who does not have to book cruises a year and an half in advance to ensure that they are able to book an accessible cabin. When you are UNABLE TO WALK AT ALL ON YOUR OWN ie PARAPLEGIA (I know that there are other conditions which leave one paralyzed) and COMPLETELY rely on a wheelchair rather than crawl, you need a "handicapped room". It is not a luxury! There are people who need to use wheelchairs and scooters for various conditions but who are able to get out of their chairs once in their cabin. They DO NOT REQUIRE the room which has wider doorways, room to manouver, entrance to the bathroom without a lip, a bathroom which is big enough to accommodate a wheelchair and a shower. We booked our South American cruise for February,2009 in August. There was one handicapped cabin left. There was also only one cabin left on the same cruise which left in April. I;'m willing to bet money that there will be many people in the handicapped cabins on both cruises who do not need the room. I can't believe that anyone actually has the cavalier attitude that people who occupy these cabins should not be accountable! You speak of people's rights. Do those who are permanently disabled not have any rights?

How callous!!!!!

which is accessible.

If your dad could not walk a great distance (therefore needing the closer handicapped spot) how was he able to walk around the store/mall? It always amzes me to see someone get out of their car in a handicapped parking space and see their car in the same spot much later. They need to be closer to the store because they have difficulty walking a distance until they get into the store and the problem disappears!

If your dad could not walk a great distance (therefore needing the closer handicapped spot) how was he able to walk around the store/mall? It always amazes me to see someone get out of their car in a handicapped parking space and see their car in the same spot much later. They need to be closer to the store because they have difficulty walking a distance- until they get actually into the store and the problem disappears! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

jojo: Once my DH gets into the mall, he can stop every few feet and sit down.....every mall we've ever gone to has sitting areas to rest in.....if they don't he goes into the mens room and sits there......After he's sat for a few moments he has enough energy to attempt to walk some more. He wants to try and live as normal a life as he can and does it any way he can!

Don't be so judgemental....you don't know other people's lives, nor should you!!!

Don't be so "amazed" at some people's handicaps and how they manage to "get by" or "get through" each day!

Go on about YOUR business; take care of YOURSELF; don't try to secondguess everyone else....if all the handicapped spaces are taken, you may be able to find another one that's as close......

I agree, there aren't enough of them....but, life is getting better and society is recognizing the "physically challenged" as human beings with rights!

There are people who need to use wheelchairs and scooters for various conditions but who are able to get out of their chairs once in their cabin. They DO NOT REQUIRE the room which has wider doorways, room to manouver, entrance to the bathroom without a lip, a bathroom which is big enough to accommodate a wheelchair and a shower.

Remember that wide doorways and widened spaces are NOT the only accommodation in accessible rooms. Many people need the other accommodations the room has, even if they are not in a wheelchair full-time or any of the time. Many, if not all, of those accommodations are in the bathroom.

Just like many ppl who don't use wheelchairs need the handrails in accessible public bathroom stalls - they DO require the use of such stalls even though they are not in wheelchairs. (Handlers of medium to large service dogs also need these stalls because they cannot fit their dogs in regular-sized stalls with them and the dogs cannot be left outside the stalls for MANY reasons.)

It's not worth the fight, I live with pain and have limited # of steps each day and if I go over, I will pay big time for months afterwards...(like right now, after Christmas, 4 days before my cruise, and I can barely walk around my house) but I digress.....I actually sometimes fake a limp so to avoid explaining myself to others who question, literally, why I am in a handicap spot! I am taking a limo to the airport, instead of long term parking. We would have to take a van from the parking lot to the terminal and if it is crowded, I may have to stand and strap hang. Do I ask someone to move for me? I don't look old and infirmed..... Once in a mall parking lot, I asked politely a women with her car door open fussing in her back seat with things to please let me pass so I could get into my car door that I was in pain and had had surgery. She exploded at me, launched into a tirade, and I was actually afraid for my safety. Some people just don't get it. They don't know how lucky they are. It's hard to be me sometimes.

Nancy: Be strong and don't be intimidated by morons!!!! Consider the source and move on!

Good for you for getting out and trying.....

I hope all your encounters in 2008 are with folks who have hearts and souls and lots of understanding...... (it's a dream...but, it could happen!)

Thanks Roz, I've been doing the "2 step" lately, 1 step forward and 2 steps back......It's been a bad year and 1/2. My DS tells me I need to be selfish and stop trying to please everyone....such a hard concept for the mom in me. Wish me luck on my cruise to St Martin, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba this coming week! I plan on doing the boardwalk or visiting a resort in St Martin, a private spice tour in Grenada, and shore snorkeling in Bonaire, I have no problem swimming! Dominica frankly frightens me, bumpy narrow roads, steep and slippery everything. I think I will convince DH to do something w/o me and I may take a day of rest reading on my balcony!

I've cancelled this trip twice trying to get better, I must accept my limitations as time keeps going by and so fast, too! How does that expression go.... "life is what happens while we are busy making plans..... '

Go girl....have a wonderful time and do take some time for you. Your DH will understand, if you stop trying to be so perfect and be honest with him and yourself. (Sorry, it sounded so much like me....)

It sounds so good, just relaxing, on your balcony reading a good book....yummy!!!!!! I love that "down time!"

Sit in a corridor or outside a lounge and do some serious "people watching", while reading!

I bet you won't be alone for very long! You're way too much fun for other folks not to enjoy you! ;)

Have a wonderful cruise....Bon Voyage! :)

The key to having a good time is to know your limits and not go past them, no matter how much you might want to (i.e. for a specific event or excursion). I know sometimes it is hard to measure your own limits, especially when you're having a blast, but try to take time out and do a self-check every now and again.

Relaxing on the balcony sounds wonderful - and I am sure that is something I'll be doing on my cruise some of the time, as well! :) I'll prob'ly be too tired to read, but I'll bring my headphones so I can listen to some music on my phone (with the phone part of it off so as not to pay a giant bill, of course!). I also have an addictive game on there that I've been trying to beat, but I can't play that when I'm tired (that's when I start losing the game a lot). I did these things (plus read a book) on the land vacation I just came back from a few days ago and it was wonderful. (I rested too much there, but that's what I needed, so that's the way things go. I did do some things, though.)

Thanks, Roz! :) It is harder than it sounds sometimes (especially when on vacation). After it took me three months to recover from the same land trip last year as well as after I had to miss my favorite ride at Disney last year because I tried to rush to something else and ended up in too much pain that night to go to the Extra Magic Hours of the park my favorite ride is in, I'm learning to take it easy, doing only as much as I can do and trying not to be disappointed about missing the other things. (Though I'm still sad about missing my favorite ride!! ;) Can't wait 'til my next Disney trip, although it was s'posed to be this year but the person I was going to take can't do it 'til next year now. But there's a possibility of TWO Disney trips, one with a group of ppl, next year, so all the better!)

Other ppl sometimes pushing you to do more things than you should doesn't help, either. It can be hard to say no!

Yeah, the one thing about being on the big ol' ship I'm not looking forward to is the long walk to the service dog potty box! (Their literature says they'll put it out on a deck somewhere, but maybe they'll be nice and put it somewhere close by like you, Roz, have tended to get on your cruises.) No vacation from caring for my service dog, but that's okay 'cause I love her and she loves me and we have fun together. :)

Quam: On our Princess cruises (Golden), the potty box was put 7 doors away from us, in a "service room" for the staff! I could walk her in my pajamas! I never had to go out into the cold or wind!

And, on Carnival it was put on our veranda (how convenient was that?)

I have had some ships HAL and Celebrity put the box on a deck, which meant I had to do some walking to get to it and dress for the occasion (warm clothes!)

If you have a veranda, insist that the box be put on it! If one line can do it so can the others!!!! They try to say that it's "health issue", baloney! :rolleyes:

I am going to be speaking with Celebrity (Mercury), for our upcoming cruise (15 days-cabin with window) and see if they can find a "storage room or closet" near our cabin to place the box, it just makes life so much easier!

I do have a balcony, but I was thinking of eating out there on occassion, so I don't want the potty box out there, too! ;)

I'll be on RCCL, so it will be interesting to see where they put the box - I'll definitely report back on that (although in the appropriate thread - I'm sorry for taking this thread over, folks!!).

Archived