Sailing Solo & Freestyle Dining

spcl4cs_gal

When sailing solo does the crew at the restaurants try and seat you with others (not necessarily solos) who are onboard, or do you dine alone? Just wondering what my week on the Dawn is going to be like. Thanks.

On any NCL cruise, you can request to be seated with others regardless of your party size. (a throwback to the traditional cruising.) Just like with larger parties, you may to wait awhile for them to find someone who would like to sit with others as well.

Of course, you probably will want to avoid the specialty restaurants since it is harder to match up people there since it is by reservation.

On any NCL cruise, you can request to be seated with others regardless of your party size. (a throwback to the traditional cruising.) Just like with larger parties, you may to wait awhile for them to find someone who would like to sit with others as well.

Of course, you probably will want to avoid the specialty restaurants since it is harder to match up people there since it is by reservation.

I really don't mind eating alone and plan to visit the specialty restaurants just the same. Sailing solo is a great way to people watch. :D

I sail with my husband, but I know what you mean about eating alone. Often I go down to the buffet or pool area and sit by myself and just watch! It is really interesting. And then sometimes it is so nice not to have conversation but just sit in silence.

On a recent cruise, when we boarded and went to the buffet a lady asked if a seat was taken at our table. There were plenty of empty tables. We chatted with her, had interesting conversation. Later throughout the cruise everybody seemed to know her name. I think she is a perfect example of how solo cruising can be quite fun. She took the steps to meet other cruisers and looked like she had a great time.

spcl4cs_gal

I sailed solo on the Dream last summer and asked some mornings to be seated with others in the main restaurant for breakfast. I met some very nice people that way and had dinner with some of them during the cruise.

There is a section for solo cruisers on CC which has an interesting (sometimes very funny) thread about dining alone in the speciality restaurants. The link is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=334576

I love solo travel/cruising, too. Have a great time.

spcl4cs_gal

I sailed solo on the Dream last summer and asked some mornings to be seated with others in the main restaurant for breakfast. I met some very nice people that way and had dinner with some of them during the cruise.

There is a section for solo cruisers on CC which has an interesting (sometimes very funny) thread about dining alone in the speciality restaurants. The link is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=334576

I love solo travel/cruising, too. Have a great time.

Thanks! I usually have room service bring me my breakfast so won't need to worry about table selection for that meal. Lunch I have done solo on HAL before and it was no big deal, so dinner will be the challenge. :)

When sailing solo does the crew at the restaurants try and seat you with others (not necessarily solos) who are onboard, or do you dine alone? Just wondering what my week on the Dawn is going to be like. Thanks.

The one time I was in the main dining room I was asked if I wanted to dine alone or with others (so was everyone else). I said I would like to share. I was seated at at table for four and within a minute a family of three was seated with me.

So basically it is your choice.

In the specialty restaurants restaurants I was never asked. I usually ended up at a table for two by myself.

Archived