Will we be happy with NCL?

rockymo

There are four of us who are confirmed Princess fans, but we want to see Hawaii and can"t take off the two weeks required to do Princess. We are thinking of booking the Pride of Hawaii or Pride of America. Will we be badly disappointed? We don't consider ourselves Princess snobs, but we revel in the service and are very happy with the food & drink service on Princess. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks so much.

Martha

We have cruised 18 times, mostly with RCI, but also twice with Hal, and once with Celebrity and Disney. 3 generations in our party of 8 did our first NCL-America cruise on the Pride of America in April, 2006. My expectations were not high, but I was pleasantly surprised, and we all had a very good time, probably more due to the beauty and interesting features of Hawaii than the ship, but we enjoyed the ship too. We are not fussy eaters and the food was good, and in Jefferson's Bistro and Tepanyaki it was excellent. We made dinner reservations for our group to cover the entire week. We ate twice in the main dining room, and it was fine. The shows were pretty good, and the ship is very colorful. North of Kuaii we saw whales, flying fish and dolphins from the ship. All of our group thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. Jim

I will be completely honest with you in this answer. (and it will upset some of the big time NCL supporters on here.

First, the good: we are looking into a cruise for next year and are limited to summertime because two of us are teachers. We have done Hawaii, Alaska and the Dawn and none of the other NCL summer offerings appeal to us. So we are looking at other cruise lines but we really love the Freestyle Concept of NCL. We hate to dress up and hate assigned dining times. Our Travel Agent says that we should try Princess next year since they are "have the closest thing to Freestyle" of the other lines. So you should feel comfortable.

Now, the bad: Let's be honest, there are severall threads on this board right now talking about the poor service on the Pride ships. Since the ships are American flagged, they have to have American crews and that seems to be the where the problem lies, the American workers are just not like the International workers on the other lines.

There have been some positive stories from those who have sailed on NCL America, but the negatives all carry the same basic theme: Service is slow and lacking compared to even the international ships in the NCL line.

With that said, I have been on the POA (Pride of Aloha) during her maiden voyages in 2004. (she was the first of the three) Yes, service was incredibly slow in the dining rooms, but our cabin stewards were excellent and the Cruise Director, Shore Excursion team and reception desk people were great. We are not hard to please in that area though. My wife is the type of person who would prefer to make up her own bed in hotel rooms and I have no problem getting up in a restaurant and getting the pitcher to refill my own drinks.

NCL America is not Princess (nor should NCL America be held indictitive of the rest of NCL) and the service is not as good, but you are in HAWAII! Second, the Pride ships are more port intensive than any other cruise. You actually spend very little time on board the ship. The ship is basically your floating hotel, restaurant for breakfast and dinner and your evening entertainment venue. You spend more time on shore than you do on the ship.

You also have to understand the Freestyle Concept. Many people who sail NCL don't like it because they don't like Freestyle. With Freestyle, you have no set dining time and no set tablemates. You go to the restaurant of your choice at the time of your choice just like at land restaurants. There may be a short wait in the main dining rooms just like on land. You also have to make reservations for the specialty restaurants and pay a cover charge. Finally, the best part of NCL, the choice to dress pretty much as you want, when you want and not be limited in your eating choices. Formal night is OPTIONAL. You can dress up or not dress up and still eat in ANY dining venue you want. (you have to be in at least resort casual...no jeans or shorts. Polo shirt and kahki pants are fine.) On Hawaii cruises, you will find that only about 30% will dress up even on Optional formal night. So you can leave the nice clothes at home. OR, if you like to dress up, you can do that as well!!

The other issue is the expense. We have talked about another Hawaii cruise, this time on the POAm or the POH, but after looking at the prices, we are leaning toward another cruise line and location. These cruises are a little pricey for the current level of service and the amount of time you are on the ship.

Can you afford to be gone for 10 days?? The Noweigan Wind (and soon the Sun) do 10 or 11 day Hawaii cruises that do basically the same ports, only with the extension to go to Fanning Island, Republic of Kiribit in order to meet the Jones Act. (the US law that says non-American flagged cruise ships have to stop at a foreign port.) This is one of NCL's international ships and probably will offer better service.

Hope this helps.

There are four of us who are confirmed Princess fans, but we want to see Hawaii and can"t take off the two weeks required to do Princess. We are thinking of booking the Pride of Hawaii or Pride of America. Will we be badly disappointed? We don't consider ourselves Princess snobs, but we revel in the service and are very happy with the food & drink service on Princess. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks so much.

Martha

While I am not a confirmed Princess fan (have been on Princess twice - first cruise, the service and food were fantastic, second one we were quite disappointed in both service and food). This will be our 6th cruise, and the only reason we are trying NCL is that they were the only line that was offering what we wanted for Hawaii. Port intensive, not wasting endless days at sea (while I love the cruise experience, my objective here is to see Hawaii). But as the previous poster mentioned, depends on what you are looking for. We are going on the POH in two months. Sure, I am concerned with the reviews that have been posted on CC but my focus is Hawaii and hope for the best with the ship.

Martha

from what I have been reading it's a gamble ...american crew seems to be allot behind the issues.....but if the itinerary and dates fit your time frame then your probably going to have to see for yourself....you can go on the same ship twice and have a different opinion each time....crews (waitresses, room stewards etc ) are suppose to be changed every 6 months.....so perhaps this is why there is such a difference in views.....good luck ;)

My $.02 - if you want a great way and perhaps the only way to really see 4 islands in 7 days then you will be happy. I my opinion NCLA is all about Hawaii and not the ship.

If you are looking for a great cruise then consider a different destination.

If you are looking for a good cruise and a great destination book it.

As you can gather, from reading the reviews, the all American crew seems to lack something we have all learned to expect from our cruising experience and cruising Hawaii is just what Shoreguy said, it isn't about cruising but about seeing as much of Hawaii as one cen in the shortest amount of time.

Food, we all know is very subjective: my experience has been most lines have similar food, some like NCL better, othes like Princess; I would guess if you really read the reviews it is about 50/50.

If you really do love Princess )I don't think of Princess loyalists as being Princess snobs anymore than NCL loyalist being NCL snobs, I reserve that title for those who are loyal to a couple other lines) you will find yourself comparing every little thing. That's ok, just remember the experience will be a little different than Princess. I know it will be hard not to compare, we have tried as have my clients who are loyal to a particular line, regardess. Book, expect to enjoy yourselves and remember there is no such thing as a bad cruise unless you let it become bad. NMNita

Martha

It is so hard to predict whether an NCLA experience will be good or bad. I have read a LOT of NCLA reviews since we are considering this for 2008.

A couple of trends I have noticed:

- If you don't like the concept of Freestyle dining, you will NOT be happy - research what Freestyle dining involves and see if it appeals. Also note that Freestyle dining is pretty well organized on NCL ships (because their international crews have years of experience with it) BUT on NCLA the relatively inexperienced American crews do not sound as efficient at Freestyle dining concept.

- If somewhat amateurish but for the most part, good-natured service bothers you, this may not be a good cruise fit.

- If you expect the same level and type of service that you get on internationally crewed ships (as opposed to American crewed ships) you will not be happy.

- Be prepared to immediately deal with any problems you encounter. If you let them stew, they will only seem worse. This seems a particular issue with Housekeeping which appears to be somewhat lacking in consistancy. You may get a good steward and have no problems OR you may get a bad steward OR you may get a so-so steward (cabin clean enough but towels forgotten on occasion). Do not settle for anything less than a clean cabin but be OK with the thought that you might have to call Housekeeping occasionally to get enough towels.

- Expect it to be a different cruising experience from your Princess cruises. .

How soon are you planning on traveling? Based on the most recent reviews, I think you might be wise to book on Pride of America rather than Pride of Hawaii. It seems like the POH is currently suffering from many of the issues that plagued the start-ups for both POA and POAm.

If I was lucky enough to be going in the near future, which I'm not, I probably wouldn't book POH for another year or so.

How soon are you planning on traveling? Based on the most recent reviews, I think you might be wise to book on Pride of America rather than Pride of Hawaii. It seems like the POH is currently suffering from many of the issues that plagued the start-ups for both POA and POAm.

If I was lucky enough to be going in the near future, which I'm not, I probably wouldn't book POH for another year or so.

That's what I am thinking of doing Ute_fan. POH appeals to me but it does seem to be still in the "breaking it in" stage. Since we would not be going before 2008, I think it would not be unreasonable to assume that by then it will be mostly over "start-up" issues. At this time though I think the OPs (assuming they are going relatively soon) would be best off with POAM.

As you can gather, from reading the reviews, the all American crew seems to lack something we have all learned to expect from our cruising experience and cruising Hawaii is just what Shoreguy said, it isn't about cruising but about seeing as much of Hawaii as one cen in the shortest amount of time.

People are there to see the islands, yes, but they also have paid a substantial amount of money to enjoy the amenities of a cruise ship while touring those islands. I've heard other people make statements like this: "It's Hawaii...how bad can it be?" Or "Just spend as much time as possible off ship."

But is a cruise, after all, much more than a means of conveyance, and a costly one at that. Service should be top notch. I don't buy the arguments from these people telling others to simply lower their expectations, and everything will be all right.

That's what I am thinking of doing Ute_fan. POH appeals to me but it does seem to be still in the "breaking it in" stage. Since we would not be going before 2008, I think it would not be unreasonable to assume that by then it will be mostly over "start-up" issues. At this time though I think the OPs (assuming they are going relatively soon) would be best off with POAM.

Zeno,

I think ( ;) ) you enjoy the Sun, so why not consider the 10 or 11 day cruises to Fanning Isl.? International crew, so the service problems shouldn't be a factor.

-Monte

People are there to see the islands, yes, but they also have paid a substantial amount of money to enjoy the amenities of a cruise ship while touring those islands. I've heard other people make statements like this: "It's Hawaii...how bad can it be?" Or "Just spend as much time as possible off ship."

But is a cruise, after all, much more than a means of conveyance, and a costly one at that. Service should be top notch. I don't buy the arguments from these people telling others to simply lower their expectations, and everything will be all right.

In fact the pricing is rock bottom considering it is Hawaii. No way you could see 4 islands, eat 3 meals a day, pay for transportation and entertainment and do it for anywhere near the current price.

I just got a special emailed for $1200 for a balcony on the POAM including air. Land based I could spend that much on just transportation to get to and from 4 islands

I don't believe folks are being asked to lower expectations but to set the correct expectations.

Keep in mind there is not a pool of experienced US workers like the 100,000s of experienced international crew. Once NCLA builds that pool the service will loose many of the bumps and the price will reflect it. The old HI American Line was always 2x a Caribbean cruise. That day will come again or NCLA will be gone.

Enjoy the bargains while you can,

It is a cruise that is all about the ports not the ship. I am doing a 10 day transatlantic which is all about the ship since there are no ports.:)

Zeno,

I think ( ;) ) you enjoy the Sun, so why not consider the 10 or 11 day cruises to Fanning Isl.? International crew, so the service problems shouldn't be a factor.

-Monte

I would love to go on the Sun (which was a wonderful 2x experience for us) BUT I am not a days-at-sea person - two is about my max. However I have not completely discounted doing this. Oh well nothing will be firmed up until 2007 at the earliest (and it may not even be a cruise for us - it is one of about 5 options we are considering). Our friend will most likely be coming with us and she always has the final word on deciding which cruise(or vacation) we take together.

I would love to go on the Sun (which was a wonderful 2x experience for us) BUT I am not a days-at-sea person - two is about my max. However I have not completely discounted doing this. Oh well nothing will be firmed up until 2007 at the earliest (and it may not even be a cruise for us - it is one of about 5 options we are considering). Our friend will most likely be coming with us and she always has the final word on deciding which cruise(or vacation) we take together.

We're looking at about 5 different options as well, so I know what you mean.

-Monte

It is so hard to predict whether an NCLA experience will be good or bad. I have read a LOT of NCLA reviews since we are considering this for 2008.

A couple of trends I have noticed:

- If you don't like the concept of Freestyle dining, you will NOT be happy - research what Freestyle dining involves and see if it appeals. Also note that Freestyle dining is pretty well organized on NCL ships (because their international crews have years of experience with it) BUT on NCLA the relatively inexperienced American crews do not sound as efficient at Freestyle dining concept.

- If somewhat amateurish but for the most part, good-natured service bothers you, this may not be a good cruise fit.

- If you expect the same level and type of service that you get on internationally crewed ships (as opposed to American crewed ships) you will not be happy.

- Be prepared to immediately deal with any problems you encounter. If you let them stew, they will only seem worse. This seems a particular issue with Housekeeping which appears to be somewhat lacking in consistancy. You may get a good steward and have no problems OR you may get a bad steward OR you may get a so-so steward (cabin clean enough but towels forgotten on occasion). Do not settle for anything less than a clean cabin but be OK with the thought that you might have to call Housekeeping occasionally to get enough towels.

- Expect it to be a different cruising experience from your Princess cruises. .

Am I missing something? From what I understand Freestyle dinning is eating when you want, with whom you want and with only a few restrictions, wearing what you want. I don't understand how anybody could be against that. If they are all your own choices how can you disagree with yourself?

Am I missing something? From what I understand Freestyle dinning is eating when you want, with whom you want and with only a few restrictions, wearing what you want. I don't understand how anybody could be against that. If they are all your own choices how can you disagree with yourself?
Tom, you are completely right but I think what Zeno was pointing out is; the American crew doesn't have the experience is dealing with the open seating concept so it doesn't run quite as smoothly as in regular NCL ships. The Pride of America are getting the best reviews right now. I think some of us are just trying to point out: there will be differences in sailing with an primarily American crew but the itinerary makes up for this. BTW, I don't think many are going to say the service or food is terrible, just maybe not as smooth as on the ships. As I have said before and as Shoreguy said, it is a great, inexpenisve way to see Hawaii. NMNita

My sentiments exactly. But there are some who somehow can't seem to grasp the concept. Or maybe they just think everything's better because they're wearing a tux or ball gown. :rolleyes:

Please do not think that freestyle cruising means eating when you want, where you want and with who you want, especially if you have a party of eight or more people. What freestyle means to me, is that you must make reservations for the entire week for your party on the first day of the cruise. Even though while you are onboard you will see a lot of empty tables in the dinning rooms, but they will not seat you without a reservation, and when you ask to make a resevation for the following evening they will say they are booked. Freestyle was very frustrating for me. I will be boarding the Caribbean Princess on August 5, 2006 and will try their Personal Choice Dinning option. This will by my first Princess Cruise.

What freestyle means to me, is that you must make reservations for the entire week for your party on the first day of the cruise. .

Reservations are not required for the majority of the "free" dining rooms. And if you're not especially picky about the time you want to eat, you can usually get reservations for the dining rooms requiring them later in the week.

-Monte

Huh ? What is your point? I don't say anywhere that I am against Freestyle cruising - I LOVE it. You can still eat when you want,with whom you want and (with a few minor restrictions) wearing what you want on NCLA. My point is that on the NCL ships, the dining room staff are experienced in Freestyle dining and therefore are quite efficient at it. I think on NCLA, the lack of experience of the American crew seems to be a problem getting Freestyle dining room service up to the NCL level we NCL cruisers are used to.

On a regular NCL cruise, you may have a few new dining room servers but most will be experienced - On NCLA the opposite is true.

Please do not think that freestyle cruising means eating when you want, where you want and with who you want, especially if you have a party of eight or more people. What freestyle means to me, is that you must make reservations for the entire week for your party on the first day of the cruise. Even though while you are onboard you will see a lot of empty tables in the dinning rooms, but they will not seat you without a reservation, and when you ask to make a resevation for the following evening they will say they are booked. Freestyle was very frustrating for me. I will be boarding the Caribbean Princess on August 5, 2006 and will try their Personal Choice Dinning option. This will by my first Princess Cruise.

Only the specialty restaurants require reservations. The main dining rooms do NOT require reservations - although of course a large group is likely to have to wait a few minutes to be seated.

I don't care what ship you cruise, parties of 8 or more are not easy to handle. You are going to, most likely find the same situation on Princess. If you are traveling with a large group again you will need to discuss this with the dining room manager the first night, give him/her an idea of what time you want to eat and be on time. There are very few tables set up to seat 8 or 10 people and you aren't the only ones that want to be together. If you are a party of 6 or less it truely does mean what it says except for the specialty restaurants. Those you do need reservation for. We have cruised freestyle on NCL 5 times with groups from 2 of us to 6 and never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes: we have eaten as early as 5:45pm and as late as 7:30pm. Our transatlantic cruise last fall, we did have large groups on a couple of occassions and did have to wait a little longer. NMnita

Huh ? What is your point? I don't say anywhere that I am against Freestyle cruising - I LOVE it. You can still eat when you want,with whom you want and (with a few minor restrictions) wearing what you want on NCLA. My point is that on the NCL ships, the dining room staff are experienced in Freestyle dining and therefore are quite efficient at it. I think on NCLA, the lack of experience of the American crew seems to be a problem getting Freestyle dining room service up to the NCL level we NCL cruisers are used to.

On a regular NCL cruise, you may have a few new dining room servers but most will be experienced - On NCLA the opposite is true.

Oh, ok. My mistake. What you said here makes sense. Hopefully the green American crew will have enough practice at it to be up to par by October when we go on our honeymoon.

Archived