Glory tips (probably applies to other ships, too)

eeclwa

Hey there!

We are scheduled to go Eastern Caribbean on Glory Sept 2-9, but we did the Western Caribbean on Glory last year.

I believe our tickets say you should be prepared to be on-board by 2p. Either way, if you're not arriving until 11:15am, and it's a 45 minute ride to the port, I'd plan on going directly to the ship and boarding as soon as you can. There will be some wait at the port, as you get your paperwork in order. Once on board, take your carry-ons to your room and hit the Lido deck. You can get a little lunch and then be ready for the safety drill (Which is done before the ship leaves, thus the reason you need to be on-board so early). Make sure you are up on deck to watch the ship leave port. On the port side (Left) you'll be able to see Cape Canaveral, where the shuttle takes off. Look for the big rectangular building with the giant flag painted on it. I don't know when the space shuttle is returning, but that would be really cool if it came back as you were leaving port.

They offer drinks to you as you board. Remember, it's not free, but it should be in a Commemerative Glass. Get this drink and the glass as soon as you can, because you get a discount on "drink of the day" refills in the glass and the glass is bigger than the cups they give you with full priced drinks.

In your stateroom you'll find any excursion tickets you've pre-purchased. Double check them to make sure they are right. You'll also find out when your dinner seating is and what table you'll be at. You can go to the dining room and check out where your table is. If you need to make changes to your table or time, do it immediately. There will probably be a line to get those changed and there is no guarantee that you'll be able to change anything.

I've read a lot of posts and reviews lately. I understand that the chocolate chip cookies from room service are to die for. And one person suggested ordering them in the afternoon and then taking them up for a late night snack, to the ice cream machines. They also have brownies at room service that you could do the same with.

Remember, ANYTHING in the little fridge in your room COSTS MONEY. Including the bottled water. If you think about it, the water from the taps on-board HAS to be filtered. Take your own bottle and fill it from the drinking fountain or the sink in your room. The bottles offered on-board are expensive!!

Another suggestion I've heard is, if you have an interior room, put your tv on the bow camera when you go to sleep. As the sun comes up in the morning, it will show on your TV and your room will slowly get lighter, just as if you had a window. Plus you'll see what the weather is like.

There is a fish and chips restaurant above the Red Sail Restaurant. We didn't even realize this last time. I understand they are quite good. (And free)

The pizza is available 24 hours...and it's DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

The Supper Club does not have vegetarian options. The dining room had a vegetarian option at each meal. Your wait staff is pretty good at remembering what you like, if you just make sure to let them know. IE, if you want a Coke each night at dinner, just say so and it will probably be waiting for you when you arrive.

Oh...and Coke, no Pepsi. If you are a die-hard Mt Dew fan, bring your own. We found out the hard way. Even Mexico is Coke...No Pepsi. My poor husband was in withdrawl for 8 days!! You can carry on at least a 12 pack each...I saw that happening last time. We'll be carrying on Mt Dew in September, you can be sure of that.

For first timers, You can take your drinks and food with you anywhere you go. You want to take your buffet food back to your room? Go ahead. Your not done with your iced tea yet but you are with lunch? Take it with you. I suggest, though, that you don't just set your cup on the floor when you are done with it. Find a table or counter. Don't be a slob. If you leave it in your room, they will take it when they clean your room. Along those lines, if you have a cake or food in your room, they'll leave that, but will take your silverware. Just pick up more silverware from the buffet. I wouldn't take the dinner silverware...though I suppose you could.

I tended to have one cup for the entire day. Then I left it in my room at dinner and it was gone when we returned to the cabin. I'd get a new one the next day. It seems like the room was always cleaned during dinner.

Oh, and if you aren't planning on eating dinner in the dining room any night, it is common curtesy to let your wait staff know. You will have the same head waiter and the same assistant (unless one of them gets a night off...one night) each night. You will get to know them; they will get to know you. Joke with them, have fun...be a real person...learn their name and use it. THANK THEM EACH NIGHT! If you see them around the ship working in one of the other areas, SAY HI!! Acknowledge them. Tell them about your day. They will treat you better and you will have a better time. They are people, too...and they are working hard. Remember, they worked the last cruise, too...and the one before that, and before that...They don't get much time off. Most likely they will be from a different country than the US, and they will probably have an accent. Ask where they are from.

Just a couple other tips...I have so many! There is a hair dryer in your room. It may not be in the bathroom, though. There is also shampoo and soap in a dispenser in your shower. There is also a small, retractable clothes line in your shower, so if you have to wash something in the sink, you can hang it dry...or for your swim suit. They also give you a little basket with trial sized stuff in it, like one razor, lotion, toothpaste, etc.

OH!! and a biggie...do NOT flush the toilet while you are still sitting on it!! And if you scare easily...prepare yourself before you DO flush it. Don't flush it while someone is sleeping (ie at night).

The shower is AWESOME! Lots of pressure!!

If you get seasick...just take dramamine before bed each night. You won't feel the side effects, because they would appear while you are sleeping if they appear at all and you won't have any problems during the day.

USE THE SAFE. You'll need a credit card to use it. It doesn't charge anything, they just use the strip on the back as a lock combination. That way, only that credit card will open it. If you have a credit card that both of you carry, use that one, because then you'll have two cards that can open it (the two cards would have the same information in the strip, because they are for the same account). Don't use your Sail & Sign card for the safe.

My post is getting too long, I'll end it here. Maybe I'll add more later.

I had to laugh when you said don't flush when someone is sleeping. My kids "hollered" "fire in the hole"....on their first cruise. That is what it reminded them of.

I had to laugh when you said don't flush when someone is sleeping. My kids "hollered" "fire in the hole"....on their first cruise. That is what it reminded them of.

I think I did the same thing ... especially after the midnight Mexican buffet .... ;)

Archived