Warnemunde

birdrock96

If you just want to see Warnemunde you don't need a tour. It is right next to where the Oceania ships dock and you can stroll around town easily by walking even if you are not "fit". It is a cute little resort town. The beach is also close if you want to go there. I can't comment on what to do if you want to see Rostock because we only went to Warnemunde. It was a nice leisurly day. They have lots of shops and restaurants along the harbor canal and a nice park/garden area where you can sit and people watch. It was a sunny weekend day and there were lots of people there. The town square with shops and cathedral is only about a block away from the harbor area. We used that as a rest day as we'd been to Berlin before and had no desire to spend 12-15 hours for just a few hours sightseeing in Berlin.

Carolyn

There is a ferry from Warnemunde to Rostock that leaves adjacent to where Oceania docks. It is cheap, they have food and drink onboard and it is worth the effort. You will still have plenty of time to see Warnemunde afterwards. Warnemunde is definitely best done without a tour. it is as easy as walking your own neighborhood, only more interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

The ship docks about 200 meters from the train station in Warnemunde. It is a 20 minute train ride from there to Rostock. Once in the Rostock station, go down stairs and get on the local trolley and ride it 2 or 3 stops. You can then walk the 1/4 mile to the city center.

The bigger question is why you would want to go in to Rostock. There is absolutely nothing to see or do there. I would either stay on the ship and rest, go to Berlin, or walk around Warnemunde (not a very exciting option either).

The Wild Hanlons

• 3 months later...

My wife and I took the train into Rostock - she went shopping in the main shopping district - I rode the trolley, various lines, including through the backside of The Zoo.

Contrary to what the Wild Hanlons said, we enjoyed Rostock very much, thought it very nice. I got a very good sausage from a street vendor in the main square by the trolley terminal, and my wife enjoyed the botiques on the main drag.

Train station is a very easy walk from the dock, perhaps 100 or so yards.

Archived