Overnight at one port

erms

I was wondering for those of you that have been at a port for more than a day, are passengers permitted to come and go as they please during the port stay? I ask because we will be in Buenos Aires for two days and Rio de Janiero for 3 days.

Esther

On our Hawaii cruise we tendered overnight off Maui. The tenders ran every 20 minutes up until a certain time (e.g., 9:00 or 10:00pm, I think) and then every hour after that. I know because we had a dawn bike ride and had to meet the pickup van at 3:30am!!

I'm not sure about South America, do hopefully someone else can confirm for you :)

mary

Not sure about Celebrity, but when we were in BA and Rio overnight (on HAL) you could come and go as you please (we were pleased to be in bed at a reasonable hour). Both ports have large piers. No tendering required.

I've now been to Rio twice and my only advice is: BE CAREFUL. Out of all my travels, Rio was the most uncomfortable I've ever felt as a tourist, and I've been to places like Vietnam and Sri Lanka. Don't wear any jewelry whatsoever, don't keep anything of value in any pockets and don't go out by yourself at night. The dock area for Rio is not in a good area and is quite scarey at night.

I've now been to Rio twice and my only advice is: BE CAREFUL. Out of all my travels, Rio was the most uncomfortable I've ever felt as a tourist, and I've been to places like Vietnam and Sri Lanka. Don't wear any jewelry whatsoever, don't keep anything of value in any pockets and don't go out by yourself at night. The dock area for Rio is not in a good area and is quite scarey at night.

Does this mean you were on a Celebrity cruise ship? And thank you for the safety tips.

Esther

Not sure about Celebrity, but when we were in BA and Rio overnight (on HAL) you could come and go as you please (we were pleased to be in bed at a reasonable hour). Both ports have large piers. No tendering required.

I would think Celebrity would be the same as HAL but thought I better check just in case. I doubt we will be out and about at all hours of the night but since this is the "Carnaval" cruise who knows we just might make this an exception.

Thanks again for the response,

esther

Both times I was on Crystal, but the dock area is the same for any passenger ship. Our ship photographer was attacked, in broad daylight, in Rio while with a tour group. She went down another street to take a picture of an interesting building, and two men approached her with broken bottles and stole all her equipment. Carnivale is an even more dangerous time as all the nasty elements of society come out to take advantage of the tourists. Never leave your group when you're watching the parade and don't wander off into the crowd. A group of men went to a soccer match in Rio, and 5 out of the 7 were pickpocketed. It's really one of the worst places I've ever been to as far as crime is concerned. Beautiful place, but very, very high crime.

True, crime rate is high in Rio, like in many ports in South America and elsewhere. The key is to stay with a group and show no jewelry, fancy cameras, etc. When I was there staying in a hotel on Copacabana Beach, the doorman would make us remove our watches before heading out for the day. Keep your wits about you, do not flash anything (money, gold, camera, binoculars, etc) and use a money belt - like in Europe) and you should be OK. I was with a large conference of mostly women and we had no serious problems at all.

Lots of other safety tips. Find out which are licensed approved cabs and avoid the 'gypsy' cabbies who approach you offering a good fare. Confirm fare amount up front. Watch for 'diversions' - team of pickpockets - mother asking you to hold child for a moment - group of kids, often with some holding folded newspapers over arms to shield view of theft. In Rome, some con artists dress in suits and pose as undercover police asking to see your papers, giving them chance to make a move on valuables. Pickpockets also frequent crowded public busses. Rick Steves mentions a trip in Europe where 4 of the five pairs in his group had their cameras stolen at different times after they set them down momentarily.

Let me add my two cents worth about Rio. I wholeheartedly agree with Kitty9. We started our cruise/tour in Rio. The night before we arrived a person was killed just off the property at the Rio Sheraton where we stayed. One of the members of our group had his arm slashed by thieves who tried to cut his watch off his arm. While waiting for the tram at Corcovado our guides told us not to step out of the waiting area onto the street as it was very dangerous even though there was a number of street vendors peddling their wares.

I have been many places around the world but there has never been a place I was as constantly concerned about my safety as when I was in Rio. I do not ever care to return there.

Archived