Space Bags

I'm sure this topic has been covered countless times, but I'm too lazy to hunt the threads down so I'll start a new one :D. I was looking at the American Tourister/Samsonite Space Bags for packing and they are described as "medium" and "large" in the set I was looking at. What the HECK does that mean???? Does anyone know what "large" means and what size suitcase it would likely fit in? How many can you usually get in a suitcase? I don't have any illusions about them keeping garments from wrinkling, but are they worthwhile for packing clothes that can stand the squishing?

They will definitely not keep clothing from wrinkling, I never believe that is the intention of them But, they are great for jammies, underwear, swim wear, jackets and sweaters (if you need to take them). Be careful you don't pack so much into them you overdo the weight limit, though.

I use a combination of space bags, packing envelopes and Ziploc bags. I would hate for a security person to paw through my underwear and mess up my suitcase. The stuff I don't want to wrinkle goes into the garment bag, protected with dry cleaner bags that keep some air in to cushion the clothes.

DH thinks I'm anal, but is always grateful for my packing ability. Now I bet I'm going to have a packing nightmare in my sleep tonight.

I have a large space bag that just fits into a 22 in carry on bag. It is best for larger itens like sweaters, jackets. I have used them for traveling to cooler climates where I am carrying bulky items that can be compressed without wrinkeling.

For the Caribbean I use zip locks to pack small items, undies and such and also T shirts, swimsuits, etc. Once on the ship I put them right into the drawers in the bags.

I have a medium one and an extra large one. The medium one has a wind suit, four pairs of undies and a few other very small things in it. The extra large one will be for my feather/down pillow, which I will slip into the outside pocket of my suitcase or into my carry-on for part of the land tour in Alaska. I used zip locks for undies, slips, hose, etc.

I agree, the clothes do wrinkle- but the space they save is priceless!

I love my space bags! I use them for dirty clothes......just fill them up with the dirties, then roll them up to take home. Who cares if they're wrinkled, and saves a lot of space for all the new stuff I bought.........

I read somewhere on here a recommendation to use ziploc bags and save money on the space bags. I bought some and have packed but by the next morning they are all inflated! Any suggestions on a particular brand that has worked (I bought store brand at Krogers)?

Most of my clothes are wrinkle free to begin with so that is not an issue for me. I just want to conserve space and keep the airlines from pawing through my clothing!!

Just 12 days to go for Dawn Princess to Alaska!!!

The Ziploc bags work great for some things, but they just aren't the same as the space bags. It may have to do with the seal not being completely sealed, or maybe the plastic is thinner on the Ziploc bags.

We use a combination of the different bags. I use the space bags for items I don't mind getting wrinkled, packing cubes and envelopes for casual clothes, dry cleaner bags for dresses and suits. We take along Ziploc bags for items like bathing suits that may still be damp. The Ziploc (even the 2 gallon) are quite a bit smaller than the space bags we have. I do have to say, though, using the Ziplocs would still keep you more organized and security would not make a mess searching your bag if they open it.

The great part about the packing envelopes is they will last forever, while space bags can puncture and are fairly useless after that. They compress the clothes without reducing all the air. If you are very careful about the way you fold your clothing, you will not have to worry about wrinkles.

Just be careful packing with space saver bags, the weight can creep up, make sure to weigh your bag before going to your airport.

I was looking at packing cubes on ebags today. They look pretty neat. I've used ZipLocs for small stuff forever, couldn't travel without them. I guess I need to evaluate what the majority of clothes I'm bringing would best be served by... packing cube or space bag.

Zip-loc or space bags-- use either one, not only for clothes but for personal care items as well. I learned this lesson the hard way by having an item on clothing ruined due to a shampoo bottle breaking open at the plastic seam line.:eek: Nothing is completely foolproof -- all liquids now go into double ziploc bags. :D

To keep down on the weight when saving so much space using the bags, I like to put bubble wrap in first and last then I have it for breakable souvenirs for the return home.

If I don't need it all, there is always someone in need and grateful to get it.

Happy Sails ;) Colette

Archived