Looking for ideas on things to do in Cozumel

dannyt818

Hi! My husband and I will be spending one day in Cozumel in August. We have decided that we definately don't want to book an excursion through the ship. We have read about all the beaches on the island...we're looking for a semi-secluded, non-crowded beach or lagoon (??) to do some snorkeling and swimming. Somewhere that we can lay our beach blanket out and bask in the sun and relaxxx! We have our own snorkeling gear and are willing to take a cab. We have debated on renting a car, but decided it was too much of a risk and liability. Does anyone know if the place we are looking for exists and where it is?? Thank you!!

We took a taxi to Chaankanaub Park the last time we were in Cozumel. The snorkeling is pretty good, especially if you take a snack-pack box of cereal from breakfast and sprinkle it in the water. That's what one of the waiters suggested we do. Well, we did, and after being swarmed by fish (!) and watching all the cereal disappear, one fish took a chunk out of DH's shoulder! I think it was probably the first time a fish was able to say he got a nibble, but his "catch" got away!

If you are open to it, rethink your car rental plan. Cozumel is a great place to rent b/c its a small island, easy to navigate, decent roads, and the only place yu will find traffic is in town (which you can avoid).

If you rent, turn right out of the rental area, going away from town, and head for Playa Bonita. There is a small restaurant there with decent chairs and a good beach. I've eaten there any times and it's always been great. You can also continue past Playa Bonita and find very nice beaches; they just have no infrastructure. Park your car, grab your towel, and enjoy the sand and surf. Then you can go to Playa Bonita (or elsewehre for lunch).

These options are generally crowd / tourist free, and really give you an more authentic Cozumel experience.

if we did rent a car do we need to book it in advance or just when we get there?? thank you

Just get it when you arrive. There are rental locations at or near most of the piers. I always use Executive and have never had a problem. Executive will somtimes even have people on the tenders to start the rental process. You can get a car with a removable top of $40/ day and a jeep for $50/day.

Chanknaab Park was extensively damaged by Hurricane Wilma as Aldubba suggested. But, we are happy to report that after massive quanities of manhours and monies it is now reopened. Chanknaab is definately worth having on your agenda. However, it probably won't fit your secluded and non-crowded criteria.

As GMoney suggested there are several beaches, such as Playa Bonita on the east side of the island, that might be a better fit for you. Personally we prefer Chen Rios over Playa Bonito. If you rent a car you could easily spend some time at a beach and go to Chanknaab Park.

Please DON"T rent a moped on Cozumel. Riding a moped on Cozumel is extremely dangerous. Serious moped accidents and fatalities are common in Cozumel. Mopeds do not have the same weight distribution, balance and acceleration of motercycles.

The east side beaches will definitly fit the secluded and part of what you are looking for but except for Chen Rio, swimming is extremely dangerous due to strong currents and rip tides.

There are some beaches on the west side where you can snorkel, swim and lounge in a less crowded,more relaxing environ than say Chankanaab or the very popular beach clubs.

Suggest you consider Palmar Beach club, Playa Palancar, DzulHa, Playa Azul and Coral Princess Hotel. Keep in mind that most of the west side beaches are manmade on iron shore coast. here are some websites to assist you:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Palmar

http://cozumelmexico.net/Dzul_Ha.html

http://cozumelmexico.net/Playa_Palancar.html

http://www.coralprincess.com/

Playa Azul Beach is just north of playa Azul Hotel and is very quiet and laid back...not fancy...Coral Princess welcomes day guests for snorkeling as long as you purchase beverages etc.

These are easy taxi rides from any pier.

Hope this helps

When you arrive at the pier, you'll have lots of car rental vendors approach you. I think we negotiated a rate of about $40 for a jeep for the day.

Drive down to the Intercontinental Hotel south of town. I think the guards at the entrance now charge a day rate fee of about $20pp to enter the grounds but we talked them into letting us in to take a few pictures only and check rates at the desk free. Very, very safe area. (During a stay at this hotel a few years back, I forgot my camera and bag on the front seat of the open air jeep and it was there the following day.) We have stayed at this hotel in the past and loved it. Due to a previous hurricane (prior to our cruise visit in 9/05, another one has hit since) they were doing construction to parts of the hotel due to damage but the beach, water, and coral looked as beautiful as I remembered. (The water looks crystal clear like the water from those Corona beer commercials). The hotel is secluded and is adjacent(1/4th mile)to the closed state park and I think the waters are even better at the hotel. Most of the Intercontinental hotels' coastline is coral but they have man-made beaches and multiple piers for you to enter the water to snorkel. They also have a sandy beach entry. Very nice pool. On that 1 day visit, I think I saw a total of 5 guest on the property and they were all around the pool.

This place would make a great quiet beach day with perfect snorkeling.

Here are some photos and virtual tour of the hotel from their website:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic/1/en/hpt/CZMHA/2/pt

My photos from that one-day visit can be found on pages 3 and 4 here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/459608638UVGNWt/0

Also to get a feel of Cozumel, go to the downtown square and shops. Not the mall where the ships dock.

This is my suggestion.:)

im Going On A Cruise To Cozumel In Oct 06 With My Husband And Two Kids. I Have No Idea On What The Best Shore Excursion To Do. Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions? We Thought About Doing The Sail, Snorkel And Beach Party Has Anyone Done This And Would They Recommend This? Please Let Me Know Thanks

I spent the 4th of July in Cozumel; we were there for 8 days and fell in love with DzulHa.

Don't pay for a snorkel tour because you'll be snorkeling with the people who swim in from the shore. All of the beaches are free; as all of the locals will tell you, no one owns the beaches. They do own the equipment.

Chanknaab Park is not free; it is a national park.

Archived