Aft Cabin 1600/Radiance/Repo Cruise May 18-07

Hello,

I will be sailing on the Repo cruise from San Diego to Vancouver on May 17, 07 if aft cabin 1600. Has anyone stayed in this particular cabin? If so can you please let me know if we did the right thing by choosing this suite. We are younger so the walk is ok. Secondly has anyone sailed on this type of reposisitoning cruise in the past, and if so, how did you like it? We just sailed on the Sapphire Princess on a repo cruise from LA to Vancouver this past May. That was our first cruise so we are pretty excited to be going again.

Thanks,

Steve

We were in 1600 on the Serenade, which I believe would be identical to the Radiance. We are in our 50s, but the walk was too much for us. The cabin was inconvenient to the Windjammer, even though it is directly above the suite. The bed was on an angled wall. It was a particularly rough cruise and we felt all of the motion. The reason I mention the bed is because it was very disorienting trying to sleep on the odd angle. I'm all for being rocked to sleep on a ship, but head-to-toe or side-to-side is enough for me. I was more comfortable on the couch most nights.

The motion was much more pronounced than midship. The balcony wasn't huge -- nor was it wraparound. It was very noisy from the activity above us in the Windjammer outside area. We wouldn't do aft again, even if it was given to us as an upgrade. We tried to get a different cabin when we were on the cruise, but it was sold out. Next year, it will be a GS midship!

--Judy

Steve: While we have not sailed on Radiance, we have in fact sailed in this cabin twice on the Serenade (sister ship). Personally, we love this cabin. It has a different floor plan than anyother cabin on the ship. To us, it is like having an apartment on the ship and not another 'postage stamp' cabin.

While you will find that there is a contingent of those who dislike this cabin, the layout or the walk to get there, we have found those points to be a PLUS for us. You will find this to be a very quiet area of the ship! The only people back there are those who have cabins in the area. Also a quiet balcony that while not oversized (like some aft balconies), does hold 2 loungers, a table and 2 chairs. Simply perfect for 2!!!

As this is one of the 1st GS cabins to be filled (usually) that should tell you your decision was correct. We haven't done this repo, so can't help you there, but sounds like you have done something simular. Enjoy!

Bruce

PS: Now see the above post, will simply say that this was/is not our experience w/ this cabin. And we are nearing/at 50 (do I have to go there?).

We did this cruise in 2003 on the Radiance and loved it. At that time it was a 7 day cruise, with one day in Catalina, but every one since then has been 6 night.

Can't help you with the cabin info, as we usually book side balcony cabins. We are doing the SF-Vancouver repo next May and we have a nice hump cabin on deck 7.

We've been in 1600 on Brilliance, and really enjoyed it. We're "afties," so the long walk didn't bother us a bit (we're in our 50s & need all the exercise we can get). It only takes about a minute to walk down the hall, and when you go up one flight, you're right at the entrance to the WJ. We're going to try a hump GS next year for comparative research purposes.:D I've read on CC that those cabins have an extra window, making them lighter than 1600, but I didn't find 1600 to be all that dark, either.

I never noticed any odd rocking of the bed, although we had pretty smooth sailing in the Med. My only quibble (and it truly is a quibble) is that the layout isn't very practical. There's a long entryway/hallway leading into the cabin, which is very grand, but basically wasted space. The closet, vanity and bed are too close together and it made getting ready for dinner a very awkward event. Basically, one of us had to get ready while the other one sat someplace else, otherwise there was some snappishness. Had I designed the ship, I would have made the cabin directly forward of 1600 a D-1 instead of a JS and used the extra space in 1600.

We also didn't notice any particular noise from the WJ - maybe some conversations, but nothing all that distracting from the awesome view of the wake.

Here's a link to some pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/album/548912195NSbhAjd

We've done repo cruises on Princess, but not RCI. I love them, although I prefer the 7+ nighters to the 3-night nonstops. Because we live in LA and have visited most of the cities on the itineraries already, we tend just to get off the ship and visit with friends or see a sight we've always meant to but didn't ever get around to it, such as Alcatraz in SF.

If you've already done the Sapphire repo, you know that the water can get a little choppy north of San Francisco, but otherwise there's just nothing bad about those cruises.

Steve~~

This is your second cruise? You will love this stateroom. Although everything posted above is true, 1600 really is a very nice stateroom. It is beautiful being on the aft of the ship---very peaceful watching the wake, and you do not have the major overhang of the deck above as you would in a GS anywhere else on the ship. You will have a very free and open feeling on your balncony.

And speaking of GS, you will have concierge service, which is just the best on the Radiance class vessels---the concierge lounge has floor to ceiling windows. If Willie is back from his vacation, you will enjoy him. The lounge has espresso and cappucino and little breakfasty items in the morning; espresso etc. available during the afternoon too, and between 5:30 and 8:30 there are fancy snacks and complimentary drinks available. There will be a folder from the concierge waiting for you in your stateroom with all of the details.

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

PS---The Solarium Pool is a treat!.....my favorite place to be on the ship!

...mid-50's , have done 1600 on the Serenade twice...Alaska and the Panama Canal transit, and are booked for 1600 on the Jewel repo this Halloween. Our FAVORITE cabin!! Have done the opposite West Coast repo on the Vision, and you will be on the seaward side of the stern, but will still have lovely views of everything, and a great balcony and solitude!!! The walk isn't bad at all...helps make all that food even more worthwhile!!! ENJOY...

You guys/gals have been a great help. I have been debating whether or not to move to the side of the ship for a while now. After the comments made, I think we will be staying with the suite we have. I love this site! Anything we have ever wanted to know about cruising is on here. My wife and I are fairly young (27+28) so the help that is given on this site is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Archived