cruise between chemo and radiation

afdds

Taking a much need quick break between chemo and radiation in Sept.

Ya, I know its hurricane season, but I don’t have much fudge factor in the dates. Anyway, can’t decide between the Carnival Fantasy and RCL Sovereign of the Seas. My whole cruise is based on just relaxing on their private island. I’ve never had a bad cruise; I’d like to know the difference in the two, and why you would pick one over the other.

Can't speak to Carnival. Sovereign was my first cruise and made me fall in love with cruising. CocoCay is great, a wonderful place to relax in.

No matter which one you choose, I hope you have a great time. May I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

I would go to the reviews and read the "good, bad and ugly" on both.

I am not familiar with RCCL. My only concern with Carnival is the fact that the Fantasy only does short cruises which (on Carnival) tend to draw a more "party crowd". These cruises are more affordable for the college (drink and puke" crowd.

With it being in September, this is probably not going to be a problem. And RCCL may have the same problems on their shorter cruises. I just don't know. Just be aware. Love Carnival, but that kind of crowd probably isn't what you want right now.

May you be blessed with a total healing and tremendous strength as you do.

First, may I say GOOD FOR YOU! Get out there and enjoy your life. :)

I'm not familiar with the Fantasy, in fact I've only sailed Carnival once (Victory). But I'm also a big Sovereign fan. As you probably know, she was recently refurbished and she's a beautiful ship. I also agree that Coco Cay is a wonderful place to relax. Most of the crowds congregate on the closest beach to the tender, but if you keep walking you can have as much space and privacy as you'd like.

Best wishes!

I have sailed on both ships, and while both are fun to be on, I agree that Sovereign would probably be better for this trip. A little quieter, easier to find a place and just chill, and a great way to sooth the soul. Carnival is fun, fast, and very active. Of course, the best part of a cruise is you can do it all or do nothing at all! I say go with RCCL now, and then go on Carnival to celebrate the completion of your treatments!

September is a great time to cruise...most of my cruises have been in September. You will have a super great time. Let us know how it went after you get back....I think we would all want to know. Keep positive...and have fun!

Happy crusing :p

Thanks everyone for the information and support! Still have both cruises on the table. Now, I just have to figure out if my wig will stay in place on the top decks! ;) I guess I could go bald with some great earrings! :)

Weather wise, I wonder how close to your date you can book? I live in Florida and would drive to the port.

Sorry I can't help you with choosing the ship, but I just want to say best wishes to you as you finish your treatments. I went through chemo and rads and finished up in March. What got me through it all was the days and hours I spent planning my cruise. We are going in October. May God bless you!

It doesn't look like I can PM on this board, so I'm going to bump this with my reply :p

First off, good for you! My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon/end of radiation celebration 2 weeks ago.

I'll post up some of her experiences with & without the "jennifer", her wig :)

Yes it stayed on, it moved around a bit. ha. You can buy a wig liner that has mesh so you can bobby pin the wig down.

Jill also picked up an under armour beanie to wear beneath her bandanas. It gave her a bit more security when snorkeling in case the bandana decided to come off.

She was very concious of it for the first few days, then she got over it and just enjoyed herself wearing her bandana everywhere, which she never does!

One last thing, make sure to bring a jacket or scraf to wrap yourself in. Jill was cold all the time onboard the ship. No hair to keep the heat in :p:D:p

3 months after brain surgery and 2 after radiation, we were sitting on a balcony having a fruity drink, thank god for modern medicine!!!!!

Finally - ENJOY YOURSELF, lord knows your EARNED IT !!!!!

Congratulations to the Newly Weds! Wishing you love, luck and happiness today, tomorrow and forever! Thank you so much for bumping this up and writing about your “Jennifer” experience on board. I’m so worried that the darn thing will fly off when I’m outside cruising along. I’ll go back to the wig shop and see if they have the wig liner with mess instead of the solid fabric one that I have. Great idea! I’m beginning to think that it will be so hot in September that I won’t wear the wig much in the day time.

I would have forgotten about my head making my whole body cooler in the air conditioner. Packing that extra wrap right now! Not sure what an under armour beanie is but I’ll Google it and see what pops up.

We won’t have a balcony this time, just a last minute idea to get away. However, I’m sure that I will also be sitting on a balcony sailing somewhere in the near future thanks to modern medicine. Next time hopefully with a little hair. ;)

Take care and God Bless.:)

Archived