What is going on with all of the negative reviews from Crown?

heywhatsup

I am set to sail the crown and I am becoming nervous because I keep reading so many negative comments about people's experiences (specifically from the 7/2 sailing). Is this maybe because of the cancellation of Grand Turk? How about the sailors from previous sailings? Have you encounted many of the problems the folks from 7/2 have experienced such as the bad service, average food, and non functioning air conditioning? Please, someone, ease my mind. Thanks!

This happens a lot of time with a new ship, they need to get things ironed out. One reason we will not book a new ship until it has been sailing for at least 6 months. Still new by ships standards, but it gives the cruise line and crew time to fix all those things that didn't work properly.

Never had a problem if we just don't get nervous and book a cruise right after a new ship first begins sailing.

Whoa - don't worry. I think you have a lot of things working here. First off, people often have a tendency to post about negative items more than positives, it gives them a chance to vent.

Secondly, it's a brand new ship and anyone sailing the early dates should expect growing pains. It'll work out after a few sailings.

Thirdly, set your expectations appropriately. It's a mass market line. It's a very NICE mass market line, but don't expect Regent or another luxury line experience.

Fourth, if you are a glass half full person you'll have a great cruise even if you experience a few glitches. If you are a glass half empty person a few minor issues could spoil your cruise.

Lastly, don't ever pick a cruise based upon a specific port. We've missed ports on nearly every cruise we've been on for a variety of reasons. If a specific destination is critical to your enjoyment, fly there and stay at a hotel.

You'll have a wonderful time - please don't let all the negativity worry you.

I also am concerned with all the negative reviews.I am sailing one week from today. I mean, between, bad food, bad service,No air conditioning!!, rattling overhead beds, pools and buffets not open at times they are supposed to be, the ship swaying too much, the sound of churning water (still giggling at that one!) And, last but not least.....Killer Wastebaskets!! Someone please tell me it isn't all true! Anyway, we will make the most of it either way, booked 14 months ago and cannot wait!

PS....Is the cookie oven REALLY broken???

I think that we on Cruise Critic suffer from WTMI Syndrome, and therefore expect everything to be absolutely perfect and just like the other ships we've sailed on. We sailed on the Star when she was brand new, but we were also brand new to Princess, so we found nothing to complain about except that they made us leave at the end - we couldn't even get late checkout!:D

Go with a positive attitude and you will have a lovely cruise. Some people complain about everything. I have been on "Innaugral Cruises" and the ships have glitches that still have to be worked out, only because it is a "New Ship". In time, everything comes together. However, these glitches, never interfered with us having a "Great Cruise". We have sailed on over 50 cruises so far and will be sailing the "Crown" in Sept. Can't wait! This is a beautiful Ship! So go and enjoy!!!!!

The less than pleased comments about the Crown may be a positive thing if Princess reads these boards and acts on them. Some things they could try to get right for subsquent cruises, is the comments on A/C in rooms not working. Some comments on changing rooms to accommadate crowds for certain shows and events. The comments on not being able to tell in one of the cafes what you have to pay for and what is free is a valid complaint. Perhaps there should be signs or a price for the stuff that is a fee. Hopefully each week they adjust and iron out some of the negs. I feel if you are in customer service, every complaint is valid. Its the silent people who don't complain, then never set foot on Princess again that should most worry a company that is in a buisness like travel and leisure.

We had a great time on the Crown 7/02. We enjoyed wonderful service from smiling, outgoing, friendly crew members who wanted to please. This was our eleventh cruise which why we have learned to go with the flow. We were delighted the food, service and repartee in the speciality restaurants. We choose anytime dining and found a waitstaff we liked. We made advanced reservations at their tables. We were well looked after and our requests were fulfilled.:) We loved the sea days. This cruise allowed us to be in a place where there were no pages(24/7), no computer demands, no silly meetings, no hidden agendas. Just pure relaxation. Go and enjoy the experience of your Crown cruise.

Don

we were on th e cruise.

i have posted a short review on one of these threads

was it the greatest cruise ever? no

was it the worst cruise ever ? no

with any new ship wrinkles have to be ironed out

i have read my fellow trvellers reviews

imho sometimes people have way to high expectations

for their vacation..... these folks will probably be dissapointed no matter what

we went with the flow found our own fun, and had a good time...

what bothers me is people jumping all over some posters, just because they dont like what the poster is telling them. that is what the poster experienced.......

i have agreed with many of the negatives i have read re: this cruise

also many of my fellow pax have pointed out positives that i would agree with

people should learn to respect everyones opinion.

if you cant do that , then how will you be able to sail on the Crown with 3150 other people?

We were on the first sailing on 6/14 and we were prepared for kinks since it was the first siling, but there were no real mechanical problems (such as the air conditioning problem on 7/2). Our disappointment (and maybe that is too strong a word) was more service/food based, but when I did realize that Princess is more of a mass market line, it gets put in perspective. It wasn't the best cruise and may not go back on Princess, but the ship is THE most beautiful I've ever been on and I'm certainly not sorry we went. So go, enjoy the trip and the experience and see what YOU think!

people should learn to respect everyones opinion.

if you cant do that , then how will you be able to sail on the Crown with 3150 other people?

You make some good points, but with respect to opinions, I think people should be a little careful to report upon what they know, and not what they suspect. I'm referring to the numerous charges that the fuel issue was totally the fault of Princess. I agree that it is their responsibility, but you cannot charge that someone within Princess was incompetent and use that as a basis to be hyper-critical of everything else. There simply is no proof, although I will admit that the possibility exists.

Some of the opinions have been formed using speculation in lieu of facts. On CC, that's part of the territory, but in real life, and particularly if it were you in the line of fire, I doubt you could accept the comments as valid opinion. Discussing and refuting such comments is not disrespectful or unsympathetic.

Other sources of complaint, such as no towel animals or the lack of midnight buffets two name two examples, are based on a lack of knowledge of the product Princess provides. These aren't features of Princess cruises. I can understand people might miss them if they were something enjoyed on other ships, but as a source of complaint, it's pretty hard to agree with a complaint that is based upon incorrect assumptions. Again, discussing such comments and trying to correct the inaccuracy should not be seen as flaming, just as follow-up information for others that might be following the discussion.

Some of the complaints are valid, and they will be addressed, or should be if a better solution exists.

The idea that all opinions are valid is as fallacious as saying that the customer is always right, or that perception is reality. These are merely statements that justify transmogrifying disappointment into righteous indignation.

I agree with those who have suggested that expectations can make or break a cruise experience for many people.

I couldn't help but wonder, also, if the demographics onboard the early Crown cruises may play a major role in the positive/negative reviews. I started a thread to this effect and will look forward to hearing from recent Crown passengers.

The fuel debacle was most unfortunate, to be sure, but those of us who are experienced cruisers with reasonable expectations realize that "ship" happens, and we learn to "roll" with the "waves" ;) .

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Re: July 2, 2006 trip

My cruise on the Crown Princess was not the best cruise I have ever had. This is my third with Princess out of 7 cruises, including other lines. I am posting facts, not because I like to complain, but because I am disappointed with Princess. Take this as you will. It is meant as information only.

Yes, missing Grand Turk was a disappointment, the captain announced the news at 1:30 AM really loud in everyone's cabin. I understand the itinerary can be changed by Princess for good reasons. This was poor planning, not caused by mother nature. I was rudely awoken at 1:30 am. The lack of air conditioning in certain public areas, in the elevators and the Horizon needs to be corrected. The Caribe Cafe had air conditioning . The drinking water in the Horizon was warm, they placed a large container of ice cubes next to the drinking machine in the Horizon. We got stuck in the elevator. My cabin toilet did not flush for about 2 hours....right after breakfast...and had to go to a public area and find another toilet. We were never informed that there was some repair being done below our cabin.

The food quality has declined. However, both Sabatini and Crown and Grill were excellent (it costs extra). My first formal night photos were ruined by the photographer (another first for us). There were lots of photos (not just ours ) out of focus, they told me it was a lens. I know digital photography and this can occur by moving the camera or setting it wrong.

The fact that we spent 4 consecutive days at sea became boring and I enjoy sea days, but it was just too many.

Yes, the ship is beautiful, my cabin attendant was excellent (Thank Goodness!).

The Princess Theater was not large enough. We were standing whenever there was only one show scheduled or for a popular show. No, we were not late.

We hope that Princess does not continue penny-pinching for this and for that. I prefer to pay more for a cruise than have to pay for even a regular cup of coffee. Yes, it was free in the Horizon, but not free in the International Cafe. It cost a buck. No, it was not a specialty coffee.

Will I sail with Princess again? Not sure. I think I will go back to Royal Caribbean for a while unless Princess gets their act together.

Oh, by the way. I do have a life!

I am set to sail the crown and I am becoming nervous because I keep reading so many negative comments about people's experiences (specifically from the 7/2 sailing). Is this maybe because of the cancellation of Grand Turk? How about the sailors from previous sailings? Have you encounted many of the problems the folks from 7/2 have experienced such as the bad service, average food, and non functioning air conditioning? Please, someone, ease my mind. Thanks!

We sailed on the Crown on her first sailing 6/14 and it was a fantabulous cruise, we ate all our meals in the Cafe and the Court and the food was excellent, the crew was wonderful, the weather great, our fellow passengers extremely nice and the entertainment on the ship was fabulous, one of our best cruises in quite some time and we cruise 6 times a year.........just go and enjoy!! She is a beautiful ship!!

I also was on the 6/14 cruise and I loved it. The ship is beatuiful. I walked out of the main seating dinning room 7 out of 9 night and thought my food was fantantic. and the two other night I just didn't care for the food I order and the waiter was trying to get me something else. but it wasn't a big deal.

I saw alot of the shows and thought that they were good.

Go have a great time and don't let the little things get in you way of a great cruise.

My daughter had her camera stollen from her when was playing the price is right game. I could of said it was a bad cruise but things happen and you have to go on.

You make some good points, but with respect to opinions, I think people should be a little careful to report upon what they know, and not what they suspect. I'm referring to the numerous charges that the fuel issue was totally the fault of Princess. I agree that it is their responsibility, but you cannot charge that someone within Princess was incompetent and use that as a basis to be hyper-critical of everything else. There simply is no proof, although I will admit that the possibility exists.

Some of the opinions have been formed using speculation in lieu of facts. On CC, that's part of the territory, but in real life, and particularly if it were you in the line of fire, I doubt you could accept the comments as valid opinion. Discussing and refuting such comments is not disrespectful or unsympathetic.

Other sources of complaint, such as no towel animals or the lack of midnight buffets two name two examples, are based on a lack of knowledge of the product Princess provides. These aren't features of Princess cruises. I can understand people might miss them if they were something enjoyed on other ships, but as a source of complaint, it's pretty hard to agree with a complaint that is based upon incorrect assumptions. Again, discussing such comments and trying to correct the inaccuracy should not be seen as flaming, just as follow-up information for others that might be following the discussion.

Some of the complaints are valid, and they will be addressed, or should be if a better solution exists.

The idea that all opinions are valid is as fallacious as saying that the customer is always right, or that perception is reality. These are merely statements that justify transmogrifying disappointment into righteous indignation.

Sponge,

You had me at HELLO!!:D

Bill

Nice job!

Sorry, Chris, but with all due respect, demographics have absolutely nothing to do with no cabin air conditioning and non-flushable toilets on a brand new ship. IMHO, no matter what coast or country the pax are from, these 2 issues are totally unacceptable.

We're on the Crown in September, trusting the ac and toilets will be non-issues.

Karen

Baltimore

I couldn't help but wonder, also, if the demographics onboard the early Crown cruises may play a major role in the positive/negative reviews. Bon Voyage! Chris

This happens a lot of time with a new ship, they need to get things ironed out. One reason we will not book a new ship until it has been sailing for at least 6 months. Still new by ships standards, but it gives the cruise line and crew time to fix all those things that didn't work properly.

Every new ship on every cruise line has some kinks that need to be worked out. Toto gave great advice-don't book a new ship for the first few months.

Can't speak for the Crown, but we were on the Diamond's 2nd or 3rd trip to Mexico and the ship had lots of problems. Mainly the sewer smell. Things not working weren't as bad as the poorly designed dining arrangements. But did these stop us from having fun or from booking future Princess cruises? No Way! My Aunt and Uncle have sailed everywhere on every line and some of their stories would curl your hair. Enjoy your cruise and remember to keep the sunny side up.

Sorry, Chris, but with all due respect, demographics have absolutely nothing to do with no cabin air conditioning and non-flushable toilets on a brand new ship. IMHO, no matter what coast or country the pax are from, these 2 issues are totally unacceptable. Karen

Baltimore

I had not read about the air conditioning/toilet issues on other threads - saw it here first. Yes, these are serious issues, and I'm sure that Princess will address them promptly. DH and I would not have been happy campers under similar circumstances.

My thread regarding demographics is based on generalizations. First-time cruisers are often not "in the know" about the total experience of shipboard travel. Similarly, those who haven't sailed with Princess may have expectations of the line that are unreasonable. My husband and I had such expectations when our AAA Travel Agent recommended a Celebrity cruise for us. We were sorely disappointed and would never sail the line again! The deep Caribbean cruise was a huge disappointment, and that experience convinced us that Celebrity is greatly overrated in the mass-market cruise industry.

I doubt that DH and I will ever sail on the Crown because we cruise in January and prefer to sail from FLL (the Crown will do 7-night voyages out of San Juan). We will be looking at early sailings of the Emerald Princess because 10-night deep Caribbean sailings will be exactly what we're looking for. The Emerald will supposedly be a "clone" of the Crown, so we hope Princess gets its act together before the newest "gem" sets sail.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

[a note to spongerob

My comment was that we all need to respect other peoples opinions on these threads btw i dont believe that you used the word transmogrify correctly in your sentence

We on the Zuiderdam about a year ago and our toilet in our cabin worked only about 50% of time. We also had plenty of sewer smells in public areas. And this was not from a new ship. Cruise ships are very complex machines and machines don't always work 100% of the time. You go with flow (no pun intended) and you have a great time.

Harvey

[quote name=mikenike

My comment was that we all need to respect other peoples opinions on these threads btw i dont believe that you used the word transmogrify correctly in your sentence

I respect the person, not the opinion that has been skewed to put a spin on a review, or opinions based on incorrect data. I'm not even sure transmogrify is really a word, but it added a nice lilt, don't you think? :)

I know some people want to vent. When the venting, cross-posting between roll-call members, and inaccuracies reach the point that it causes others to consider cancelling, it's time to step in with some reasoned thought. No business has a perfect day every day. That doesn't mean the entire organization is inept or trying to jerk people around. Tomorrow is a new day. Let's hope it's a better day since we can't change what has passed.

Archived