Guarantee cabins?

Generally you will find out your cabin assignment approximately 30 days prior to sailing. If the ship is especially full you may not find out until you board, but that is the great exception.

When you say "30 days before sailing" do you mean that you are specially contacted or do you mean that you are told only when the tickets and other paperwork arrive?

I recently went to Alaska on Mariner and was given my cabin number on making my initial booking enquiry directly with Regent. I have now booked on Voyager for October in the Med through a Travel Agent and have not yet been given a cabin number. Apparently it is "guaranteed" and thus has the possibility of an up-grade. Is this likely, I wonder.

• 3 weeks later...

We recently had guarantee Cat H on the Voyager. The cabin number was not on the tickets when they arrived via DHL about 25 days before sailing. The TA said she'd keep checking. The cabin number appeared on the website about one week after we received the tickets. The TA was one day later than the website in providing the info. We were upgraded from H to C. Somewhere, another poster told how they didn't know the gty cabin until they got to the ship.

You can find out as soon as, if not sooner, than your TA by just checking under "my booked cruises" on rssc.com. I have had a number of guarantees and have always found out no later than when tickets were issued.

Marc

On our four RSSC cruises, we've been assigned cabins at the time of booking, talking either directly with RSSC or having a travel agent do so. Could someone explain to me how this whole "guarantee cabin" thing works? Thanks!

-- Eric

I've done guarantee and didn't get my cabin assignment until I arrived at the pier. And this was not on a heavily booked cruise. I don't know what drives their timing, but don't be concerned about not getting a cabin assignment. It means that no cabins have opened in your guarantee category and you're more likely to get an upgrade. They'll have a list at the pier and luggage tags ready for your bags. It'll go smoothly even if you don't get your assignment in advance.

On our four RSSC cruises, we've been assigned cabins at the time of booking, talking either directly with RSSC or having a travel agent do so. Could someone explain to me how this whole "guarantee cabin" thing works? Thanks!

-- Eric

Earlier this year I booked an Alaskan cruise on Mariner directly with Regent and was given a cabin number on booking. This was acceptable to me. Recently I booked a Western Med cruise on Voyager with a Travel Agent and was offered a "guaranteed F grade". I asked the very question you asked above and was told that it benefitted Regent to take bookings but not allocate cabins until the final stages depending on how bookings for various cabin grades were coming in. So they would guarantee a minimum grade and on final allocation would give higher grades (up-grade) if there hadn't been take up of those "better" cabins. So it depends on how the ship is filling up which cabin will be assigned, but it will never be less that the guarantee.

Hope this makes sense

It makes perfect sense - thank you! It's only me impatient to find out if we've got an upgrade :D I'll just have to try and wait patiently!!!

I feel exactly the same. I check on the RSSC website everyday.

We embark in Rome as you disembark....perhaps we will get your vacated (and up-graded) suite!

Enjoy your cruise.

I feel exactly the same. I check on the RSSC website everyday.

We embark in Rome as you disembark....perhaps we will get your vacated (and up-graded) suite!

Enjoy your cruise.

I'll make sure to leave it tidy then - just in case!

Enjoy yours as well.

This is how it works.

Regent first sell cabin assignments - actual cabin numbers whether you book through Regent or a TA. When they run out of a particular cabin in a certain category they normally offer a set number of "guarantee cabins" in that category. The number of cabins offered in a particular category depend on what is programmed into the computer. Often it is only 2 - 4 cabins. Once those cabins are sold then that category shuts down, no more cabins to assign and no more guarantees. If people cancel then the cancelled cabins come back into the inventory so once again they will sell that cabin number or if it is a guarantee that cancels then they sell another guarantee.

If they want to sell a sailing that is not filling up they often offer guarantees again so that a lower price is available to sell to entice more passengers to this particular sailing.

How they assign those guarantee cabins differs tremendously. At one time they would assign a guarantee immediately if a cabin in that category opened up. Other times they seem to assign them at any stage during the pre cruise period, and on rare occassions even after tickets come out. It all depends on the inventory control and how they handle things there is no set pattern.

It is true you may see it on your page on the web site faster than your TA knows.

Usually you see guarantee cabins in the lowest category available or in a highly desirable category like a C cabin on the Mariner. They sell out and then they offer a C guarantee.

Some people love guarantee cabins some people do not. It is like rolling dice in Vegas. If a ship is really full you often end up with the worst cabin on the ship because that is what is left. Other times you can get a really nice upgrade. The one benefit it usually gives you is a lower price than you would have to pay if you insisted on an assigned cabin at the time of booking because you would have to go up a category to get a cabin number.

Hope that helps explain it all.

• 1 month later...

We sail Oct. 28 from Nice on Navigator and have no cabin assignment to date. We have guarantee Cat. F. This is our first Regent cruise; we've never not known our cabin number this close to sailing before. This thread has helped me understand how RSSC manages cabin assignments, but I'm still concerned about it. An upgrade would be nice, but I'm more interested in location -- what we want (and usually book) is mid-ship, mid-level, port-side. If the assigned cabin is poorly located, it would be nice to have time to re-negotiate than be surprised! Oh well, I guess that much specificity won't work under Regent's guarantee program?

Luke'sMom.

You sail on 28 Oct. We sail on Voyager on 7 October, two weeks on Saturday, and we don't yet know our suite number. Only that it is "F" guarantee! So you may have some time to wait yet. I am not too bothered but if you are perhaps you should press your TA or Regent direct.

We sail Nov 4th on the Voyager, F guarantee. Had our assignment a couple of months ago. Category D deck 10 aft. We don't mind the vibration so it's OK. The only thing to be concerned about guaranteed suites is if you want a lower deck or mid-ship suite. We've always been upgraded but never to a prime mid-ship room.

By the way, even if a cabin number shows up on your rguarantee reservation, that doesn't mean it will be your final cabin. Last time I did a guarantee, the cabin number changed just before the tickets were issued.

Wow! Just a little over a month before leaving for my next crossing. I can feel the ocean waves now!

Archived