What was YOUR best family excursion?

crusinmama06

I want to hear about the best FAMILY excursion that you have ever taken while on a cruise.

So tell us the following:

Ship/Cruiseline you were on -

Where was the excursion -

Details of the excursion -

What did you like best about it -

What did you like least about it -

Age of children that you think would enjoy this excursion -

Hi, Mama ~ We took our kids (ages 2 and 7 at the time) on NCL's Dawn last year which stopped in Port Canaveral, Miami, Nassau, and Great Stirrup Cay. The best excursion of that trip was the airboat ride in Miami. Both of the kids were absolutely thrilled. They loved it more than Disney (way too big a place to do in one day as we tried :( ). BUT, next year we're going back on the Dawn. Mainly because we loved the ship so much. But, also because it goes to Bermuda. DH and I went on a cruise to Bermuda in 2001 (right after 9/11) and, in fact, that's where we got engaged. We said that Bermuda was a place that kids would love. So, we went to the caverns and the zoo there. Both places are absolutely awesome for kids. The caverns entailed a great bit of walking and stairs so really young ones may find it too much work. But, the zoo is absolutely fabulous. They have animals there that we'd never even heard of! Have you ever seen a bear-cat? It looks like it's literally a cross between a bear and a cat. It was amazing! Anyway, that's my vote. Happy Cruising!! :)

I want to go to Bermuda, so thanks for the info! I was wondering about the zoo. Very cool! :)

Here are my answers (so far, might change after our next cruise):

Ship/Cruiseline you were on - Disney Magic

Where was the excursion - Coral World in St. Thomas

Details of the excursion - A nice little place for the younger kids where they can touch all kinds of sea creatures (like starfish) and go into an underwater observatory

What did you like best about it - That the kids could actually touch the sea stuff

What did you like least about it - Nothing, the kids really liked it

Age of children that you think would enjoy this excursion - I would say the younger crowd, 8 and under

Our family of 11 took a sailing/snorkel excursion with the Silver Moon in Barbados. This was the most expensive excursion I have taken in the Caribbean or Central America, but well worth every penny. We had the most relaxing day ever. We sailed the coast making 2 snorkel stops. There were other cats out sailing around us with 40 -50 people on them. Our cat had 18 people and the boat was not crowded whatsoever.

We were supposed to swim with the turtles, but the ocean was too rough (winter time). The captain was upfront about this and told us first thing when we boarded.

The crew treated us like royalty never letting our glasses of refreshment go empty. The lunch buffet was spectacular as well.

Our entire family loved this trip so much we are repeating it again this.

Grand Cayman - Stingray excursion with Nativeway (private company - highly recommended). Without a doubt, the most fun and most unusual thing we've done. Can't think of anything we didn't like about it except that I could have stayed out there all day. My kids were 15 and 18 at the time.

Grand Cayman - Stingray excursion with Nativeway (private company - highly recommended). Without a doubt, the most fun and most unusual thing we've done. Can't think of anything we didn't like about it except that I could have stayed out there all day. My kids were 15 and 18 at the time.
He he he :p Nativeway was our SECOND favorite excursion ever. Dd loved Rum Point more than the Rays! Our captain had conch which he freshly caught for his dinner that night and dd was able to take home two conch shells as souvenirs.

3 cheers to Celebrity! Our cabin steward and butler got us a 5 gal. bucket with bleach so she could soak the shells out on the balcony for a couple of days and not stink up the entire ship :eek:

Our family of 11 took a sailing/snorkel excursion with the Silver Moon

Oh my gosh, we did that in Barbados and had such a fabulous time. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The only other excursion that immediately came to mind as my favorite ever was the daysail on the Winifred in St. Thomas.

http://www.sailwinifred.com/

It was a private excursion for just us and not cheap (I think it ended up being $500 for the day for 4 adult and my 20-month-old). We booked it online with Sharon, the captain of the boat.

We took a taxi from the ship to a particular dock to meet the sailboat. We sailed from St. Thomas to a cove in St. John and had the best time snorkeling. We also had a delicious lunch. The water was so beautiful and calm and we saw so much oceanlife while snorkeling. At one point I was snorkeling while holding my young son (I was holding him upright and he was in his safety vest) - was being fussy and none of us wanted to stay on the boat with him cause the water was so awesome, and he actually fell asleep while I was snorkeling with him in my arms. I so wish I had a picture. The crew had actually offered to watch him while I snorkeled but he was being really clingy. They really were so sweet to my son the whole time, too.

I can't even think of what I liked least about the excursion. Maybe just the cost. It's been almost 2 years so many anything negative has completely faded by now? Anyway, I think any child of any age would enjoy this excursion, particularly if the child enjoys the water. Something about sailing is just so relaxing for me and kids seem to just love being outside in general.

I highly recommend it!!!

Shellie

So the stingray excursion....would a 3 year old enjoy it, or do you think she is too young?

I think my 7 year old will get kinda freaked out about them swimming around her but she will get used to it. My 3 year old might want to ride one though. :eek:

So the stingray excursion....would a 3 year old enjoy it, or do you think she is too young?

I think my 7 year old will get kinda freaked out about them swimming around her but she will get used to it. My 3 year old might want to ride one though. :eek:

My 3-yr-old son like it, didn't LOVE it, but liked it alot and still talks about seeing "Mr. Ray" (like from Finding Nemo:p). The water was a bit rough at the stingray city, and he didn't want to touch the rays, but he totally got a kick out watching Daddy and Mommy touch the rays. We didn't have time to do the entire day Native Way excursion, just the rays and reef, and it was good, but a bit rushed with a little one. It sounds like the full-day excursion is much more fun.

My 3-yr-old son like it, didn't LOVE it, but liked it alot and still talks about seeing "Mr. Ray" (like from Finding Nemo:p). The water was a bit rough at the stingray city, and he didn't want to touch the rays, but he totally got a kick out watching Daddy and Mommy touch the rays. We didn't have time to do the entire day Native Way excursion, just the rays and reef, and it was good, but a bit rushed with a little one. It sounds like the full-day excursion is much more fun.

Thanks Shellie! So if mommy doesn't want to touch the rays? :D

Yes, I'm chicken!

crusinmama06 - touch the rays! It is awesome (the real meaning of the word, not the cliche'). The best part is that the rays really seem to like the attention.

my answers - 2 excursions come to mind:

Ship/Cruiseline you were on -
Radiance of the Sea (RCCI)

Where was the excursion -
Juneua, AK

Details of the excursion -
Helo ride up to the glaiciers, dog sled on the glaicer.

What did you like best about it
- Unbelievable experience! The sights and narration on the helo trip were spectacular. Walking on a glaicer! Everyone had a chance to drive the sleds (then 8YO DD got two chances). Meet the dogs. DD got to sit up front in the helo and "co-pilot"

What did you like least about it
- DH got a little woozie on the Helo trip back, but nothing major - he was fine when we got back on land

Age of children that you think would enjoy this excursion
- 6 and up - old enough to not get freaked out by the helo trip and old enough to appreciate the sled trip.

Ship/Cruiseline you were on
- Pride of America (NCLA)

Where was the excursion
- Maui, HI

Details of the excursion
- Pacific Whale Foundation snorkel. When to Monkini Bay and Turtle Arches. Both very nice locations - at least 50 turtles at the arches. DD (then 10) had never snorkeled and the crew was great at getting her going and making certain she saw stuff. Great educational narration, saw two pods of whales, nice buffet. Great crew and facilities.

What did you like best about it
- Helpfulness of crew

What did you like least about it
- DD got a little motion sick on way out. Crew was great at getting her to the best place to sit, getting her some candied ginger and ginger ale, and keeping her 'entertained" helping getting some stuff ready.

Age of children that you think would enjoy this excursion
- 7 or 8 and up. Younger for the more adventurous youth.

We too love the local zoos - Honolulu, the Vancouver Aquarium, the Maui Aquarium, the San Diego zoo, etc.

In Ketchikan there is a great municipally run totem museum (not commerialized and tacky as some of the others are). National Parks are always a great bet - Volcano NP on the big island, NPs in the VI, the NP near Sitka AK. DD really liked the historical fort in Halifax NS as well.

The rays move around you like cats and feel like velvet. It was an amazing experience to have one swim up onto my arms, which I had stretched out in front of me. They are very tame. The guides have named several of them, and the rays seem to gravitate toward some of the guides.

If you do not feed the rays, I don't believe they will want to come near you. They WILL go towards the people who have the food in their hands. Just listen to the advice of your guide and you will be fine.

To give you an idea of the depth of the water...man on far left with bald patch is about 5 ft. 10 in., man in front of him, closer to 6 ft. Man in the middle with PINK snorkel was only about 5 ft 4 in. The black patches you see in the water towards the right of the picture are rays.

strcb.jpg

We also took the Nativeway excursion:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/510615571/1510649289061183369aWkDAf

Seven years good luck if you kiss 'em! My son was 10 1/2 at the time. My 2-yr. old stayed on the boat.

We also liked this excursion through Coastal Helicopters from a couple weeks ago:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/552048765/2552608590061183369ZAFRun

http://community.webshots.com/photo/552048765/2421772810061183369AJYVKn

Archived