Swimming Pools on Alaska Cruise

conncr

I know this sounds silly, but are the pools open and available on the 7-day Inside Passage cruises? From what I can tell, all the pools are outside. Are there indoor/heated pools on the NCL ships?

Craig

We were on the Spirit in September 2003 and the outdoor pool was available, but I don't beleive it was heated :eek:. There were some brave kids & adults who did try them. I can report the hot tubs were open and fantastic :D after a long day in port. The only indoor pool on the Spirit was in the exercise center. They had an endless indoor individual lap pool in which you swam against the current.

We just returned from the Star - Alaska. Pools are NOT heated. They were colder than an ice cube bath. The slides were only open 1 day. The only indoor pool that they have, you have to pay $60 per per per week to use.

There are many hot tubs and they are always full. The only day we used the pool was the day we left Seattle and during the sail away from Ketchikan.

Hi,

Aren't you lucky I'm a person who knows dopey details from the TV and that I have a good memory. The pools on the Sun were generally 78 degrees while the hot tubs were 96.8. I do have to say that I thought I noted VERY few brave people in the pools. When at port, I heard they were often closed and days at seas were COLD! On our last day at sea, the upper decks were closed, so no pool. Keep in mind that we had FANTASTIC weather on our cruise- 7/1/06 so I pity the people who lousy weather. You have your pick of any deck chair you see. I didn't bring my swim suit and am glad I did not.

Donna

I've been seeing a number of posts that talk about a $60/week charge to use the indoor pool on the Star. I just called NCL and was told "Not to worry. The pool is open and it's free." I did verify that she was referring to the indoor pool. Guess I'll find out if the information NCL gave me what correct when I sail on August 6th!

Thank you for the information...

I am planning a group to Alaska with at least 6 kids 6 years and under. I am looking to activities for them, and thought a pool for the olders ones would be nice. But I also know how cold the weather can be there.

The pool in the spa area is not big on the Star. I would look for other activities for the children, like the kids area, having them look for wild life and sea mammals, and take some childrens activity books about Alaska. :)

I've been seeing a number of posts that talk about a $60/week charge to use the indoor pool on the Star. I just called NCL and was told "Not to worry. The pool is open and it's free." I did verify that she was referring to the indoor pool. Guess I'll find out if the information NCL gave me what correct when I sail on August 6th!

On the Star to the Mexican Riveria the spa pool is free for 18 years and older.

Hi,

I would say that swimming is not much fun in Alaska the majority of the time. The pools were heated in July and few people were anywhere near them and some days they were not available. Keep in mind, our weather in Alaska was great, so cold weather wasn't the issue.

I would look into the kid's club activities. Alaska is the least appropriate destination for young children. The majority don't seem to like "nature" all that much. Be realistic and don't be too disappointed as I heard lots of "I'm bored" from the kids on board.

Connie

Archived