What caused you to visit cc for the first time?

bjkeen

My Family and I had booked an Alaska land cruise tour and we were watching a special on the travel channel about Alaska and they mentioned the site so i checked it out and now i feel so much more informed !!!!

I was doing cruise reseach...what I refer to as my 'homework'.

I had sailed only twice...both times with Carnival and wanted to get reviews on all cruise ships/lines, because I was under the impression that other lines might be better. I did a Google search for 'cruise ship reviews' and CC came up. I have been here ever since!!

All that research lead me right back to Carnival anyway!! :D

I love it here!!

My DD went on a cruise for her honeymoon last year, and found CC. She had such a good time on her cruise, that she bought my DH and I a cruise for our anniversary this spring and urged me to check out CC to get ideas for cruising. It really is addictive!

Irene

My DH and I were on our 1st anniversary cruise and were on a snorkling excursion. We saw a person with a patch I thought was from Houston Police Dept. My DH recognized it as Houston Fire Dept. Come to find out, this guy was from HFD and we knew a lot of the same people. (My DH and I are both paramedics and work for a private ambulance service). He told us of an upcoming cruise and told us about this site so we could research everything we wanted to know about ships and excursions. I have been addicted ever since then--Thank you Sparky the fyrguy!

After taking 2 cruises with very little info, I did a search on Google for cruise reviews before taking our 3rd, this site popped up. I'm on it everyday, I love the folks here. Now ready to take our 4th cruise with lots of info and tips (some money saving ones). This is my source for cruising. DH wonders how I know so much. I have not told him my secret yet. He will be even more surprised when we actually cruise in Feb.

You may remember this, Becky.

Some time ago, late September 2002, I posted about a death on the ELATION on the Cruisemates Board. I had met the young lady that died on that cruise under very unusual circumstances. Most of the people that were with her late that night just before arriving at Puerto Vallarta were convinced she had been murdered. So like a complete dunce I posted MURDER ON THE ELATION on the Cruisemates board to open my post about her. Talk about opening a can of worms ! ! ! WHOOOOOOOOOOOAAAA :eek:

I was accused of being a "troll ", a sicko trying to destroy Carnival in particular and the cruising industry in general. I was certain someone that had been on that cruise would rescue me from the constant bombardment I took on a daily basis, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday the same thing. Even though every thing I posted was the truth, the FBI coming onboard and using the card room as their investigation post, the fact that this deceased lady had "purchased" the #5 horse for the race on Saturday (one poster stated that Carnival doesn't have any horses and if they did they wouldn't let anyone buy them :) ), the fact that some passengers weren't allowed to leave the ship in Puerto Vallarta, etc.,, etc., etc. I was described by all the "board psychologists" as a fat, balding old man, unshaven, with a "wife-beater" shirt, posting in my underwear. :D

I actually received e-mails from Anne Campbell, Cruisemates Director, applauding me for not going RUDE and DIRTY like the posters that were attacking me. Meanwhile, she was frantically trying to ascertain the truth of the incident from Carnival Public Relations.

WELL, thank God, some of the friends and co-workers of the young lady that died, heard about the firestorm on the boards and posted backing up every statement I made including the murder thing, but alas, the FBI ruled it as an "accidental death"! ! (How someone as short as she was can "fall" over a railing chin-high 2 decks to her death is beyond me, with her empty purse found on a different part of the Lido deck as well as her earrings on a different part). Doing the "King of the World" thing on the railing of the sports deck early in the morning is the only other thing that would explain this, however. :(

To make a long story short....One of the posters asked me why I didn't post this story on the CRUISE CRITICS BOARDS? And that's why I'm here. Up until then I had never heard of CC. I even mentioned this incident to the Cruise Director of the PRIDE this May (he was the CD on the ELATION when this incident happened) and he recalled it.

Aren't you glad you asked, Becky ? :D

8 out of 13 of my family members came down with the noro virus from a cruise (not carnival). I went on cruisemates to see if anyone else came home sick. WOW that was a mistake. They also treated me badly. So I looked around for other cruise boards and found cruise critic. The people were so nice. I have been on this site ever since.

I searched the threads "over there" and found the thread still there...If this link doesn't get it...just search for MURDER ON THE ELATION. Out of 146 posts, I think it has been "deleted" down to 83 ! ! Many of the posts stopped just short of threatening to murder me....LOL :D

http://cruisemates.com/MBindex/carnival.cfm

I'm sorry, I just tried it and it doesn't go directly to the thread. If you want to read the thread just use the search engine, which is very good "over there"....:D

My husband found this site during a severe case of Post Cruise Depression following our cruise on the Carnival Glory last August. Somehow, reading this site seemed to help. We found, however, that the best cure for PCD was to book another cruise.....which we seemed to accomplish within two weeks of being home!!! :)

Booked a cruise and wanted to find out more about my ship. Typed the name of the ship in Google and info in Cruise Critics came up. Checked it out and fell in love with the site. :D

My Girlfriend recommended I try this site. Been HOOKED EVER SINCE!

Absoutly love this site, not sure about the new boards, but I guess I will get use to it.

I have found this very helpful in finding out how to book shore excursions, the ship to book, what to do in port, etc.

FANTASTIC SITE!!

Miracle 12/04

Legend 2/03

Spirit 2/02

Destiny 2/00

Imagination 2/98

Festival 2/79

Found it as a message board on AOL.

Same here! In June 1997, we hooked our computer up to the internet for the first time. I was trying to figure out what to do with it ;) and my husband told me to go to the search and look for something that interested me. (I bet he's been sorry about that ever since!) :D Anyway, we had just been on the Celebration the week before, so I typed in "cruise", and found the AOL Cruise Critic message board, and I've been hooked ever since! Hard to believe it was seven years ago!

Archived