Star Romance Suite Question

tarps14

I am new to the NCL board. We have cruised many times (15+) and are considering our options for our January '07 anniversary cruise. We have a deposit on the Dawn Princess for the 11-day Mexican Riviera cruise. However, I just came across the NCL Star 9-day that really intrigues me. Very similar itinerary, the only difference being no Mazatlan but adding Acapulco. We have done the Mexican Riviera before but have never been to Acapulco or Ixtapa. We have a balcony guarantee (BA) on the Dawn but now I see that the romance suite on the Star is only $800 more total. I feel it is highly unlikely we would get an aft on Princess and I much prefer knowing exactly what cabin we will have. It is two days less of cruising but, dang, a butler and concierge! We have sailed in suites before (due to some very lucky upgrades) on RCCL, Carnival, Disney and Princess, but, have never had a butler. Our last two cruises have been aft cabins and we are in love with the huge balconies. I have placed a hold on cabin 10726 and now have to make the tough decision. Do I cancel Princess and go with the Star? It has been 20+ years since we sailed on NCL (the Norway-1985). I just have not done the research on NCL that I have on the other lines and I know how valuable this site can be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We have to make a decision by tomorrow on the Star hold. We spend a great deal of time in our cabin and on the balcony so this is a huge factor. I know some people simply don't use their cabin all that much but that is not us.

After re-reading my post, I think I answered my own question but I would still like any info or advice you could give. Thanks so much.

Well, we love everything about the Star. We were also booked on the Dawn Princess for 2/07, but we cancelled and are now booked on the Star. I believe all the Star's Mexican Riviera cruises are eight nights, though, so that may make a difference to you.

If you book the Star, you will love having the butler and concierge. They will make your cruise something very special. The last time we were on the Star, we got an upsell to the AB Suite, and we were spoiled rotten! This time we "just" have a balcony (but it's an aft balcony!).

One thing to consider is how you'll like Freestyle dining. Some people who are very satisfied with traditional dining don't like it. Personally, we love the dining choices we have on NCL. We decide before we even embark where we want to dine and make our reservations for the specialty restaurants as soon as we can. If you don't want to be tied to reservations, simply show up at either of the two main dining rooms whenever you want. No need to cut short your time on shore.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. I could type all night about the things we like about NCL.

Good luck with your decision.

* 8 * nights

Slip of the finger there. Thanks so much for your reply. It's interesting that you made the same decision. What changed your mind?

We actually chose "anytime" dining on Princess and really liked it, although I must say using the phrase "anytime" was a bit misleading. You still had to choose each night whether you wanted your reservation early (5:30-6:30) or late (8:00-9:00) as they wouldn't seat you in between 6:30-8:00p. Not truly anytime in my opinion. This sounds much more flexible. Having to make reservations doesn't bother us but the option of dining in the main dining rooms without resies makes it that much better. I didn't realize this was an option.

Another thing that is appealing is the variety of the restuarants, a different type of food each and every night if you wish. We are very "by the seat of our pants" kinda folks and have found we don't like to be quite so structured any more. This sounds right up our alley.

Again, thanks so much for the info and I guess I'll be making that call tomorrow!

It's interesting that you made the same decision. What changed your mind?
In the past, whenever we booked a cruise, we would be so excited about it. Neither of us had that feeling after we booked the Dawn Princess. And it would have been so easy for us, because we live about 50 miles north of SF.

We had selected Personal Choice, but we didn't know about the hours you mentioned. However, there is only one alternative dining room on the Dawn Princess. It just seemed to us to be a different form of traditional dining.

We haven't found anything we dislike about NCL, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." At least not yet!

Dear tarps,

It's funny -- I usually cruise NCL & will be on the Crown Princess next month.:)

Take the cruise in the Romance Suite!

My DH & I were in this suite on the Dawn (sister ship). Butler & concierge service is definitely worth it.

Search the boards for butler & concierge and you'll see the services provided. For example, butler will provide in-suite dining (including full breakfast in am); concierge will make reservations at Specialty restaurants, among other things.

Enjoy!

I am new to the NCL board. We have cruised many times (15+) and are considering our options for our January '07 anniversary cruise. We have a deposit on the Dawn Princess for the 11-day Mexican Riviera cruise. However, I just came across the NCL Star 9-day that really intrigues me. Very similar itinerary, the only difference being no Mazatlan but adding Acapulco. We have done the Mexican Riviera before but have never been to Acapulco or Ixtapa. We have a balcony guarantee (BA) on the Dawn but now I see that the romance suite on the Star is only $800 more total. I feel it is highly unlikely we would get an aft on Princess and I much prefer knowing exactly what cabin we will have. It is two days less of cruising but, dang, a butler and concierge! We have sailed in suites before (due to some very lucky upgrades) on RCCL, Carnival, Disney and Princess, but, have never had a butler. Our last two cruises have been aft cabins and we are in love with the huge balconies. I have placed a hold on cabin 10726 and now have to make the tough decision. Do I cancel Princess and go with the Star? It has been 20+ years since we sailed on NCL (the Norway-1985). I just have not done the research on NCL that I have on the other lines and I know how valuable this site can be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We have to make a decision by tomorrow on the Star hold. We spend a great deal of time in our cabin and on the balcony so this is a huge factor. I know some people simply don't use their cabin all that much but that is not us.

After re-reading my post, I think I answered my own question but I would still like any info or advice you could give. Thanks so much.

Don't wait too long to choose. There are only 4 Romance Suites on the Star and they are in the aft on deck 10. You can use the balcony when the ship is sailing. There's no wind.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Thanks so much for all the info. We have cancelled our booking on Princess and have booked romance suite 10726. Yeah!! Does anyone happen to know how this particular cabin is decorated? I have seen pictures of 10226 but can't find any info on this one. I know they are all decorated differently. Just curious.

• 1 month later...
Thanks so much for all the info. We have cancelled our booking on Princess and have booked romance suite 10726. Yeah!! Does anyone happen to know how this particular cabin is decorated? I have seen pictures of 10226 but can't find any info on this one. I know they are all decorated differently. Just curious.

We were in 10726 on the Star about 5yrs ago on an Hawaii cruise. It's a spacious cabin, as the space has been used well. The bedspread was a zebra print throw, the walls were a mix of red and blue, with a red/blue carpet if I remember correctly. On the walls are modern art (pictures of animals I think in black, red/white). This might sound garish, but whilst it's not as I would decorate my bedroom, I can honestly say it WAS nice!

On the wall in front of the bed is a wall mounted LDC TV with built in CD player.

I believe these cabins now have coffee machines too, which is a rarity on cruiseships.

There is plenty of cupboard/drawer/storage with cupboards that can be accessed on the entrance passageway, as well as an internal passage. At the end of the internal passage is a lovely dressing table with cotton balls/buds etc

In one corner of the suite is a proper table and chairs which is laid with linen etc if you order room service. In the other corner is a small blue loveseat for 2 and a small table and additional chair. There were fresh flowers on the small table when we arrived and a chilled bottle of sparkling wine.

The balcony is a decent size with 2 lounger chairs and small table; and if you "stretch" you can see round to views on the port side of the ship.

The bathroom is split with the toilet on the left side with a separate door, the vanity sink unit in the middle and the tub with shower with full lenght screens on the right, making use of the toilet whilst someone is showering possible.

We loved this cabin and have now booked 10726 on the NCL Dawn on an upcoming cruise. I think that's about it!

Enjoy!:)

Archived