Pacific Star - disaster

rack62

I have a question to ask. Please don't shoot me down I am just interested.

rack62 & KathR, if you had such a bad time did you contact P&O on your return to raise your concerns? Also did you speak to the pursers desk on board to have them addressed at the time? More often than not I hear people say they had a terrible time but do nothing to try to improve it other than complain. I have found that a calm & rational discussion goes a long way to addressing issues before they "ruin" your holiday.

I know that my aunt has had cause to complain about her table waiter who was making nasty comments in Indonesian about her husband (now ex). He didn't know she could speak Indonesian and was well & truly caught out. He was disciplined and they got a new waiter. They funny thing is the next cruise we were all on together who should be our waiter but the same guy who did remember them and was fanastic. He is now a Head Waiter and I am sure that the little problem was probably the turning point in his career because it made him think about the passengers in a different way. We often seek him out and it is a highlight to find that Yuni is on staff on the ship we are travelling on or to find someone who knows him who can give us an update on him.

If you didn't feel comfortable addressing this on the ship, have you contacted P&O on your return so that they can be made aware of the issues and address them so improvements can be made? Did you honestly fill out your comments cards? We always take at least 1/2 hour to fill out the cards and give them our honest opinion and suggestions for improvement. My Nan has travelled on over 25 cruises and still takes the time to give her suggestions.

I'm sure that P&O read this board (they would be stupid not to:D ). But nothing can replace open communication from customers. BTW I would not suggest sending an email, that system is not particularly well managed but rather call them or send a letter to the CEO. Ask for a response and follow up if you don't get it.

Sorry for the length of my message but as I am sure you appreciate this is something I feel strongly about. If we all don't address problems we face they just become problems for the person who comes after us!!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

More often than not I hear people say they had a terrible time but do nothing to try to improve it other than complain.

Just a quick point that I know holds true for P&O UK and will very likely do so for our Aussie cousins - the questionairre you are given at the end of a cruise is taken very seriously by P&O. It's not a complaint form so be sure to put on there what you have enjoyed as well as what was wrong. If someone has gone that extra mile to make your holiday special then mention them in the forms as it could mean the next promotion for them (there is also the CRUISE customer service award for that whee you can nominate staff). Do take the time to fill in the forms as it is the only way things that are wrong can be brought to the attention of the company and dealt with.

I agree Heads. I always mention the staff who have given me excellent service!! I also have in the past sent letters thanking P&O and further extolling the staff who have my made my holiday extra special.

Too often we get focussed on ourselves and only comment when we are unhappy. Start looking for the good in life!!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Hi..

Yes, lodged complaint whilst on ship, there was plenty of interaction with the Officers, but it all resulted in a standard response.

Completed the questionnaire too...and championed the good bits...nominated the table waiter for an award and gave him a great tip..

...the good little cruisers that we are :)

Written to the CEO since we returned...(no response as yet)

All in all we had a great time, but comparison $ for $ with other cruise lines...no comparison.

Totally managed our own expectations pre-cruise that the ship was dated, and fully expected to be underwhelmed, but not in the areas described.

I don't know what anyone else felt, but the sea was a little lumpy in parts of the voyage, and, although I love that feeling when going to sleep, everything in the cabin rattled...so sleep wasn't easy :mad:

Agree that we need to be less serious....

We really enjoyed our cruise. Entertainment was great and the Company superb...just wouldn't go back...

Cheers,

Kath

I don't know what anyone else felt, but the sea was a little lumpy in parts of the voyage, and, although I love that feeling when going to sleep, everything in the cabin rattled...so sleep wasn't easy :mad:

We sailed out through the tail edge of Cyclone Wati - and I reckon that on the first night of the cruise we could identify every creek and groan of the walls, cupboards floors etc, in our cabin! But after that first rough night it wasn't too bad - maybe because we'd had the worst at the start - and the rest of the nights were quiet by comparison!

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience on the cruise. I know people who have been on these cruises and not one of them said it was fantastic. In fact all i heard was negative things from them. The food was terrible, the staff were unfriendly even the people on board. I don't think i'll be considering going on a cruise. No offence to everyone who likes them but it just makes me sick and to think about all thats happened. Hopefully P&O will find a way to fix up their reputation and attract the right sort of people.

I saw a friend of mine today that came back on the cruise that limped into Auckland. Her only complaint was the comlaining people onboard. One lady reckon there was nothing to do, friend asked if she had been to the piano bar, lady said, "No, where is that" and so it went on. Friend loved the food, loved the shows and the stopovers. Even the ship breaking down a bit didn't dampen her enjoyment.

I saw a friend of mine today that came back on the cruise that limped into Auckland. Her only complaint was the comlaining people onboard. One lady reckon there was nothing to do, friend asked if she had been to the piano bar, lady said, "No, where is that" and so it went on. Friend loved the food, loved the shows and the stopovers. Even the ship breaking down a bit didn't dampen her enjoyment.

We have often commented that the worst thing about our cruises has been our fellow passengers! (excluding those who were travelling with us of course!!). It would be nice to charter a whole ship and have it all to our selves!

:)

Written to the CEO since we returned...(no response as yet)

Kath,

I've been reading this thread since u originally posted as I'm going on the star later this month.

I appreciate your honesty and your opinion.

At first I was Gobsmacked, I had only heard positive things in the past, then I felt sick (What if we'd spent all this money on a bodgy cruise)?

Now I figure, after all the posts on this thread, there is good and bad in everything and I'm just gonna go and make the most of it!

I'd be very interested to hear how you go with your letter to the CEO.

Thanks

Mel

........there is good and bad in everything and I'm just gonna go and make the most of it!

Thanks

Mel

Good decision Mel. A holiday is what you make of it. Go with an open mind and I'm sure you won't be dissappointed. My neighbour's daughter & granddaughter just got off the Star on Sunday and had a ball, couldn't fault it in any way. And that is what most people say which was why I was surprised when I read the post by L90 who has NEVER heard a positive thing about it. I hope you have a wonderful time and I hope you let us know all about it when you get back.

Karen

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience on the cruise. I know people who have been on these cruises and not one of them said it was fantastic. In fact all i heard was negative things from them. The food was terrible, the staff were unfriendly even the people on board. I don't think i'll be considering going on a cruise. No offence to everyone who likes them but it just makes me sick and to think about all thats happened. Hopefully P&O will find a way to fix up their reputation and attract the right sort of people.

Obviously this has been quite a subject to discuss but I must have my say about L90 and his 'people on these cruises'. You seem to be around very negative people if they 'all' say the same about their experience. I was on a cruise with bad weather, over 2000 people, and a gentleman 'moaner' at my dining table. Even he complained about everything else except the holiday he was having. He praised everything on board from the food and the staff to the 'grog'. He complained about politicians, the schools, the RTA, the airports etc. So I figure if there was anything bad then he would be the one to surely complain if there was any little problem. Personally I had a terrific experience and never heard one complaint. I think some people are just negative about everything and love to complain and criticize. If you go with an open mind and remember just how much you paid for your trip compared to what you may pay for holidays on land then I think it is as good as you can make it. Oh, and I think I am one of the 'right sort of people'. Just and ordinary Aussie and proud of it. This has the same 'scent' of comments I hear and it makes me angry.

Sorry if I offended anyone, have cooled down a bit now. The 'right sort of people' got up my nose a bit, as it were.

I agree Sally, I am getting a bit annoyed with people giving you the 'look' when you mention cruising. It says 'so you're into sex, drugs and drinking' are you? I get a laugh when I think of the majority of people on my cruise above 60 yrs old getting into that sort of activity. I just ignore them now, they're just naive. If you haven't done it then don't criticize it I reckon. Experience it for yourself first. Everybody is different, some harder to please than others.

I agree Sally, I am getting a bit annoyed with people giving you the 'look' when you mention cruising.

I was pleasantly suprised on the weekend - I wore my Pacific Sky shirt and cap out shopping at the weekend - and I didn't get one negative comment. Thought I might get some comments as the inquest had been in the news alot up here the week before.

Kym

I was pleasantly suprised on the weekend - I wore my Pacific Sky shirt and cap out shopping at the weekend - and I didn't get one negative comment. Thought I might get some comments as the inquest had been in the news alot up here the week before.

Kym

They may be getting tired of hearing about it because it just seems to drag on and on, I hope they do find whoever gave Mrs Brimble the drug after all this.

Archived