Back from the Holiday

SOPHIELYNNE

Just a quick post if anyone is interested... we loved the Holiday! have cruise the Conquest, Sensation & Elation in the last 3 years and must say I think we enjoyed the Holiday best. The ship is definitely small... but the staff is incredible, food was great... we had a ball! :)

I have only sailed the Elation and was wondering if you ever felt "closed in" on the Holiday since it doesn't have an atrium? I'm a little claustrophobic and was considering the Holiday until I read that it doesn't have the multilevel open atrium. Just wondering what you thought. Thanks:)

;) We just returned from our trip on the Holiday too. Overall, the experience was awesome. The only minor complaint was the enormity of wild children running around, screaming, shoving on stairways, etc. (Blame the lousy parents). But there were even a few well behaved children (Praise the good parents). There was just a little odor noticed in some areas - rarely overwhelming, great weather, fab food, drinks, shows and games. The ship was very clean and well-maintained. Staff was superior and accomodating to all. Very few problems outside of pushy, horrid kids and teens knocking people down or randomly hitting as drunken parents laughed. This is no fault of the cruise line. There were several announcements requesting "no running" and so on. But rotten parents seem to encourage it. We often saw the staff trying to stop/control children all over the ship, asking them to act appropriately - to no avail. However, if you can steer clear of the children or quickly get out of their way when you see them coming, the trip is a delight. Don't let lousy parents ruin your vacation. You can tell good parents from bad ones instantly. We watched one "mother" purposely blow her cigarette smoke into her young childs face near the pool the entire time we were eating! Geez! Again, not the cruise - the people. Cruise photo backdrops were marvelous! Formal night was dressier than what you may have read previously about Holiday. In the dinning room, I only once saw a hick in denim shorts. (yes, she was a hick because she only had a couple of teeth, greasy stringy hair, I beleive she had a gummy bear and a chip in it, dirty toes, etc...and a man's tank top complete with yellow stains under the arms). Now, most people were very nicely dressed in the dinning room. Lido deck buffet, different story, but that is fine there, and expected. Lido food was superb! OK...nuff said, overall, wonderful experience, would do again in a heartbeat, but would try to schedule a time with fewer children. As a teacher, I have little choice but to cruise when kids are present so don't tell me simply not to cruise (someone will)And before I get flamed....not all children were unruly...and again, it is usually the parent's fault if the child is allowed to behave inappropriately. NICE! Kids = arrggh! Holiday = Wonderful!:rolleyes:

Chow - I know you have no choice, being a teacher, but - that's the reason most all my cruises are within the first two weeks of September...!:D

Well now, you know I'll be doing that too as soon as I retire. Afterall, cruising is the most economical COMPLETE vacation one can take!

I know I sounded harsh about the kids but I do have first hand experience in seeing how discipline has deteriorated/declined tremendously over the years. Honestly, I loved the cruise but often had to prevent injury to my mother as kids would run right into her everytime we were on the stairways. I was kicked and pushed myself...but I'm used to that. I guess I thought kids would be slightly better behaved on a cruise, but basically they were set free to wreak havoc. Many kids loudly berrated an excessively obese lady. Sure you could see she was quite large, but for teens to get huge thrills from calling her names was painful to hear. As the cruise went on, they would follow her around harrassing her. I wish something could have been done. She may have had glandular problems, etc. No matter how she got that way, it hurt me to see even adults laughing and pointing at her.

I gave the cruise itself an A+ but have to give the larger percent of travelers an F- for cruelty and downright trashiness. I wish I was one of those who could always overlook those sorts of things. Nevertheless, we had a terrific time.

We also try to take vacations when school is in, also we take longer cruises--very few kids on board.

If you stay over night in Mobile--if the hurricane did not destroy it stay at the Radission 5 mins from the port and a shuttle will take you there to the pier.:cool: :rolleyes:

I was also on the July 8th Cruise and yes the older kids were out of control. It is tough trying to sit and talk with your loved one while listening to John singing Clasic Rock next to cappuccinos while a bunch of young teenagers are trying to slam dance in front of you. I even saw a group of obviously stoned youngsters sitting at a table during the Country Show. They were just banging there heads against the table. I almost did not blame them after watching the show...LoL. Shout was a much better show later in the cruise.

The food was very good but the waiters and Matre'd were awesome. We had a waiter named Shiva from Napal. All I can say is if you get a chance to request him, you won't be sorry. My wife still has the hot's for the Matre'd. This was our first but definatly not our last cruise. The kid's issue was a pain but not enough to detract from the overall vacation.

Here is alink to some of our photos for those who care...

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/garysol1/cruise/?start=all

P.S. Our 5 year old daughter LOVED LOVED LOVED the Camp Carnival.

Many kids loudly berrated an excessively obese lady. Sure you could see she was quite large, but for teens to get huge thrills from calling her names was painful to hear. As the cruise went on, they would follow her around harrassing her. I wish something could have been done. She may have had glandular problems, etc. No matter how she got that way, it hurt me to see even adults laughing and pointing at her.

Though it is of no comfort to this woman, time and karma will take care of them.

That's what I like to hear.:) The Holiday remains my favorite ship!

Cotton, you need to try the Celebration! I just got back and it was awesome! Service was outstanding! Love the smaller ships!

Gary - From what I've heard about the new production show with a country theme, I'm glad I've not seen it. I just can't handle country music, dancing, anything country.:p

I really enjoyed 'Shout!' on all four Holiday cruises, and I'm really sorry they discontinued 'Fiego del Caribe' - it was GREAT with a fantasic caribbean theme.

Cotton, you need to try the Celebration! I just got back and it was awesome! Service was outstanding! Love the smaller ships!

Hey friend - I probably would, because you know I like the smaller ships, too, but I just went on an RCCL cruise to the Bahamas. Great cruise, and although I love the Bahamas, I really prefer MX!:) Glad you had a good time though.

Does anyone have any advice for a good day trip in Cozumel? We have a 16 year girl and 10 year boy. We're considering a beach with plenty of entertainment. We also hope the kids can find enough to keep from getting bored on ship. This will be their first cruise. We are concerned about the small size. We've been on the Inspiration and a real small ship formely called the Dolphin. (not sure what happened to it).

was our first two cruises and we have always loved the smaller ships. Ater the Dolphin, we sailed several times on the Enchanted Isle out of New Orleans. Even though we have sailed the larger ships, we will be going on our 6th Holiday cruise on 8/28. It just seems like the crews on the smaller ships are friendlier and more helpful. JUST MY OPINION.

Does anyone have any advice for a good day trip in Cozumel? We have a 16 year girl and 10 year boy. We're considering a beach with plenty of entertainment.

You might want to check out the Cruise Critic Cozumel board. Lots of info there. I LOVED Chankanaab Nat'l Park - tons of stuff to do, dolphins, sealion show, etc., but I don't believe they've been able to reopen since Wilma. Paradise Beach is probably going to be your best bet.:) Check out the ports board though.

Many kids loudly berrated an excessively obese lady. Sure you could see she was quite large, but for teens to get huge thrills from calling her names was painful to hear. As the cruise went on, they would follow her around harrassing her. I wish something could have been done. She may have had glandular problems, etc. No matter how she got that way, it hurt me to see even adults laughing and pointing at her.

I have to ask, if this poor woman's situation was as you describe, why didn't someone say or do something? It's easy for me to say since I wasn't there but I gotta believe that if I were, I would confront the overt abusers and report it to ship security. I don't care how large the woman was, she did not deserve that kind of treatment. :mad:

You might want to check out the Cruise Critic Cozumel board. Lots of info there. I LOVED Chankanaab Nat'l Park - tons of stuff to do, dolphins, sealion show, etc., but I don't believe they've been able to reopen since Wilma. Paradise Beach is probably going to be your best bet.:) Check out the ports board though.

Cotton: I found this...

CHANKANAAB OPEN, BEACH AWAITS YOU 26 Jun 2006

**NEW**

Chankanaab Park partially re-opened last week. Visitors can now access the main entrance area, lagoon and beach. Construction work continues on and around the dolphin attraction, but they hope to re-open by the end of this week too.

Park officials estimated that 75,000 plants were damaged or destroyed in last year's storm and the biggest challenge has been replanting them. 100s of workers have been repairing the attraction.

The botanical and archaeological areas are still closed, but could open again before the end of the year. The famous lagoon - from which the Park takes its name - is in good shape, with coral growing in its crystal clear waters. The beach area looks excellent and has new palapa sunshades, bar, hammocks and snorkeling access.

Entrance at the moment is 2 for 1, so 2 adults pay $16 ($8 each) to get in. Children also pay $8. Overall, if you are just looking for a beach club you may want to consider one of the free beaches to the south. However, if you're looking for something with a bit more on offer and want to support one of Cozumel's natural wonders, the Park is well worth a visit.

If you stay over night in Mobile--if the hurricane did not destroy it stay at the Radission 5 mins from the port

Stayed there before our Holiday cruise a couple months ago - lots of problems. Can't recommend it at this time. Too many other nice places to stay, and downtown Mobile on Sunday...:(

Gary - From what I've heard about the new production show with a country theme, I'm glad I've not seen it. I just can't handle country music, dancing, anything country.:p

Then you'd HATE Shout! I did, from both a personal taste and professional standpoint. (However, I got a chuckle from the "Urban Cowboy" costumes in one number - but that's another story:D)

BTW, Cotton - thanks for the tip about 3 way cube taps vs. a plugging strip - worked great on my last cruise!

Shout was better than the Country massacre though.

Oops. Thought Shout! was the Country show. Too lazy (or is it the bourbon talking?) to go check my Capers. A guy I worked with in Ca. just after the Holiday cruise had danced in it for a short time before the gig out west (he's been doing cruise ship shows for years) and had nothing good to say about the show either.

Archived