just want to snorkle w/turtles and see the monkeys?

flycatcher06

Hey Flycatcher06

my wife and myself went on a catamaran cruise not through the ship,we booked it online and it was absolutly amazing :) the captains name was Jason and he was very polite and informative, we went to see the sea turtles we were in the water for about 30 minutes they come right up to you after that we went to a shipwreck where they were thousands of fish,we booked the 3 hour snorkel cruise this boat is ideal for small groups,they take up to twelve people they met us at the gate and took us to a lovley bay where we met the boat the website adress is www.shasacatamarancruises.com fantastic day.

• 2 weeks later...

”Yes we used Just Breezing watersports last year for the 3 hour turtle swim and they were great. I would just like to combine the 2 - does anyone know how far the monkeys are from the ship?”

The Green Monkeys are ubiquitous on the island. They estimate 7-14,000 of them. But they are very cautious, as there was a bounty on them for years.

The best place to see them (no guarantees, though) is at the Barbados Wildlife Reserve in St. Peter. About 10 miles from the dock, about a 20-minute taxi ride on a good day or 40 minutes on a bad traffic day. Plan to spend US$15-18 each way for up to four (4) in the cab.

When these rascals do decide to show themselves, it is usually around 3-4 o’clock in the afternoon. If you’re there earlier than that, you probably won’t see them.

I’d take an early morning tour to the turtles, back to the ship for lunch, or go to a local restaurant, then taxi up to the Reserve later in the afternoon. If your ship doesn’t sail until 6pm or so, you won’t have any problem.

Green Monkey, Barbados

greenmonkey.JPG

Have a great time on the island! :)

While on Barbados a couple of years ago we were able to knock off 2 of the three things.....

We rented a mini-moke at the pier (what a blast!!) and drove to Folkstone Park in the morning for snorkelling. Folkstone is free entrance and has facilities, food and snorkel gear (to rent). Snorkelling was very good. While we were there, there were several boat owners offering to take us out to see the turtles but we did not take them up on it.

In the afternoon, we headed over to the Wildlife Preserve. We saw more green monkeys than I ever would have imagined. These things were everywhere!!

Had time after that to drive over to the very picturesque eastern shore (Bath area) before returning to pier. We had a great day in Barbados, I highly recommend getting out on the island. Driving is on the left but not much traffic out on the island. There were a few traffic circles and congested areas that were interesting though.....

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, just wondering whether you found a way to do both, it appeals to me too.

Thanks S

I've been wanting to do both as well. So far, I have found the Best of Barbados tour given by GloryTours has both....Sarah wrote me and said this of the tour, "Pick up 9am at the port. Visit Orchid World, St Johns Church, Bathsheba East coast, stop for Lunch, Visit The wild Life Reserve, and then head down the South coast for swimming with the turtles and snorkeling at a ship wreck via a glass bottom boat. Returns to the port at 4pm."

It seems to cover both, I'm just concerned that we wont be a the Wild Life Reserve when the monkeys are feeding. It's also only $89 per person and if I wanted to do both with my cruise ship it would be more than that.

Hi, just wondering whether you found a way to do both, it appeals to me too.

Thanks S

We saw a good part of the island (little Scotland, Sleeping Giant), saw some monkeys, drank rum punch, and snorkled for about 2 hours at a few shipwrecks...all in about 4 hours total time...for about $65.

It was a great excursion.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes we used Just Breezing watersports last year for the 3 hour turtle swim and they were great. I would just like to combine the 2 - does anyone know how far the monkeys are from the ship?

I was looking on their website for the tour information and it says that it's a 2 hours tour. This seems a little short to me. Do you remember exactly how long the tour was? Did they just take you to the turtles and the ship wreck? Did they include the Coral Reef stop? I am also looking at Thriller Turtle and Shipwreck tour and for the same cost, it's a 3 1/2 hours tour and it does include the coral reef and they drop you off at a beach at the end. Only problem is, they don't provide transportation to and from their dock.

Anyone else who have had experiences with these two tour operator, please advise. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Archived