formal nights...what do i wear ??

piggy-place

we are going on our first cruise sep 23 2006 and i have read loads of stuff about the formal nights but no one says what to wear, should it be all out long gown glamour, or just smart dress? we are going on legend of the seas west med for 1 week leaving from southampton england. i am 39 hubby is 40.

We've only been on Princess, but I think Princess and RCL are close enough. Women (and these are rough numbers) 30% very formal gowns, 40% evening/cocktail dresses, and 30% pant-suit. Men 40% tux, 40% black suit, and 20% other color suit. Of course, there are those that don't dress up, but the percentage is small. My wife normally wears a black pant-suit and I wear a gray suit. We don't feel out-of-place and love to see everyone in their finest. We feel the ship is no different than land, never wore a tux on land, not going to start on a ship. If you and hubby are the opposite and have the formals, then by all means bring them.

Hi--on these boards, go to Cruise Fashions (I think it's called); under the same heading as "First Time Cruisers" (Cruise Discussion Topics). The people who post there actually run photos of their formals and other clothes past each other and give advice on accessories. It's wonderful! Try it out.

And have a great cruise!

We dressed in what is probably termed 'Sunday best' as we don't do formals and didn't want to deal with being uncomfortable.

I brought two dresses, one was dressier than the other, both worked with the same pair of black pumps so I didn't have to bring extra shoes.

My mom wont' wear a dress, so for our cruise coming up, i'm sure she'll wear nice dress pants and sparkly top or something nice like that.

We dressed in what is probably termed 'Sunday best' as we don't do formals and didn't want to deal with being uncomfortable.

I brought two dresses, one was dressier than the other, both worked with the same pair of black pumps so I didn't have to bring extra shoes.

My mom wont' wear a dress, so for our cruise coming up, i'm sure she'll wear nice dress pants and sparkly top or something nice like that.

Formal doesn't have to be uncomfortable, if you wear clothes that fit :) !

I prefer knit dresses or pants outfits to other fabrics. Easier to pack, less wrinkles, softer on the skin, more forgiving if you have gained a couple of lbs, or just for sitting in clothing for any length of time.

I've gotten quite a selection going after 10 cruises, although a couple of them we have opted out of formal nights (on NCL only, where formal is optional).

I have 2 long, black knits skirts I pair with dressy tops and probably 3 or 4 long dressy knit dresses.

You will see every interpretation of formal you can think of on a cruise. From Sunday best (or even office wear) all the way up to ballgowns. Men wear everything from shirtsleeves with a tie, but no jacket all the way up to a formal tuxedo. I'd say the majority of men are in dark suits. Then, there are always a few who don't dress up at all, I have no idea if they choose not to or did not know there are formal nights (usually 2) onboard cruise ships.

If you have a dress or outfit in mind, you might post a picture of it on the fashion board. Most of the women (and men!) love to give their opinions. Just keep in mind it is a public message board, some people just don't know how to be nice!

BTW, when people say "pantsuit" they don't mean just an ordinary suit that you wear to work every day. It's a very dressy pantsuit that sometimes have lacy or beaded tops or fancy embroidery. In the Med, if you have a lot of Europeans on board, they tend to dress much more formally than those of us from America. You're going to see lots of long gowns and short, sparkly cocktail dresses.

Happyks, I agree with you about the comfort factor. I never understand it when people say they don't want to get dressed formally because they want to be comfortable. What's so uncomfortable about dressy clothing? I'm disabled and comfort is something I need to consider, but I have clothes that fit well and are extremely comfortable. Some of my most formal outfits are the most comfortable clothes I own. I have a beautiful long black gown that's so comfortable that I wish I could wear it every night.

Formal doesn't have to be uncomfortable, if you wear clothes that fit

For someone who NEVER wears a dress, any type of dressing up is uncomfortable - i'm a tom boy who never grew out of it. :D

But I understand what your saying. I felt like we 'fit in' on our last cruise, i'm sure we won't embarrass ourselves on our next one - or if we do, we'll assign ourselves to the buffet or room service :rolleyes:

hi everyone, i'm going aboard the Century on the Baltics on summer 2007. My concern is my brother who's joining us. He really would love to sit w us on formal nights but he's got a hair problem and is really concerned about dressing up. He always wears a cap to cover up his hair problem. But everyone knows that a suit/tux and cap doesn't mesh quite well. He was thinking about wearing a fedora or a nice hat along w/his suit. Any suggestions would help.. Thanks... Angel:confused:

hi everyone, i'm going aboard the Century on the Baltics on summer 2007. My concern is my brother who's joining us. He really would love to sit w us on formal nights but he's got a hair problem and is really concerned about dressing up. He always wears a cap to cover up his hair problem. But everyone knows that a suit/tux and cap doesn't mesh quite well. He was thinking about wearing a fedora or a nice hat along w/his suit. Any suggestions would help.. Thanks... Angel:confused:

I have no idea what his hair problem is, but polite men do not wear hats indoors, ever, especially in a restaurant. If he's losing hair, or has wild hair, a really great haircut is a good solution. Men should not have to hide their heads if they are losing hair, wild hair can be controlled with product. Right now is a great time to be bald, it's in style to shave your head.

However, if he has a medical condition and it is unsightly, then a hat may be in order. I think a fedora or other stylish hat would be acceptable in that instance.

Thanks for the input Kathy, its actually a hairloss problem, and i told him so many times to just shave it, after all it looks better and its the trend nowadays. But for some reason, he just couldn't get over this issue thus affecting his self esteem. I wouldnt want to deny him of this great dining opportunity if it means compromising his own issues so i guess we'll just opt for a stylish hat or a fedora. Thanks again for the input.. Angel:)

Archived