Cabin Location

didi7

We've decided to cruise on either Avalon or Amadeus newest ships. My question concerns location of cabin. We know we don't want the lowest level but aren't certain about where we would be likely to have the "quietest" cabins at the most economical price. Any suggestions or thoughts on whether we need have concerns about noise under restaurant, etc. I read here that you can often hear ship mechanical movements at front of ship. I also read that movement is slight so motion doesn't differ much in any areas. Thank you

Cruised with Avalon on the Poetry in 2005 , and opted for the least expensive cabin. The window was about 5' wide by 2' high and usually about 1 ' above water line except when ballast was taken on during passage under low bridges. On Avalon all cabins are the same size except for suites and have hotel style beds, no fold ups. We did hear some complaints from folks in foreward cabins about noise from the turbo thrusters, used when manuvering, especially when going through the locks. We have booked with Avalon for their 16 day Rhine and Mosel cruise in Oct. We have again chosen the least expensive lower deck cabins. I think that unless you plan on spending lots of time in your cabin that the upgrade cost of $ 1600 per couple is quite costly to be able to open a window. But that of course depends on your budget. River cruising is very smooth it is a feeling of gliding along practicly silent with little engine noise. The new Avalon Tapestry has the engines and bridge on a seperate craft that is connected to the hotel unit by a sound insulated coupling. They are touting this construction to be the quietest ships on the rivers.

Didi7,

On a regular river ship (not the towboat / barge thing like the Tapestry) my best advice would be a cabin midships. In the bow cabins you might hear the bow thruster, in the aft cabins you might hear the engines and the stern thruster.

steamboats

Archived