Freestyle Cruising

While Carnival still has set dining times for dinner, I believe they have open seating at breakfast and lunch in the main dining room. They also have a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I believe they also have a Supper Club that you have to pay extra for, much like Le Bistro on NCL.

Not sure about Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.

Not sure about Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.

On our Galaxy cruise two years ago, there were two seatings in the main dining room, a limited-seating reservations-only "alternative" dining area with table-service in the buffet where you could dress casually, a pasta bar, and room service. On Galaxy there was no dinner buffet, and I think that's fleet-wide.

We were thinking about trying Princess, so we did some investigation into their Personal Choice dining. On some of their smaller and older ships, they have turned one of the two large restaurants into a personal choice restaurant. That means that you go there for dinner at whenever time you want. On the Dawn Princess, there is only one alternative dining room, so your "choice" is that restaurant or the one set aside for personal choice dining.

The newer NCL ships have as many as 10 restaurants to choose from!

Archived