Auto-Tipping for a baby

mrbill62

Do you have to tip for a 15 month baby?My friend is taking a cruise and is not sure If he has to tip for his baby.And since I dont have any kids that young I dont know If he has to tip.

Thanks for your help

Personally, I would tip. As a mother of three, I can attest that fifteen month olds make a big mess when eating, and make lots of other little messes, also. The cabin attendant will be cleaning, as will the waiters. These people deserve their tips.

I agree with Druke and Largin... the auto-tipping for the baby should be left in place. While the baby won't be eating food from the dining room, there will be additional services and clean-up in the cabin for the steward. The baby is a passenger and all passengers should tip.

I have to agree with the other posters. DD's first cruise was at 21 months and we put extra into our tip envelopes (they didn't have auto tips then) because of all the crew did for her. She was treated like a princess. Your friends will be amazed at how the staff will dote on their baby. Our DD gets lots of special attention on cruises. :D I'm sure many of the crew miss their own children, so they treat the passengers' children with special care.

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

The cruiseline will charge you for the automatic suggested tipping amount. You can always adjust the tips up or down if you feel it necessary. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to expect the same amount of tipping for a 15 month old. I don't think they use the same level of services as an older child or an adult. At least mine didn't.

I agree with Hebejeebe. My brother took his 18 mo on the last cruise we went on. She was not extremely messy and the although the staff was great with her, it wasn't worth ten dollars/day! He turned off the auto tip on her account and handed out cash at the end of the cruise. He still paid $20/day for him and his wife...my opinion-that's plenty.

I agree with Hebejeebe. My brother took his 18 mo on the last cruise we went on. She was not extremely messy and the although the staff was great with her, it wasn't worth ten dollars/day! He turned off the auto tip on her account and handed out cash at the end of the cruise. He still paid $20/day for him and his wife...my opinion-that's plenty.
When he handed out the cash, that went into the tipping pool so that he actually tipped the person a lot less. $10/day for an adult is very reasonable so if I were traveling with an 18 mo. old, I'd leave the auto-tipping on and not tip extra unless I received outstanding service. While a baby might not leave a mess, there are many other services that are made that you might not think about.

Pam.. You will never change the mindset of certain individuals. They make up a myriad of excuses why they should do something or not... In this case, I think that eliminating the kiddie tip is just being cheap..

Having three kids of my own I always tip more anyplace I take them, kids make terrible messes, I always feel bad about the crumbled crackers and spilled juice. Not to mention dirty diapers in the trash! The auto tip should definitely be left in place.

When my DD, her DH and their 2.9 year old took their first cruise, she was a little put off my having an auto tip for the kiddo. Well, the kid was so well taken care of, adored, doted on, catered too, danced with, cleaned up after, special menued etc, that not only did she leave the auto tip in place, the Cabin steward and the dining staff got quite a bit EXTRA!

Being a server for quite a few years, I hate cheap people who come in with their messy kids. Not only are they MORE work, run you for extra items, they usually leave less money then when you have adults. There is not a server that I know that would rather have kids in her section than children.

Also remember on the cruise ship they wait on you all week. That chair that your childs takes up could be used by an adult that will tip at least the normal rate. Why should the server receive less because you bring your child along and feel you shouldnt tip because your cheap.

Being a server for quite a few years, I hate cheap people who come in with their messy kids. Not only are they MORE work, run you for extra items, they usually leave less money then when you have adults. There is not a server that I know that would rather have kids in her section than children.

Also remember on the cruise ship they wait on you all week. That chair that your childs takes up could be used by an adult that will tip at least the normal rate. Why should the server receive less because you bring your child along and feel you shouldnt tip because your cheap.

Attitudes like yours would make me tip less just to **** you off. A tip is earned not expected. I wait and see how the service is before I tip if you have performed average you will get 15% if you perform above expectations probably 25% but if you hardly ever show up at the table you will get 5% if your lucky and I will talk to the manager. Same as a cruise ship I will go on leave the tips unless poor service I will then reduce them. If i get above and beyond service extra tips for all that gave me that service. The attitudes of some people today that expect tips before they even give service floors me. My kids never leave a mess so no way would they require a full tip. Im amazed at some people who let there kids trash the room or dinner table and expect them to clean it up.I cant do that I clean up after my kids.

Pam.. You will never change the mindset of certain individuals. They make up a myriad of excuses why they should do something or not... In this case, I think that eliminating the kiddie tip is just being cheap..
I know I won't and I hear the little birdies singing in the trees -- but so many people don't know or understand that if they remove the tip and give cash, that cash goes right into the tipping pool so they're really short-changing the people they're trying to appreciate. If the auto-tipping is removed, then any cash MUST be turned in or risk being let go and sent home. How does Princess know whether someone has received cash instead of the autotip? I don't know what the system is but you can bet that they have one in place.

..... but so many people don't know or understand that if they remove the tip and give cash, that cash goes right into the tipping pool so they're really short-changing the people they're trying to appreciate.

Only if the total amount of tips given for that stateroom is reduced.

Do you have to tip for a 15 month baby?.... I dont know If he has to tip.

And the Answer is...

OF COURSE NOT! If you have to... IT AIN'T A TIP! It's a mandatory service charge.

Use your head, and use your heart... The parent needs to ask themselves, has this child - or have I on its behalf - received the benefits of good crew service?

Ask it honestly and answer it likewise and you'll do fine!

Automatic NOTHIN'

That said: A 15 month old child - at least in the dining room - will almost certainly create the needs for and receive the best efforts of the crew. You may well find that as to the cabin too. If you chose to adjust downward, PLEASE have your relative explain in the comment card that the service was (hopefully) great, but that under the circumstances of an infant it was felt adjustment was in order. But ask and answer yourself honestly first.

I would certainly hope that children would be preferable to goats. ;)

Oops, I should have proof read.

I am not saying it about all parents but there are alot of parents who let there children cry, scream, and carryon and make a mess. I see it everyday, however, there are children I enjoy having around. You can tell right away parents who take an interest in there children. Those are the ones who do not leave a mess when they leave and teach them to behave appropriately. Those are usually the one that tip decent and you enjoy waiting on.

Oops, I should have proof read.

I am not saying it about all parents but there are alot of parents who let there children cry, scream, and carryon and make a mess. I see it everyday, however, there are children I enjoy having around. You can tell right away parents who take an interest in there children. Those are the ones who do not leave a mess when they leave and teach them to behave appropriately. Those are usually the one that tip decent and you enjoy waiting on.

I take it you don't have kids. Otherwise you might be more understanding. Those parents "that take an interest in their kids" are the ones that are feeding the 15month old, cleaning up if necessary etc. In other words they are providing the services for the child. As for taking up a seat that would have been occupied by an adult that really doesn't make any sense. Another adult would not be in the same cabin as the parents so there is no such adult- only the 15month old.

In a land restaurant a 15month old is going to eat less than the adult (no alcoholic beverages either). In fact your restaurant may even provide children's meals in order to get the parents in as customers (the horror). So your tip will be less. Sorry you feel that makes parents with children cheap. Some other cruise lines (e.g., NCL) split the difference and have young children pay 50% of the normal tip rate.

Maybe the simple answer here is to wait until you experience the service on board with regards to the child, and determine then if the tips charged to his account are justified. Adjust up or down with the service your receive, keeping in mind that the tips are for the crew, not just a few individuals.

bplazo... I know what you mean. When we were on the Grand Princess several years ago, there was a large table with a couple of families traveling with small children and they allowed the 2- to 4-year olds run around, get in the way of the assistant waiters carrying heavy loads of food, etc. It was downright dangerous. One even ran up to our table and put their hands in my food, asking what it was. I couldn't believe that the parents would allow this or think it was acceptable.

Some are thinking strictly in terms of how much food a child consumes when considering the tip. There are so many other factors, such as the staff in the buffet who will help and clean up the tables. They are also part of the tipping pool. If you eat outside, there is staff to help you there and to also clean up, not just after a child but after anyone who sits there. The point is, there are quite a few crew members who participate in the tipping pool who might not provide direct personal service but whose efforts go a long way to making your cruise experience better.

To me, the mindset of, "I'm going to tip only the people who have provided personal service" aren't seeing the bigger picture or understanding just what has gone into making your cruise enjoyable.

When we first took our children on a cruise, I remember thinking that tipping the full amount for our 2YO seemed like a rip-off. Then I saw how hard the crew worked to cater to the little one. Plus, kids are always going to be a little messier than adults. When it came time to tip, I just couldn't justify doing the little kid's tip at 50% of the normal tip. It would have only saved $20 for our 4-day cruise. The crew earned the full tip for all of our travelers.

Maybe the simple answer here is to wait until you experience the service on board with regards to the child, and determine then if the tips charged to his account are justified. Adjust up or down with the service your receive, keeping in mind that the tips are for the crew, not just a few individuals.

Now this is the smart way to do it. Excellent suggestion, Sponge. I think most passengers will end up leaving the auto tip on when they see how hard the staff works. If this is not the case, then adjust accordingly. That option is always there, so why not leave it open instead of making this decision in advance?

Archived