Okay...I am new at this so I have a really easy question!

When you are checking in (embarkation) to the ship, can you just bring your luggage with you or do you have to give it to someone and it gets delivered to your room later? I would much rather just bring it with me and not have to wait for it. Thanks for any help on this.

Anything that fits through the scanner can be carried on. Check Carnival's website for exact dimensions. Luggage that is too big must be checked.

(FYI - I prefer to check everything except a small carryon. Hoofing luggage around a cruise ship is not easy.)

Unless you can fit all your belonging in a small carry on (similar to what you would carry on an airplane) all luggage needs to be "checked" in...You can carry small carry ons on board...

There is an advantage to this if you board the ship early and your room is not yet ready...you would have to carry all that luggage around unitl the room is available....

You MUST leave it with the Porters outside, they scan it and then deliver it to your room. You will have your luggage by 3:00 ish although they say it can be later........You should pack some clothing ina carry-on so you can change or put on your swim suit :)

For check-in, wear something casual and appropriate for dinner, in the remote chance your luggage does not get there in time. In your carryon pack shorts or swimsuit, and anything you need before the luggage arrives.

You hand all bags but the carryon to porters when you arrive at the pier. They immediately place your bags into a big bin, which a forklift then transports into the ship's belly. From there it is sorted and delivered to the door of your cabin. The leave it in the hall just outside the door.

On the Fascination in January we only took 1 carry on bag (the kind with wheels) each. The porters tried to convince us that we HAD to leave the bags with him--no exceptions (with his hand out for a tip--natch) but I'd read on these boards that carry ons can be carried on. We took our bags through security (and one had a few bottles of wine in it) without any problem whatsoever. The scanner is the same type equipment that the airports use. We got to the room, which wasn't done yet, and merely asked our steward if we could drop the bags off (another tip I learned on these boards ;) ). He agreed and we immediately headed to the lido deck for food, drinks, sun and fun. So, I think, at least for the Fascination, you can carry on carry ons and drop the bags in your room if your steward/ess is not in a bad mood.

You MUST leave it with the Porters outside, they scan it and then deliver it to your room.

As already discussed, no, it isn't mandatory to leave the luggage with the porters, IF it will fit into the small x-ray machine. If it's too large, you then have to go back down and check it with the porters.:rolleyes:

What happens if you have a guarentee cabin and you don't know the assignment before you leave for the port? I really don't want to hand my bags over without the room # on the tags and i know they will be too big to fit through the scanners. We are taking a shuttle (not through carnival) from FLL to miami and if i remember correctly, there is someone there the minute you step out of the van ready to grab your luggage.

What happens if you have a guarentee cabin and you don't know the assignment before you leave for the port? I really don't want to hand my bags over without the room # on the tags and i know they will be too big to fit through the scanners. We are taking a shuttle (not through carnival) from FLL to miami and if i remember correctly, there is someone there the minute you step out of the van ready to grab your luggage.

You just write it on your tags when they give you your cabin number, they will have it on the manifest.

What happens if you have a guarentee cabin and you don't know the assignment before you leave for the port?

When you get to the port, go to the luggage area. There will be a guy there holding a manifest (list of passengers, on a clipboard). Tell him your name, and he will tell you your cabin number. Either you or he can write the number on the tags. (This happens frequently, so don't worry about it.)

Archived