barcelona to venice on the millie: good time to eat at the olympic?

jerseyjohn711

Hi folks,

What night or nights would be good ones to eat at the specialty restaurant?

I know that there have been general threads on this subject, but in particular were there nights where the food should not be missed in the main dining room? (i.e. lobster, baked alaska night?)

Is the food any more impressive or fancier on the formal nights, or is it the same quality on the casual nights?

Thanks!

-John : )

joh, just returned from the 7/1 millie barcelona to venice . the night that I wouldn't miss dinner would be the one in Santorini. That evening you leave at 11:00 pm and there is an amazing deck party and greek buffet at the pool and on deck 11. authentic greek music, local wines and even a pig being roasted on a spit next to the pool!!!! The sunset is magnificent, the only slight problem is that if you are really into sunsets the best place to experience it it up in the town of Fira high above the water.

enjoy the cruise It was our favorite yet and the Millie was in perfect shape. Wendy

Funny how opinions and experiences can differ - the one night I would gladly have missed was the buffet in Santorini. Although the food was good, it was very hard to get a table and we ended up perched on the side of the pool! trying not to drop anything.

• 2 weeks later...

We just arrived home from the 7/13 trip and we made reservations for the Olympic dining room before we departed. Because Celebrity switched the ports of Santorini and Athens, we ate in the Olympic restaurant on the night we were in Santorini. We were not disappointed, in fact it turned out to be the best night to eat there. There were perhaps six tables occupied at 8:30 pm. The service and food was excellent. The service and attention we received was unlike any previous Olympic experience. The staff commented that this was the best night to go because all other nights they were expecting 90-110 people.

Those who went to the gala buffet complained of not being able to find a table (liken it to chair hogs) because no one left once they arrived. Also, you need to like Greek food -- lots of lamb.

We also just returned home from the 7/13 trip. We are ready to do it again, and would do it in reverse order next time. Although we didn't go to the Olympic, we knew the 2 evenings on the sea days were totally booked way ahead of time, but you could get reservations on the other nights even a week into the cruise.

If we do this itinerary again, we would eat there the evening in Villefranche, as we found Nice and Monte Carlo totally uninteresting. But for us, it was the final formal night, and we wanted to spend it with friends...that's why we didn't go. The final formal night had lobster, prime rib and baked alaska. We loved Santorini, and spent a lot of time there.

The greek buffet was great....as was all the food on this trip. Yes, it was crowded....the wife and I just went back to our cabin and watched the city lights from our balcony (our cruise had over 400 kids <18 onboard). We were on deck 7 and could still hear the music....enjoyed it. Watched the sunset from the top of the hill in Thira.

Dave

I think any night spent at the Olympic is well worth it. That said we ate there on the first formal night because I wanted to be in formal attire for the lovely experience. We celebrated the 2nd formal night with our friends and also celebrated my birthday on another night so we had lots of social time with our table. I do think that making reservations for a sea day before sailing is the best way to go (if you can do this through Captain's Club). It is more relaxing that way since this is such a port intensive trip and you want to be wide awake for this experience. The food - sublime, the service - excellent (If Sam is still a waiter there, ask for his table when you reserve - he's wonderful AND georgeous). Would never sail Millennium with eating there and some folks did it more than once.

Archived