Just Back from Caribbean Princess June 26 Sailing! (Part 1)

monk888

Good morning. I collapsed last night about 9PM or so. I guess the week and the drive finally got to me, but I am back up and ready to respond to any questions raised. Let me address the ones I found this morning in the order presented:

cruzfvr. Yes, the internet use is free if you have a suite. They post it to your bill, but then they issue a credit in the same amount. That Internet Cafe is wonderful. You never feel out of touch...unless you want to.

mary07054. Regarding "Kid Boredom", please don't worry about it. That was not my intention. My 10 year old had plenty to do on this ship. It's just that there never seems to be enough to keep these kids fully occupied. My point was the more the merrier. I would definitely bring the Playstation2 with you on the trip. Just see my post for the directions on how to hook it up to the TV. Better yet, just let the kid do it! My son is complaining this morning that he's home now and he wishes he were back on the ship.

kimanjo. The Aft pool area is for you if you want shade during the day. Skywalkers is suspended above, so there is shade out there during the day, even though the shady spots move depending on time of day and position of the ship. There is also a terraced effect back there so that there is usually shade in one area or the other. Also, there are so many "nooks and crannies" around that ship that you will surely be able to find shady spots during the day.

Regarding lame activities, my son is a gaming fiend. Anything other than Gran Turismo is lame to him. I noticed the post by khfadpi who states that their friend's 12 year old daughter was signed up for the Teen Zone even though you're supposed to be 13, and they had no problem with it. She's probably be very happy in there. In fact, one night I was walking around the ship alone, and as I walked by the Off Limits club (teen area), that seemed to be the busiest place on the ship! She'll have a great time. Don't worry.

TexEm. No. I did not meet Chris, but I think I saw him by the Aft pool a few times.

psupa. Yes, I did sign up for Godfrey's tour. He met me at 9AM just as I walked off the ship. He was holding a sign with my name on it, just as if he were picking you up at the Airport with a limo service. He is very friendly and professional. He gives a complete Island tour for just $20. First, he takes you downtown and drops you off for 3 hours of shopping. Then, he takes you all around St. Thomas for an island tour. You then have the option of returning to the ship or being dropped off for a swim at Magens Bay, Sapphire Beach or Coki Beach. In any event, he promises to get you back to the ship by no later than 4PM. His vehicle is very late model and can easily handle the hills of St. Thomas.

Any more questions, keep 'em coming. I'm loaded up now with primo Columbian Coffee, freshly brewed!

Monk888,

This review is great! Very well written and thorough. We are leaving on July 10th with our 19 month old daughter. Did you happen to see any babies on the ship? We are going with extended family and there will be 16 of us total.

Is the internet also free in the mini suites or just suites? WE are booked in a balcony cabin on Riveria but are trying to move to a mini. The ship is sold out but we are being told that the day of there will be cancellations? What time was the pizza at the pool available until? I have a feeling we will be getting that for my daughter for dinner every night.

We are bringing a portable DVD player. Do you think we will be able to hook it up to the TV in the room?

thanks

Suzanne

suzw. Yes, I saw babies on board. There is a kiddie pool with a tiny slide in the Aft of the ship a few decks above the Aft pool. I think it is on the Sports Deck 17 or the Sun Deck 16. That might be a nice place for you and the kids. I don't think the Internet is free for those in mini-suites, but I am not certain. I am sure someone out there knows the answer and would be willing to share that info.

The hours of Prego Pizza are posted as 11AM til 8PM. Same thing for Trident Grill. Scoops is open from 11AM til 5:30PM and then again from 7:30 til 10:30PM for you late nate ice cream fiends.

Definitely bring the portable DVD player. We had one. It is no problem hooking it up. You will need an extension cord with at least two outlets to plug into. Just pull out the power cord on the TV, plug in the extension cord and then plug the power cord of the TV and the DVD into that. You then need to plug the Audio and Video cables into the front outlets on the TV. You will have a Red, White and Yellow plug coming out of your DVD, but only two places on the front of the TV to plug into. Don't panic. You only need two of the three. Plug the Yellow plug into "Video In" and plug the Red one into "Audio In."

WendyG. Graham Seymour is like a fugitive from a mental hospital. He is a riot! His morning show on the TV is really quite funny. His reviews of the drink of the day are usually brutal. The only one he liked was the Strawberry Daquiri (my favorite!). He really gets the crowd going. I can see why he's so popular.

mary07054. About your 16 year old. Go by the Off Limits Club. Like I said, that was one of the most happening places at night. Loads of teens hanging around spilling out into the lobby area having a good time.

Thank you very much for your review! The review was positive and very upbeat to keep your interest peeked, I bet you do a heck of a "closing".

As we count down to our cruise, I look forward with great anticipation and positive feelings. Thank you very much !

psupa----our family did the Godfrey Tour. He was very nice, professional, knowledgable, and accommodating. He took us to Sapphire Beach which was lovely, but they ran out of food there. Only one area to eat, an informal BBQ of sorts. Nearby there was a restaurant that was open-air, but hotdogs were 7 dollars...NOT!

WOW, what an awesome and detailed review, thanks monk!!! :)

A few questions regarding the suite perks. You mentioned with embarkation you were in a long line (that moved)...since you were in a suite weren't you supposed to have priority embarkation? We're in a suite in December and I'm curious as to how that really works. Also, did you use any of the "priority" services...such as for tenders? And you do have to make the Sabatini's reservation in person; there is no concierge to do it for you?

Thanks for your VERY helpful information! :)

suzw,

Since you will be with your family in such a large group, if you have adjoining cabins with balconies on the Riviera Deck, ask the room steward to unlock the adjoining glass doors on the balconies (if you're a very close family, that is!). Have a great time!

One last little bit of advice, if I may. I would suggest getting a lanyard (laniard) at one of the shops in the atrium for your cruise card. You know, one of those things that you wear around your neck. They will punch a small round hole in your cruise card and attach it to the laniard. It just makes things easier when you need to present the cruise card, which turns out to be very often, such as getting on or off the ship at every port, every night in the dining rooms, ordering a drink at the bar or in a show lounge, making onboard purchases in the gift shops, leaving the ship in Ft. Lauderdale, etc. It's just easier to have it around your neck than to have to fumble for it every time you make a transaction, at least for me.

Monk, Thanks for the info regarding the free internet for suites. We will be taking our 18 yr.old and 15 yr. old, so we will definitely bring a Playstation along also. I printed your review for the info since we are not going on the CP until Christmas.

Monk, thanks for one of the best reviews I have read in a long long time... Very fair and even handed.
I may even try the CP. I am a real fan of the Grand Princess but was wary of the changes (ie more cabins). I agree that on sea days - even on the GRAND getting a chaise anywhere at all was pretty near impossible (and like yourself I have kids so foward and aft were out). I do love the aft pool- it is one reason why I am such a big fan of this class of ships.
It sounds like they have sorted out the initial problems that the had with PC dining on the CP (ie very long waits).
Anyhow, I think the secret is going to be to select an itinerary with a lot of port days and not as many sea days. We did this in the spring on the Constellation- and then spent a few of those port days on the ship.

Jacqueline,

I too was concerned early on when I read about the initial problems/issues on the CP with Anytime Dining, etc. However, having gone on the ship several months after its debut, having given the line time to "work out the kinks", it is clear to me that Princess really does read those comment cards and probably these very message boards and takes them seriously. I applaud a cruise line that takes input and criticism from its passengers and makes a sincere effort to correct problems and build upon strengths. I would not hesitate to cruise on the Caribbean Princess again or on any other Princess ship as I think they did their very best to make our cruise a very enjoyable experience. They succeeded.

Suzw,

I am not certain that I was clear enough about the glass dividing door. That door is out on the balcony separating your balcony from the one next door. It is normally locked and affords you total privacy from the ones on either side of you. However, if your cabin and the cabin of your family members are next door to each other, the door between the balconies can be opened with a key so that you and your family members can walk back and forth between balconies, if that is what you want. Just ask the room steward to open it up.

Mandiecandie - the Lotus Spa is really lovely. Once you check in you are led to a changing room, provided with robe and slippers, and the key to a locker where you may store your personal items. You can then proceed to a waiting area and sit, or go to the thermal room where there are approx 6 heated tile lounges that conform to your body. Does wonders for the aching back, and is so relaxing. This is a co-ed area. You are also free to use the steam and sauna rooms.

I had the 'steaming stones" massage and it was great. The last day I had the marine something, (sorry can't recall exact name) facial that was an 80 minute treatment, also very nice. DH had 2 Swedish masssages, and said they really worked him over, working on the knots in his back. He loved it!

The waiting area also has urns of water flavored with lemons and apples. This is also the location of the swim against the tide pool. My only criticism is that the spa evidently is located under the jogging track, and if someone is out for a run, you can be distracted by the noise above.

I will definitely book these treatments again, as will DH. By the way - after your treatment there is no pitch to sell the products they use. This is a big plus over the days when Steiner operated the spas!

Hope this helps!

Ella2,

Sorry that I didn't respond to your questions sooner. I must have overlooked them. Anyway, regarding the "Suite Perks." The priority embarkation only kicks in after you have waited on the main line, enter the building, filled out the form testifying that you and no member of your family have recently suffered from the symptoms of the Norwalk virus (if that is its correct name) and shown your tickets to the first security person who only lets those with tickets beyond that point. At that point, you are in the Princess terminal building. At the far end of the building along one wall is the real cruise check in. Check in is handled by deck name. You go to the line with your Deck name on it. However, and this is very important for you since you are in a Suite, DO NOT GO TO THE LINE THAT SAYS RIVIERA DECK EXPRESS CHECK IN. You need to go to the line with the banner that reads "Platinum Check In." If you look very closely on that sign, in very small type it also says something like "Suite Check In." You would not see it from a distance unless you had Eagle eyes. You'll recognize it right away. It's the super short line that everyone wants to go in. It's sort of in the middle of them all, perhaps a bit to the right of the middle. It will save you about 5 or 10 minutes.

Regarding the "priority tendering", the night before the Princess Cays, they deliver to your mailbox an envelope containing small green cards which give you the right to go straight to the Deck from which the tenders depart rather than reporting to the Princess Theatre where they assign you a color and you wait for them to call you. Frankly, it wasn't an issue since I counted at least 6 tenders operating simultaneously. They handled that job with amazing efficiency. Also, it's value depends on your ports of call. In St. Thomas and St. Martin, you pull right up to the dock with no need for tenders.

Lastly, regarding Sabatini's, your PH Suite will do you no good. I called the Concierge and asked them to reserve Sabatini's for me the moment I got into the Suite. They said I had to go there myself and that it opened at 1PM. I told them I was in a PH Suite as if that would make a difference. They politely told me that I still had to go to Sabatini's and make the reservations in person. I guess that the alleged "suite perks" only go so far. So be it. I needed the exercise and got the chance to see the inside of Sabatini's. It really is beautiful.

You didn't ask about the daily hors de oevres (sp?) or "hoover doovers" as I call them. They deliver the first set of them to your suite on the first day and give you an order form to select the ones you want each day. They are about 8 small pieces of treats like proscuitto ham on melon ball, salami on a type of cracker, cream cheese with something, you get the idea. They are a nice little "nosh" every afternoon.

You also get an initial bar set up. We got Gin, Corvossier (sp?), and two other liquors in the small bottles. They also gave us some Coke, Sprite and Tonic Water. The booze is still there as I am no big drinker. I only drank the Strawberry Daquiris.

Cruzenmama,

Yes, you can get to the Aft pool from inside the Riviera Deck. Just walk all the way down that long corridor of staterooms to the rear of the ship and you will come to the big wooden door leading out to the Aft pool. You just walk up a few steps and there you are! Very convenient.

Monk888:

I forgot to ask this, did you have the Lobster balcony dinner? I will be celebrating my birthday, but my travel buddy has been the best about this, so I wanted to surprise him with it.

Thanks for all the great posts, and I am really getting excited counting down our cruise!

Sorry Kymby1021. We did not have it. However, I read a review a few weeks back from one cruiser who did. They said it was superlative. That review also said that they could only do 2 of those per night, so you need to call the Concierge on the phone the moment you board to make arrangements. I'm sure it would be spectacular!

[color=red][b][i]Monk,[/i][/b][/color]
[b][/b]
[color=royalblue][b][i]Fabulous review .... absolutely one of the best as far as details and insight I have ever read. We are sailing the CP on November 27th and I am more excited than ever after reading your observations. Appreciate all the the tips too. I've printed it out to read again and share with our cruisemates.[/i][/b][/color]
[b][/b]
[b][i][color=red]Hope everyone is having a safe and Happy 4th of July! :)[/color] [/i][/b]
[b][/b]
[color=blue][b][i]Diane[/i][/b][/color]

Archived