Why Pay Xtra for Food

ezmony54

<snip>

That said, being vegetarians, it did not appear so enticing to us. Especially considering the how great the vegetarian entrees are in the dining room.

Maybe it's just early and I'm just hungry, but I was thinking... Everytime I've mentioned it when I make my reservations (at nice land restaurants) the chef has been delighted to put together a vegetarian meal. Really, sometimes I get something fantastic. I'd be sort of surprised if the supper clubs wouldn't be willing to do something similar - and I'm sure it's droolworthy. mmmm....

The dining room does not even compare to the supper clubs... the food is of superior quality in the SC, the service is impeccable. It's well worth every penny and then some. The food in the dining room is nice, but NOTHING like the food in the supper club.
My next cruise will have a supper club. Can you order extras at no additional cost like in the dining room?

My next cruise will have a supper club. Can you order extras at no additional cost like in the dining room?

You get one appetizer, one salad, one entree, one dessert per person. This is included in your $30 fee. Plus, sometimes the chef will send out samples of dishes with his compliments. The portions are large, and you will not need extras.

Very well worth the $30 surcharge.

Hubby and I love fine dining, and usually go for our anniversary every year to a nice restaurant. With what you get in the supper club, comparitively, it is a $200+ meal here in Richmond, VA at an upscale restaurant. I'll gladly pay $60 for the two of us to enjoy this service, atmosphere, and food. (I ate the ENTIRE porterhouse steak and probably could have licked my plate had it been socially acceptable)....

Enjoy!

The dining room does not even compare to the supper clubs... the food is of superior quality in the SC, the service is impeccable. It's well worth every penny and then some. The food in the dining room is nice, but NOTHING like the food in the supper club.

Sorry to disagree Chris, but in our case it wasn't superior in quality (not bad mind you, but not worth the extra $'s IMO). That said, we could have been there on an off night (which technically shouldn't occur at a premium restaurant). The couples sitting at the table next to ours didn't find the food all that great either.... However, the ambiance and the service were wonderful, superior to the (great) service we received in the main dining room.

All in all, it's personal preference me thinks.

Sorry to disagree Chris, but in our case it wasn't superior in quality (not bad mind you, but not worth the extra $'s IMO). That said, we could have been there on an off night (which technically shouldn't occur at a premium restaurant). The couples sitting at the table next to ours didn't find the food all that great either.... However, the ambiance and the service were wonderful, superior to the (great) service we received in the main dining room.

All in all, it's personal preference me thinks.

You guys must have had an off night... I've heard MOSTLY glowing reviews about the supper clubs, but then again, there is always a chance of an off night. While it wasn't the best meal I've ever had, it was definitely a meal that I would have likely paid $100 at a nice restaurant in any large city... If you get a chance, try it again. Write to Carnival and let them know and maybe they will comp you on your next visit...

It's just my mom and myself this cruise. Will we feel funny in the Emerald Room (or whatever it is called) since it is meant to be a romantic dining place? :rolleyes:

I've never heard that it was meant to be a romantic dining place :confused: It's like any other fine dining menu, you will see singles, couples, etc. It's definitely not just for "couples"...

Pineapple Gal, sushi is free on the ships that have a sushi bar (sake extra :p), the dessert cafe, there is an extra charge for.

You guys must have had an off night... I've heard MOSTLY glowing reviews about the supper clubs, but then again, there is always a chance of an off night. While it wasn't the best meal I've ever had, it was definitely a meal that I would have likely paid $100 at a nice restaurant in any large city... If you get a chance, try it again. Write to Carnival and let them know and maybe they will comp you on your next visit...

I am beginning to believe we had an off night I guess; pro vs con for the supper clubs seems to be in the 95% vs. 5% area, so we must have. We'll definitely go again, if only for the service and ambiance. And I agree, it's an easy $100 + spent for two at a land based restaurant.

As far as being comped, we didn't hate it in the least, so we won't think of asking to be comped.... but wait, isn't it always Carnival's fault??? UB, oh UB? :D

I am beginning to believe we had an off night I guess; pro vs con for the supper clubs seems to be in the 95% vs. 5% area, so we must have. We'll definitely go again, if only for the service and ambiance. And I agree, it's an easy $100 + spent for two at a land based restaurant.

As far as being comped, we didn't hate it in the least, so we won't think of asking to be comped.... but wait, isn't it always Carnival's fault??? UB, oh UB? :D

Well, I go by myself (with a group) to the SC... so that $100 was for me :D LOL!! I still spend that much in the SC with wine, drinks, etc. It's not too hard to do... but it's still worth it. I would think on land you could probably spend $200 per couple, since most places that are of that quality these days, are "a la carte"... I've spent that easily on 2 at some restaurants in NYC and LA... of course our customers never pick a "cheap" place to eat when I'm paying for it :rolleyes: LOL!!!

It's always Carnival's fault Tim, always always always!!!! LOL!

Because it is a superior dining experience, appreciated by those of us who enjoy a 5 star experience and worth every penny at $30 person.

The question is no different than why would you pay extra for a balcony room or suite - the answer is always - personal choice and financial capability. There are those that would question you why you would spend $$ to go on a cruise periond - and you have been on several. ???

well said!!!

We go for the experience. To me it kind of like paying for a massage on a ship; it's a delightful treat. I once had an entree I wasn't crazy about (the stone crab), but there was so much other food it really didn't take away from the total experience.

On our next 2 ships there are no supper clubs and we will be fine enjoying the dining room experience every night...but if there were supper clubs on those ships, we would be there one night per cruise.

Do what you enjoy. Pick your splurges. A million ways to have fun....

It's just my mom and myself this cruise. Will we feel funny in the Emerald Room (or whatever it is called) since it is meant to be a romantic dining place? :rolleyes:

No you'll love it!! I went with my husband, but I'm taking my sister when she and I cruise. The food was truly exceptional. Take you mom and a BIG appetite. It's lovely, enjoy!!!

I've never heard that it was meant to be a romantic dining place :confused: It's like any other fine dining menu, you will see singles, couples, etc. It's definitely not just for "couples"...

Thanks! I thought maybe it was mostly couples!

My daughter and I have a cruise coming up the 30th of this month on the Conquest. For me the hi-light of the cruise is never the food, as a matter of fact....I wish there wasn't so much of it as I hate the weight gain! I know, it's vacation. Personally I enjoy the quality things in life, but I to would prefer to spend the money on a tour or other experience as opposed to food. I think the dining room is nice, but at times I pass on that as I don't always want to schedule my activities around a meal time.

I have been on several carnival crusies and I am wondering why you would want to pay extra to go to anywhere but the main dinning rooms. I mean wow the food is so great and you can get about anything including great steaks. Tell me why spend 50.00 . I know since so many do it , it has to be some reason... Thanks , Ez:cool:

We gave it a try on the Valor this past March during French Night, it was well worth the 60.00 for both Wendy and I. I will be booking Davids on the Pride this Sept.

You get one appetizer, one salad, one entree, one dessert per person. This is included in your $30 fee. Plus, sometimes the chef will send out samples of dishes with his compliments. The portions are large, and you will not need extras.

Very well worth the $30 surcharge.

Hubby and I love fine dining, and usually go for our anniversary every year to a nice restaurant. With what you get in the supper club, comparitively, it is a $200+ meal here in Richmond, VA at an upscale restaurant. I'll gladly pay $60 for the two of us to enjoy this service, atmosphere, and food. (I ate the ENTIRE porterhouse steak and probably could have licked my plate had it been socially acceptable)....

Enjoy!

Thank you for the information. I guess I will have to wait until the dining room has a weak menu to try the supper club. It is hard to pass up filet mignon and lobster tails when you can have more than one of those.

Archived