Why Pay Xtra for Food

ezmony54

Some of you sound defensive to my posting. I don't judge people for their lifestyle choices, I was just stating how I feel. I enjoy fine food as well, but I believe many people (not everyone, don't get defensive) make food and meals a very high priority in their life. You can typically tell who these people are at the grocery store by seeing what's in their cart.

I plan on enjoying the meals while I'm on my cruise, and yes, I'll eat more than normal, but I'm not going to come back from port calls early, or miss other shipboard events so I can eat in the dining room. The cafeteria is open a good portion of the time and there is always something to be found to eat.

Sorry if I offended anyone, just stating my choices, not what I think others should do.

Some of you sound defensive to my posting. I don't judge people for their lifestyle choices, I was just stating how I feel. I enjoy fine food as well, but I believe many people (not everyone, don't get defensive) make food and meals a very high priority in their life. You can typically tell who these people are at the grocery store by seeing what's in their cart.

I plan on enjoying the meals while I'm on my cruise, and yes, I'll eat more than normal, but I'm not going to come back from port calls early, or miss other shipboard events so I can eat in the dining room. The cafeteria is open a good portion of the time and there is always something to be found to eat.

Sorry if I offended anyone, just stating my choices, not what I think others should do.

This has nothing to do with a lifestyle choice... this is about a different dining venue (which as I mentioned, serves us much healthier choices than much of what you find in the dining room). Because you choose to have dinner, does not mean that you make food a high priority in your life... it means you are having dinner. Because you are willing to pay the upcharge, simply means you want a different, more refined dining experience... not anything else. You can tell alot from one's cart in the grocery store... sure, I'll give you that, but that has NOTHING to do with people that enjoy the supper club experience. Have you done this yet?? I'm not sure why you are posting here, your views and comments about overeating and making food a priority.. in a supper club thread? :confused: You could have just posted it in your "there's too much food on the ship" thread. It's as if you are trying to place a connection with people that pay $30 extra for a meal are obsessed with food. Just telling you, it's not the case. People have different levels of what they enjoy... I generally don't eat much while on a cruise, during the day we are busy having fun... but for dinner, I want a nice dinner... regardless of where it is, I would like a nice meal... very simple

"Ambiance, great food, great service, more intimate dining experience."

On our last cruise on the Glory, we were given OBC for the ship not going to the ports we were suppose to. We, DW, adult son and I decided to use it to try out the SC.

This is our outlook on our experience. This is not a complaint, this is just what we experienced.

The only thing I don't understand about your review is the part about "the lies" when you were presented with extra courses. It sounds like they started with an amuse-bouche. Pretty standard at a true fine dining place. (in fact, it would be odd NOT to get one). The other extra courses sound like a nice touch, too. How exactly were you being lied to?

I'm just curious about this. I was going to ask if there were additional items beyond what was actually printed on the menu (like an amuse or a sorbet course to cleanse the pallete)

I'm always puzzled by comments expressing annoyance at cruiselines looking for "another way to make money?" What? And risk jeopardizing their tax-exempt non-profit status? :)

I am glad the cruiselines find ways to make extra revenue. I enjoy being able to get a very good, complete vacation experience at an affordable price, with the OPTION to pay extra for whatever perks I choose, WHEN I choose them. I like having the option to CHOOSE whether I want to pay an extra $30pp for a PREMIUM dinner on any given night. I prefer that to having to pay a higher price for a cruise that has FANTASTIC food EVERY night. It gives me more flexibility over how I spend my money, especially given that I may not even feel like getting dressed for dinner every night.

If I decide it's worth it to me to pay an extra $30 for premium dining, or $100 on photos and Carnival makes a nice profit margin off it, it's a win-win. It helps keep the cruise more affordable overall, and that's Carnival's niche. It's not as though the basic experience is substandard -- it's great.

Read more carefully. He didn't say he was lied TO. He said he told the server it was wonderful....(he fibbed!)....:D

ahhh... I see. I did misread. (still, I'd like to know what they got)

But nice to know they gave them extra courses. Always a bounus in my book, even if I doesn't wow me. :)

But nice to know they gave them extra courses. Always a bounus in my book, even if I doesn't wow me. :)

They aren't courses ;) They are bitesize little snacks :D Very tiny... but I found them quite tasty!

The only thing I don't understand about your review is the part about "the lies" when you were presented with extra courses. It sounds like they started with an amuse-bouche. Pretty standard at a true fine dining place. (in fact, it would be odd NOT to get one). The other extra courses sound like a nice touch, too. How exactly were you being lied to?

I'm just curious about this. I was going to ask if there were additional items beyond what was actually printed on the menu (like an amuse or a sorbet course to cleanse the pallete)

Re-read my post. We were the ones that lied. We told the waitress that we enjoyed what they brought out. We didn't. The point that I was trying to get across which you obviously missed is that not all people are accustomed to "true fine dining places". I have no idea what an amuse-bouche is and probably wouldn't like it, much less be able to pronounce it. Seeing how you were going to ask but didn't about the amuse or sorbet, seeing how I don't even know what an amuse is, I would tell you that I can't remember but I won't.

Thank you to the posters that stood up for me in the fact that it was us that lied. We never gave it a thought that the chef was actually looking for opinions. We just "lied" to be polite. That's the way we were brought up.

As for the dress code, when we signed up for our meal, we were told that the code was jacket and ties for me, dresses for women. As for the elevators, we found out about them after the meal. Just our luck. It really wasn't a bad experience. Just something that we can now say we've done and more than likely will never do again. As I said in my earlier post, everybody should at least give it a try. You may find that you truely enjoy it and would want to do it again.

I would never condemn anyone for enjoying the supper clubs and I see no reason for anyone to condemn people who don't choose to dine there. It's all a matter of personal preference. I shall now fall down off my box of Tide that I bought at WalMart.

Re-read my post. We were the ones that lied. We told the waitress that we enjoyed what they brought out. We didn't. The point that I was trying to get across which you obviously missed is that not all people are accustomed to "true fine dining places". I have no idea what an amuse-bouche is and probably wouldn't like it, much less be able to pronounce it. Seeing how you were going to ask but didn't about the amuse or sorbet, seeing how I don't even know what an amuse is, I would tell you that I can't remember but I won't.

After it was pointed out by another poster, I finally understood that you lied. Sorry for missing that point at first.

But why lie? If you told them you didn't like it, maybe they would have brought you something different that you would have enjoyed.

An amuse-bouche is fancy french for a small bite of food given before a meal. Many people don't know what it is, don't worry. It's basically an appetizer, but a very small appetizer (think one tiny itty bitty serving :p) These small morsels are generally served before meals, and they are a sampling of the chef's "style" if you will...

What they offer in the supper club is not necessarily an amuse-bouche. They bring out several of these little morsels throughout the night... they give one to each person at the table. I think once we had a small bit of sushi? They were each very good. After dessert, we were brought a small truffle (think gumball, LOL)

But why lie? If you told them you didn't like it, maybe they would have brought you something different that you would have enjoyed.

We lied to be polite. I would never tell a person that invited me to dinner that their food tasted horrible or that I didn't like it. That's just me. As for them bringing me something different, I went there for a meal, not to be a guinea pig for a chef to try out their different concoctions/experiments. To be honest, it was embarrasing for us because we had never been exposed to this type of food. We didn't want to make fools of ourselves by not even knowing how to eat it. (How do you eat something served on a table spoon with a bent handle?)

An amuse-bouche is fancy french for a small bite of food given before a meal. Many people don't know what it is, don't worry. It's basically an appetizer, but a very small appetizer (think one tiny itty bitty serving :p) These small morsels are generally served before meals, and they are a sampling of the chef's "style" if you will...

What they offer in the supper club is not necessarily an amuse-bouche. They bring out several of these little morsels throughout the night... they give one to each person at the table. I think once we had a small bit of sushi? They were each very good. After dessert, we were brought a small truffle (think gumball, LOL)

I guess I would call any small, little bite of food at the very start an amuse. Not sure what they are called in the middle, though, but I suppose there is some term. :) Any sort of truffle, petis four, etc. presented at the very end, after the regular dessert(s), and frequently with the check are usually known as "mignardises"

Anyway, I'm fairly impressed by this. I didn't get anything like that in the specialty restaurants on the NCL Star. It was just the items selected from the menu. Kudos to Carnival. I really ought to book another cruise. :)

To be honest, it was embarrasing for us because we had never been exposed to this type of food. We didn't want to make fools of ourselves by not even knowing how to eat it. (How do you eat something served on a table spoon with a bent handle?)

You just pick up the spoon by the bent handle and slide it into your mouth.

Hi All-

I just want to know if there is a general area where one can see the menus for the Supper clubs and that would do me just fine and dandy. *smiles*:D

Peace, love and Margaritas People!

tahiti

Just do a search, it has been posted several times and should be easy to find!!! Good luck!

:D Maybe business was slow?:D

I don't think so, it seems to be standard practice on all of their shops from what I could tell before leaving. Also, the extra charge was $15-25. However, I'm sure their prices on other items onboard were higher than Carnival's. They all seem to find a way to make money!!:eek:

We got a salmon mouse creation, and a portabello mushroom creation, they were delicious!!! The little desert bites they sent out I didn't care for, but you know what? I had just had a magnificent triple chocolate thing, have you ever watched the Iron Chef America? food is plated like that. the Chocolate Bitter or something like that was actually a triple (small dishes) of a warm dark chocolate creation, a small tiramisu and a chocolate mouse with fresh raspberries. It was awesome.

The porterhouse my husband got was fork tender and perfect, my lamb was absolutely heaven. I was terribly impressed and pretty sure that the money paid maybe supports the food purchased, I don't think they make a profit.

If you're a true foodie and truly enjoy a great meal, this is for you, and I bet you will be wowed. If your not picky about food ( such as being perfectly happy to graze in the cafeteria) then you should skip it.

Archived