Booking hassle

Cruiser_Rich

Booked a cruise with a top name travel agent for the Triumph October 28th and we will be arriving in Miami one day early. Our agency informed us that we need to book a hotel room only with hotels that Carnival deals with or we will lose our airport transfers. The least expensive one is the Hyatt at $50/pp, extra $150 :mad: .

I’m sure the Hyatt is a very nice hotel as they all are, my question is has anyone here heard of this procedure and is there any way around it. I know I can get the Holiday in at a better rate than $150.00, but I would have to pay for airport transfers.

Any comments on this particular Hyatt, and the area it's located in.

As far as I know this is Carnival's policy. Maybe you can book your own airfare and hotel and then take a cab to the ship. I am not familiar with Miami area but you can search the boards and get help that way. Hope this helps.

Robb

Yes, why would Carnival provide you free transfers if you didn't book a hotel included in one of their pre-cruise packages? Remember, the pier is in the heart of downtown, so if you stay anywhere near there (Grove, South Beach, Coral Gables) a cab is not going to cost you very much.

Actually this is true of most cruise lines. This is because the large busses that transfer you from the airport to your hotel, hotel to the port, and back to the airport at the end of your cruise only go to the hotels that are on the cruise lines list. Otherwise they would be driving all over town picking people up.

When you buy your air from the cruise lines they often include the airport transfers but in most cases the transfer to the hotel is only included if you get the hotel from them.

Booked a cruise with a top name travel agent for the Triumph October 28th and we will be arriving in Miami one day early. Our agency informed us that we need to book a hotel room only with hotels that Carnival deals with or we will lose our airport transfers. The least expensive one is the Hyatt at $50/pp, extra $150 :mad: .

I’m sure the Hyatt is a very nice hotel as they all are, my question is has anyone here heard of this procedure and is there any way around it. I know I can get the Holiday in at a better rate than $150.00, but I would have to pay for airport transfers.

Any comments on this particular Hyatt, and the area it's located in.

Cab from the airport to HI is about $30, plus tip (At least it was in May).

Cab from HI to port is less than $10, plus tip. Total seems to me to be less than Carnival transfers so I'd just forget the transfers and go on your own, it is also much faster because you do not have to wait for the bus to fill up.

I've gotten the Miami downtown hotel on Priceline for $55.00 per nite, per room. Not pp. Just bid downtown THREE stars and you will get a similar hotel. Cruise air and hotels are a big profit center for the cruiselines.

Yes, why would Carnival provide you free transfers if you didn't book a hotel included in one of their pre-cruise packages? Remember, the pier is in the heart of downtown, so if you stay anywhere near there (Grove, South Beach, Coral Gables) a cab is not going to cost you very much.

Never been there before, is the Hyatt in this area too??

If I surrender the airport transfer no money is refunded, so although the cab fares are cheaper I still need to add more spending $$$$. Obviously if I save staying at a lesser expensive hotel I can make up the difference, but I don't want to be too far away from port.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. There are some pics of the Hyatt in my signature. I'm sure you could probably find something lower. Hyatt is there, Holiday Inn is there, as well as Radisson. Radisson is probably higher in price. We have about decided to book our own for our next trip so we don't have to wait for the shuttles to fill up. Whatever you decide to do, have fun & enjoy your cruise. Oh, and one more thing. If you decide to be at the Hyatt, go to Bayside to eat. The restaurant in the Hyatt charges $10 for a burger that imho is not "all that". Bayside has plenty to do, I promise you will not be bored there, we loved it!

Check Carnival's website; you can buy transfers separately..looks like Miami airport to Port is $12.00 each way.

Yes you can, but the OP is coming in the day before. As such Carnival provides the transfers from the airport to the hotel which you cannot purchase seperately.

IMHO, if the Hyatt was $150 and the HI was $100, I would pay the extra $50 and stay at the Hyatt.

After researching on various sites I've decide to stay the Hyatt, our price is $150, their web site minimum is $250. I'll maintain my transfers and only have to grab a cab to the port on Saturday a.m.

For those knowing the area is this hotel in an location with things to do within walking distance. We're only here for one night, not looking for anything elaborate just killing an evening. I've read about the market place but there will be plenty of that on the cruise port o calls. Traveling with spouse and 15 year old daughter.

Yes you can, but the OP is coming in the day before. As such Carnival provides the transfers from the airport to the hotel which you cannot purchase seperately.

IMHO, if the Hyatt was $150 and the HI was $100, I would pay the extra $50 and stay at the Hyatt.

Well now, if I could just read...........:o

Hi All-

I along with my boyfriend are flying in a day early- I booked myself through AirTran since they had a special last night. When we arrive we are staying at a hotel near the airport that provides shuttle service (which we did on our own) for 65.00 a night- *with breakfast* for the both of us.. On cruise day we are taking the hotel shuttle *back* to the airport and buying our Carnival Shuttle tickets at the airport. if by chance something goes awry, I have 3 other shuttles listed that pick up at the airport and goes to the port.

Btw- this is for Port Canaveral.

Cruiser Rich, can you not go this type of route?

tahiti

Tahiti, as I understand it the Miami airport is only 9 miles from the cruise port, and the Hyatt is only 3 so not much difference. I did not check out prices near the airport. In your case port canaveral is nearly an hour drive from port. Not sure if I answered you question, too busy looking at the hula dancer:p .

Tis Okay for staring. :p

I think someone suggested a cab...Take a cab if you are that close and stay at the Motel 6...They will keep the light on for you. :D Then again I am not knowing your circumstances so I am probably reeking in the advice department right about now.

6 days for me to go.

Hope you work it all out dear.

tahiti

After researching on various sites I've decide to stay the Hyatt, our price is $150, their web site minimum is $250. I'll maintain my transfers and only have to grab a cab to the port on Saturday a.m.

For those knowing the area is this hotel in an location with things to do within walking distance. We're only here for one night, not looking for anything elaborate just killing an evening. I've read about the market place but there will be plenty of that on the cruise port o calls. Traveling with spouse and 15 year old daughter.

If you are taking their hotel for a pre-cruise package and they are doing the air, it should include three transfers. You should get airport to hotel, hotel to pier and pier to airport.

They Hyatt is in downtown and for the most part, a business hotel Sunday through Friday. Besides Bayside Marketplace, where you can shop, eat (chain and local) and be entertained, you can take a taxi to South Beach. You can take in the sights (and I do mean sights) while walking Ocean Drive, stop and have dinner in one of the many restaurants that have tables on the sidewalk as well as indoors. There is also Coconut Grove (taxi again) where you can walk around, eat and take in some entertainment.

Archived