Ponta Delgado Portugal

My transatlantic cruise in April 2007 from Houston to Dover makes stops in Bermuda, Ponta Delgado, Cork(Ireland) , Dublin and LeHavre. I have seen posts on everwhere but Ponta Delgado. Has anyone here been there? Any good excursions or sights I must see?

We were on Voyager for the May 2006 transatlantic. We used Ricardo for a tour.

http://www.amazingtours.se/

He is amazing! It was rainy when we docked, so he took us to the sunny side of the island. Let a ship tour do that! Then as parts of the island got sunnier, we went to them. The Azores are a lot like Hawaii. Very beautiful.

we used www.amazingtours.se when we stop in Ponta Delgado, May of this year. ricardo amorim was excellent, we were able to see the pineapple plantation, tried some pineapple liqueur, went to a tea plantation, liqueur factory were they make it and to the Village of Furnas, to see the bubbling hot mud and were they cook the food in the ground for 5-6 hours.they were 4 of us, he was the best value for the euro of all the tours we took, on our transatlantic crossing.he has some set tours or just tell him what you want to see, as he is very accommodating.we gladly use him again if in ponta delgado.we were on the norwergian jewel may-6-2006

hope this helps.

martin

transplant320@hotmail.com

the azores are portugals hawaii! the british love them also. we were there recently and rented a car for the day. drove up to twin lakes then over to other side of the island, went to the liquor factory, then drove up to the absolute top of fire lake above the clouds. we didnt follow the road but took a local that was steep with no turnouts, signs, dividers, railings, etc. harrowing but straight down and back to town to drop off the car. a great day.

I am presently in the Azores right now visiting with family (Island of Santa Maria). I stayed in Ponta Delgada last week for 3 days. Sao Miguel (the island) is the most beautiful place to visit!! There is so much natural beauty to see. You can take a tour or use a taxi to visit any of the sites. The weather here is great. I think you will be presently surprised as to how much you will enjoy Ponta Delgada.

• 4 weeks later...

We were there in April. One of our favorite stops. I've read here and elsewhere about tours outside the ciy and I'm sure they are great. We stayed in town and enjoyed ourselves..and had some 'self-inflicted' woes but more on that at the end.

We took the 'free' shuttle from the ship to the port entrance. You are then 'downtown'. Right across the street and up a few doors is a very nice church. We stopped there. Then we decided to go for the trolley-like bus tour mentioned by the spokesperson on the bus. We did the tour which went to several gardens which was very nice...around $10 pp and 1 hour+. They had 3 different tours if I remember correctly and we just went for the one that was next...plus we like gardens anyway. The place for these tours is to the right of the port gates and about 2 blocks down on the other side of the street.

On our way to the tour stop we had passed an office building that had an ATM in the lobby. We decided to stop in there and get some euros...the machine worked fine..the user didn't. I asked for euros and while I reading what it said I should do or didn't do, it ate my card!!! I walked into the office across the hall and, knowing they weren't the bank, asked how they thought I could get hold of someone to help us. She was so nice!! She went to the back, made a couple of calls and said someone from the bank would meet us there in 1 hour. We went for a little walk (still on this street that runs parallel to the water) and came across a 'square' that had underground public restrooms. I was a little leery but it was actually very clean and even had TP. No attendant or 'cup' was in sight and so I kept the change I had ready in my pocket. Along this same square was an outdoor cafe where we passed some time over coffee. We then went back to the ATM maching and, as promised, a bank employee showed up at the appointed hour and retrieved our card and watched over us as we successfully tried again.

The weather was perfect so we walked a little more and then returned to the ship via the same port bus which ran regularly.

We had a lovely day..ATM problems and all!

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

We will be going for the second time there in April ! We do not plan to take an excursion nor book a tour ahead of time because of the weather !

The last time we were there , it rained for two hours in the morning and the people who took the excursions to the mountains were disappointed because visibilty was quite limited

We will get there , then hire a cab (after bargaining) if the weather is nice ! If not we will stay in town

Archived