Cruise terminal to Eden Rock?

Middleager

It looks like a short distance on the map, but if anyone has walked from the cruise terminal to Eden Rock (the shore diving/snorkeling place), how many minutes does it take?

From Eden Rock while shore snorkeling, can you see the cruise terminal? (Supposed to be able to see the cruise ships at sea)

Thanks.

question two

realizing there is no 'terminal' in GC, but from Eden Rock you can easily see where the tenders come in.

Question one

so the 200 yard figure is the time to walk from the tender landing to the Eden Rock dive shop. but if you are figuring the time to depart the ship, know that you will be tendered in, and there can be a bit of delay getting off because of that.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/Maps.htm

http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=grand+cayman&ie=UTF8&ll=19.293423,-81.383554&spn=0.004749,0.010128&t=k&om=1

question two

realizing there is no 'terminal' in GC, but from Eden Rock you can easily see where the tenders come in.

Question one

so the 200 yard figure is the time to walk from the tender landing to the Eden Rock dive shop. but if you are figuring the time to depart the ship, know that you will be tendered in, and there can be a bit of delay getting off because of that.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/Maps.htm

http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=grand+cayman&ie=UTF8&ll=19.293423,-81.383554&spn=0.004749,0.010128&t=k&om=1

Thanks zydecocruiser and Capt_BJ.

We are going to snorkel at Eden Rock. If we see a long lineup for tender at 2pm, then we know we won't need to run. I know, I know, don't want to miss getting back on the ship, but if there were 1,200 people lining up at 2pm....

Capt_BJ, that's a really neat link to Cayman. I've seen the satellite view to many address and they are great. But how did you do the search to start with? I'd like to try that for the other ports too (Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya).

Capt_BJ, that's a really neat link to Cayman. I've seen the satellite view to many address and they are great. But how did you do the search to start with? I'd like to try that for the other ports too (Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya).

I just entered 'grand cayman' into the google search field, but clicked MAPS rather than the default Google Web Search. When it comes up the maps application defaults to MAP mode, and there is none....but then I clicked Satellite ...... tadaaaaa :D

I did not use Google Earth - but it should work too

here's Coz' http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=cozumel,+mx&ie=UTF8&ll=20.509716,-86.953504&spn=0.006512,0.016415&t=k&om=0

• 1 month later...

Has anyone snorkeled here before? My husband and I are considering to a snorkel dive here, but don't really know how good it is? Can you see marine life? Please advise.

Susan and Jonathan Tyler:rolleyes:

I think it is one of the best shore snorkel areas on the Island,

When you get off the tender, walk down the street to your right, like everyone else said, just a 2 or 3 minute walk, there are lounge chairs and a little resturant also.

Many people snorkel here. When we were there on Sept. 1, the Eden Rock dive center was closed. Nobody there. I walked back (toward the terminal) and about 80-100' later came upon the Paradise Restaurant. The Abanks Dive op has a stand there.

It is from here many people walked down and snorkel. You can rent snorkel or dive equipment from Abanks. I rented and dove there. My buddy was also from the ship, came looking for a dive buddy, and we had a very good dive. Lots of fish. Need to swim further away to see some half decent coral reef. On the way back was surrounded by about seven big tarpoons, about 3'-4' each.

Hey "Z", I found you over here too! WHat awesome pictures. You really gave the feel of what to expect....and your humor is delightful. I am having such a hard time making up my mind. I really kind of wanted more of a beach with chairs, shade and a place to be able to get food, but still be able to snorkle. It looked like you swam out quite far. Did you wear a vest? What kind of a camera did you use for those underwater pictures? Obviously not one of those cheapo disposables. :)

Thank you. Cemetery Beach is supposed to be decent and great snorkeling, but no facilities. Think that is on my list for next time. It is at the north end of SMB.

A lot of people split their time up - snorkel first and then beach it (or vice versa).

There are trips that combine Stingray Sandbar, a snorkel, and Rum Point, but you are stil going to multiple locations.

Hey "Z"' date=' I found you over here too! WHat awesome pictures. You really gave the feel of what to expect....and your humor is delightful. I am having such a hard time making up my mind. I really kind of wanted more of a beach with chairs, shade and a place to be able to get food, but still be able to snorkle. It looked like you swam out quite far. Did you wear a vest? What kind of a camera did you use for those underwater pictures? Obviously not one of those cheapo disposables. :)[/quote']

There are lots of fish, including the huge tarpon, near the shore (do ya think they feed them?).

I perhaps swam out farther than many, but still there were others in the area. The better coral is a bit offshore, but you don't have to.

I bring my own snorekl equipment and have a snorkel vest, but usually don't wear unless the water is rough or I think I may be going way out of sight of others. Have yet to wear it in Grand Cayman.

Camera is a Canon s1 is with optional waterproof case.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as they are comfortable around water, I'd say go for it. Whole families do go out at Eden Rock. There are fish as soon as you get in the water. Lots of parrot fish. It is also where the huge tarpon hang out waiting for the restaurant to feed them.

If you want the coral reef you need to go out farther, but most of the fish are nearer the shore.

Archived