How many outfits? Shoes?

Buggy

I'm an overpacker - I admit it. We've started carrying a suitcase just for shoes (family of 4). On my last cruise, I brought 12 pairs of shoes (including flipflops) for 5 nights. This was an improvement from 17 pairs for a 7 night crise last August. I bring 8-9 evening outfits so that I'm covered if I change my mind and don't want to wear something. If I could find anywhere to cut it down, it would be daytime clothing. I usually bring 8-9 day outfits, but I stay in a bathing suit and coverup on sea days. Oh, and I bring 3 cover ups and 4 bathing suits (not included in my day outfits). I do not bring purses - I don't like to carry them around. Hubby and I bicker while packing about what I'm bringing, but, after 20 years, he should be used to me!;) REALLY....bring what makes you happy and have a great time!

I have to chime in on the less is better side of this discussion. On our first cruise, my wife and I had 3 or 4 suitcases (checked baggage) and 2 carry-ons. Of course we were running late getting to the airport, plus we went down the day before (providing me with another opportunity to relocate half our wardrobe). I think I can speak for all the DHs that hauling all that luggage from airport, to car rental, to hotel, etc., etc. is not the way to start a relaxing vacation.

There were several things that I didn't wear. And guys, don't forget to factor in those t-shirts that you have to buy to wear home. (one less thing to pack!) :)

Maybe DH will be more forgiving if my 6 pairs of shoes for our next cruise! I only bring sneaker/hiker, 2 pr casual sandals, 2 pr dressy sandals and dance shoes. Lucky for me, my feet are small. My shoes usually fit inside DH's shoes, saving room in the suitcase. Clothes are another matter. I tend to overpack on clothes. Very few things mix and match. It just works that way when I go shopping.;)

I am such an overpacker! On my first cruise this past March I took my big suitcase and checked another bag of shoes. Never again will I take two suitcases. I will tell you that I did the lay everything out then took some away method and it helped me. I honestly didn't wear all the shoes I brought. I think I ended up wearing my sneakers on the plane, I packed two pair black flip flops (pool ones and 'nicer' ones), white flip flops, dress shoes for formal night, and sandals that matched every outfit. I avoided packing anything brown and brought no brown shoes. If you are an overpacker I suggest choosing a color scheme or two so everything will match the shoes you bring and such (I chose lots of blacks, greens and whites). Enjoy your cruise and take what you are able to! I can't wait to book another cruise so I can think about what to pack and do some shopping :D

I am trying to avoid taking two suitcases- but we have this really HUGE one (which I would love to take) but last time I filled it up we were over the weight limit - and I had to 'offload' right there at the airport into another piece of luggage!

So I guess I shall need to take two? (one regular piece - maybe not the BIGGEST ONE? and one rolling garment bag) and hope that those will work!

I create a packing list and try to stick to it! I do a table with days of week along top indicating whether it's a port or seaday - with two rows - daytime and evening.

The daytime row is generally the same: shorts/t-shirt (I take 2 pairs of shorts - one black, one white and mix/match ts) or bathing suit/coverup.

For evenings I enter the outfits I plan to wear (including shoes/accessories) so I don't forget anything. I start with the 2 formal nights - then add in the rest of the evening wear (smart casual). I do have several pairs of black slinky type pants (very easy to pack) and a black slinky 'cardigan' (think citi-knits) which go great with several different dressy tank tops (these don't wrinkle and take up no room!).

I usually do end up taking too much of course (so far up to 5 pairs of shoes for upcoming cruise) but will try to limit myself as I don't want to pay any surcharges for my luggage!

Froufie:cool:

Buggy,

You have clearly over shopped for this cruise. Take some of that stuff back and bring the money with you on the cruise. If you paid in credit, still take it back and you won't have stress from the bills after the cruise.

I have never been on a cruise (as you know), but if you have to ship your shoes, it sounds excessive. And, you will make the rest of us look bad on the cruise because I plan to repeat/recycle my outfits.

All you really need is a few flip flops, your cocktail dress, the hammer pants, a few shorts/tops and a couple of bathing suits. Exercise?? - who are you kidding. One black and one brown OR gold pair of sandals. Maybe a pair of white sandals, if you're into white shoes.

Listen to these good people. They sound like they know what they're talking about.

Look forward to seeing you on NOS 8/12/06.

Mel

This is taken directly out of my cruise review from my week on the Explorer in January 05. I really thought I had packed well but I still had way too much. I counted this up so I'd know exactly what I had worn for future use.

Packing – I WAY overpacked. My advice to anyone would be to pack and then take out at least 50% of what you packed. I mainly overpacked for daytime clothes. I wore all of my outfits for dinner – 2 formals, 2 sundresses and 1 pair black capris with 2 different dressy tops. I wore all 4 of the bathing suits that I brought (one was a old suit worn only for cave tubing in Belize) along with 3 different cover-ups. Otherwise, during the week I wore 3 pairs of shorts (could have easily used only 2), 4 t-shirts and 2 tank-tops. I probably brought home more clean clothes than dirty ones.

Do the things packed change dependant on the destination? I was reading the RCCL site and it seems to indicate different attire depending on the destination? For example: Europe is Country Club casual attire where as Carribean is more casual?

Diana

Do the things packed change dependant on the destination? I was reading the RCCL site and it seems to indicate different attire depending on the destination? For example: Europe is Country Club casual attire where as Carribean is more casual?

Diana

Of course :) Certain routes and cruise lines differ in attire. For example, shorts were mentioned plenty of times here but if you're going to Alaska or Europe, you might want to trade shorts for slacks.

Back to topic: Is there a problem with overpacking? I, for one, am a light packer, and enjoy the challenges of figuring out which clothes will work for an entire week. Others here firmly believe that you should enjoy all those outfits and shoes. If you're willing to be an overpacker, ship the shoes, beg a favor (asking someone to cart your shoes around is a favor), and pay overage at the airline baggage check-in counter, then by all means pack whatever you want! Enjoy the way you like to travel and how cruises afford you the opportunity to bring lots of outfits and shoes. If you're looking at your packing list in doubt and wondering if you've gone off the deep end, perhaps it is time to return a few of those outfits and take a few less pairs of shoes.

I'll admit it...I'm an overpacker. I like having choices and not having to wear something that I've brought a trip because it's the only thing left.

For my cruise, to curb my overpacking instincts, I made a day by day list of clothing that depended on what we were doing that day (water excursion, etc, formal night, etc...) Then I didn't forget anything, still had plenty of choice but not my entire closet and knew I had appropriate clothing and accessories for each day's activities.

I've never done a 7 day cruise - only 14 day - and this time we're on a 21 day.

However, I always bring lots of outfits (including shoes) because to me that's part of the pleasure of the holiday. I can't bear to keep on wearing the same tops/shorts etc even if they've been laundered. I just like to have something different every time. It's probably an obsession - I'm just the same on a land based holiday.

I've never had trouble fitting it all in my luggage and this time I'll be able to bring more because we're flying across the Atlantic with British Airways and they allow TWO bags per person in the hold! Wonderful!!

So I say, if you want to bring it - then do!!

I'm really TRYING to keep the number of shoes down but since

we are doing New England/Canada cruise and could run into

cooler, rainy weather wondering what shoes you pack for that?

Also, spending 3 additional nights in Montreal. Right now I have all

sandal type shoes and tennis shoes which I figure I could

wear daytime if it's wet. But evening in Montreal if it's raining?

Archived