caribbean princess ?

zoe girl

can't decide between the riveria or baja floors. we want to get a balony however i can't decide if we should get a roll away or use the bunk bed for the third guest. my mom has a think about the bunk although she won't be sleeping on it.

A balcony cabin is not large, the only added area from an oceanview room is the balcony itself. I think I'd go w/ a mini suite unless you don't mind using the bunk. I'd do a search on these boards for bunk info.

I'd choose Baja because Riviera is under the Lido deck w/ many busy public areas - pool, buffet.

A balcony cabin is not large, the only added area from an oceanview room is the balcony itself. I think I'd go w/ a mini suite unless you don't mind using the bunk. I'd do a search on these boards for bunk info.

I'd choose Baja because Riviera is under the Lido deck w/ many busy public areas - pool, buffet.

We like the minisuites too - but be careful - the Dolphin deck mini's are completely in the sun with no shade. If you want some shade, pick a balcony cabin on Caribe for the bigger balcony or another deck for fully covered. There are tons of photos on the internet of the CB to help you figure this out. http://www.princessshutter.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=2 is a good one showing the balcony configurations.

With a roll away in a balcony cabin, think wall to wall beds, as that is about what you will get. There just isn't much extra space for a roll away unless it is placed directly in front of the balcony door. That is the only available area to put the roll a way.

If a bunk can not be used, then definitely pay the extra and go with a mini suite, you won't be sorry at all.

The other thing is you actually spend very little time in your cabin. Get the lowest priced cabin that will suit your needs. If you are in the cabin, you are either sleeping or showering or hanging out on the deck. There really is not much of any other reason to spend all your cruise time there. So, get whatever is cheaper and spend your money on other cruise pleasures.

I would recommend the Baja deck over the Riviera. The higher you get the more ship sway you get.

The other thing is you actually spend very little time in your cabin. Get the lowest priced cabin that will suit your needs. If you are in the cabin, you are either sleeping or showering or hanging out on the deck. There really is not much of any other reason to spend all your cruise time there. So, get whatever is cheaper and spend your money on other cruise pleasures.

I really couldn't agree with you more. The only time I spend in my room is for sleeping/napping, changing, and showering. However, I feel that a room does matter when going on certain cruises such as Alaska and Panama Canal. But hey thats just my .02 cents !

I always read posts where people say the only time anyone's in their stateroom is to sleep, shower, or change. But, it's really a matter of personal choice. We actually spend quite a bit of time in our stateroom...we enjoy the privacy and quiet. Because of that, we've booked balconies for all but our first cruise.

To each his own...

:D

The last time we were on the Caribbean Princess our stateroom was on the Riviera deck. It was a great location, R330, but we did have to contend with lots of noise from the Lido deck. I was a bit surprised at how much noise we heard from the deck furniture being dragged across the floor, or the music from pool area.

Nonetheless, we had a great time, but I think I would make sure that I get a more forward cabin on that deck.

Next month I booked the family on the Aloha deck. The kids can live with an extra flight of stairs!!!!

Rich a.k.a.

We were in room 329 on the Riviera deck and got woken up early and could not even take quick afternoon naps due to the scraping of the chairs on the Lido deck above and the music of the band by the pool. I wouldn't choose that deck again.

We have only been on one cruise, we had a fully obstructed OV on the CB, Emerald deck E627. Great cabin, and not fully obstructed b/c you could see between the lifeboats. For our 2nd cruise, we splurged for the balcony cabin. We could have saved $330 and gotten an inside or ocean view, but I really liked the idea of our own balcony. I hope that $330 is worth it and that we do spend some time on it. I picture us on our balcony enjoying continental breakfast and star gazing late at night in our pjs.

I have heard that you get terrific sleep in an inside cabin. An adorable young couple in an inside cabin said they had never slept so much! I told them I had read on CC that w/ an inside cabin you should put the TV to the bridge cam channel and leave the sound off. That way you know when it's daylight. They did that and the next day reported that it worked!

Have you thought of booking an inside cabin across from the balcony. I know at least with our cruise-it cost almost as much for our daughter to be in our room as if she had booked an inside with someone else-if we had gotten the MIL to go-they would have shared a cabin and that was what we planned- We would have the balcony, they would have an inside-but ofcourse we would have allowed them to visit and enjoy our balcony!

We did our best to encourage the MIL to come- we told her she would love having morning coffee with us on our balcony-we could not get her to leave her dog for a week. she loves that dog.

Anyway before I would book a suite-I would book a balcony and an inside-you get two bathrooms that way.

I thought of that too, but then the single supplement can make it the same price. Still, if it were the same price, it would still be much nicer for privacy's sake and the extra bathroom.

Good thinking momofmeg! :)

I thought of that too, but then the single supplement can make it the same price. Still, if it were the same price, it would still be much nicer for privacy's sake and the extra bathroom.

Good thinking momofmeg! :)

Oh so you only have 3? If that is the case I would opt for the berth. That is what we have booked-our daughter will sleep in the berth-that is unless we can talk Grandma into leaving her dog for a week!

we have a balcony stateroom on the aloha deck.

hows the caribe deck. they are holding it until tomorrow. we'll have 3 adults.

I really don't know. this is the first cruise for me on this clas of ship. i do think that deck is lower but tha tis not necesarily bad-the higher decks are closer to the lido but the lower decks to the main dinning.

when it gets down to it-I have always liked it best when I was on the mid decks of a ship-then I was about the same distance from everything. but as far as the staterooms there is little differance in a balcony I don't think from one deck to another-you would have to book a balcony in a higher catagory then the basic I think for it to be better.

hows the caribe deck. they are holding it until tomorrow. we'll have 3 adults.

We cruised June 24th on CB. First cruise for our group. We had 6 on the Caribe - 403, 407, 411, 415 (inside), 409, 114 (balconies) and 2 on Dolphin 517, 529. Caribe deck is great - quiet and central to up and down. We were all fit and used the stairs quite often. Caribe Balconies are the best deal on the boat - half covered, half open, double the size of other balconies.

Inside cabins with a berth will feel like a very small room at night when they drop the berth. Balcony rooms are almost identical except the queen bed was along the side wall. Never saw a balcony room with a berth. The balcony room set up with a queen felt much roomier than our inside with a queen. If you have the balcony there is the extra breathing space of the larger balcony on Carib.

My hubby and I opted for an inside, with our boys next door inside. For a 7 day cruise with 4 sea days, I will in the future opt for a balcony. We used our room in the mornings and evenings before dinner ... would have been nice to have had the balcony to enjoy. Imagine ... room service on your own balcony, any time, any day. Room service was great for our teenage boys - they loved just calling for room service anytime. But for us, the inside cabin wasn't a place to lounge and enjoy.

BTW, if you don't have the balcony go to very back of the Lido deck for departures from the islands. Great view from the back bar/pool area. There is an adults only pool below. Our kids sat with us (drinking mocktails) on the Lido deck bar stools during departures. You can also eat out there on the Lido Deck. Departing from St. Maarten it was raining. We went up to Skywalkers in the upper deck, not serving during daytime. It was almost empty and has 360 views. Glass is tinted and the rain water was pouring down the sides, but still great location.

HI, I upgraded to a balcony and was given midship Riviera. The good thing is, it is fully covered (read: more private). BUt then I kept reading how much noise there is from the Lido deck right above (music, scraping of lounge chairs across deck in early morning, etc). So I called to get a change and got a CARIBE Balcony. Although it is more AFT on the ship (i.e. maybe more motion), it is away from the Lido deck. Also the Caribe balconies are supposedly bigger and are half covered (versus totally exposed on most decks). We went with Caribe.:p

Good choice on the Caribe! Caribe deck is usually considered the prime deck on most Princess ships.

I also agree with an earlier poster who stated there are certain times a balcony is necessary. Always get a balcony your first trip to Alaska and your first trip through the Panama Canal. Pulling into some of the other ports are wonderful with a balcony also. I love to have breakfast on my balcony and dock at St. Thomas for instance. But, if it is a choice between balcony and maybe doing something you always wanted (like walking on a glacier), then the inside and oceanview rooms will offer you that opportunity.

I alternate types of cabins depending upon available booking prices at the time I want to cruise. That way, I can sometimes take 2 cruises if I book inside cabins, rather than just 1 cruise with a balcony or mini-suite. It depends a lot on whether or not I have been to that itinerary before. However, I spend a great deal of time out of my cabin!

We just got back on CB and had balcony rooms, midship Baja deck. One room with 2, one with 3 (bunk). The bunk was not bad at all and we enjoyed the balcony...reading, cocktails, breakfast. The decks below us, Caribe and Dolphin were fully exposed and we could see everything going on below. No privacy or shade there so be careful. Baja level was good for us, 4 decks above the promenade and 4 below the pools. We used the stairs most of the time. Hope this helps.

can't decide between the riveria or baja floors. we want to get a balony however i can't decide if we should get a roll away or use the bunk bed for the third guest. my mom has a think about the bunk although she won't be sleeping on it.

We were on CB 2 weeks ago. We had 5 rooms 3 balconys with 2 inside across the hall. We were R 219 and we never heard a noise from any one. The Balcony's in this area are covered if you look down you can see the balcony's of 2 decks below. :)

Ockelly -

I turned down an upgrade. I wanted to keep my Baja midship cabin instead of accepting a forward Caribe cabin....Long walk to the dining....and all....

Which stateroom were you in? How was midship?

Was it convenient?

We just got back on CB and had balcony rooms, midship Baja deck. One room with 2, one with 3 (bunk). The bunk was not bad at all and we enjoyed the balcony...reading, cocktails, breakfast. The decks below us, Caribe and Dolphin were fully exposed and we could see everything going on below. No privacy or shade there so be careful. Baja level was good for us, 4 decks above the promenade and 4 below the pools. We used the stairs most of the time. Hope this helps.

Slight correction ... Caribe balconies are half covered (not visible to the balconies above) and half open. Caribe balconies are DOUBLE the length of balconies above. Usually set up with 4 chairs and a table.

Dolphin balconies are the same length as Caribe balconies, but totally exposed. These are all mini-suite rooms = extra$$

Archived