royal caribbean vs. princess ?

zoe girl

You know guys- I thought the OP wanted you to compare SHIPS and not lines-

Has anyone been on both Naviagtor of the Seas and Caribbean Princess. This is who the OP wants to hear from.

I've sailed both the Crown and the Mariner. Those are sister ships. Think I'm qualified to answer.

I have been on several of the cruise lines and still like Princess the best. I

am sailing on the new Crown in November. I think the entertainmnet is much better on Princess and we always had a few different choices for the evening. I was on the Enchantment during Easter week (will never, ever do that again, wayyyyy tooo many kids) the ship was nice but the

beds were very hard and lumpy. We booked only 6 weeks out so there

were no suites available. I was not real impressed with the food in the

WJ cafe and did not like the fact that everyone had to wait until 6:30 pm

for the doors to open for dinner.

For all who questioned this

......Have you sailed RCI?..."how many" Royal Caribbean cruises?.....what you didn't like about RCI

Majesty of the Sea

Nordic Empress

Enchantment of the Seas

I just answered the question....royal caribbean vs. princess ? Princess....because the quality of food, pleasant crew, and decor of ship....

Nliedel, I don't list my past cruises in my signature line, because the list is too long. I agree, I only list the ship/line I like now....

And you base this judgment on "how many" Royal Caribbean cruises?

Just for the record, I would pick Princess as well and I’ve sailed RCI no times. I realize that the original post implies that the poster is looking for experience, but the post does not indicate those who have not sailed RCI cannot post here. Personally I don’t like the way RCI handles on-board passenger issues and their marketing shows they are going after a totally different market than the one I’m in. Therefore, RCI gets a no vote from me.

The original poster also wonders if she will be disappointed with Caribbean Princess over Navigator of the Seas. Who knows? We don’t know what the poster liked or didn’t like about RCI so we can’t really tell. So I would say any answer is just as good as another.

Hi.

I've sailed on both ships. Although I have sailed on RCCL five times and on Princess only once (on the Caribbean last summer), I would say that princess seems a little better in most areas. I found the food, service, and entertainment quite good. Although I enjoyed the ice rink on Navigator, I much prefer the movies under the stars. As well, I also liked the late night comedy that Princess seems to provide every night - as opposed to RCCL which seems to only offer it a couple of times during a cruise.

One of the things that I thought I wouldnt like was anytime dining, but when I had the best waiter and asst. waiter ever (out of nine cruises) I made a standing reservation with them for every night at the same time. I must say that one thing I missed from the Navigator was the Cafe Promenade - which turned into a nice meeting/snack place. Princess did not seem to offer something similar.

Anyways, for what it is worth, I am going on RCCL to Alaska on the 18th of August and I booked with Princess for Christmas. It might just be that I had a phenomenal experience with Princess (since I have only sailed on them one time) but I tend to think that they provide extra for the slightly higher charge they have over RCCL. I would still sail with both.

Just for the record, I would pick Princess as well and I’ve sailed RCI no times. I realize that the original post implies that the poster is looking for experience, but the post does not indicate those who have not sailed RCI cannot post here. Personally I don’t like the way RCI handles on-board passenger issues and their marketing shows they are going after a totally different market than the one I’m in. Therefore, RCI gets a no vote from me.

The original poster also wonders if she will be disappointed with Caribbean Princess over Navigator of the Seas. Who knows? We don’t know what the poster liked or didn’t like about RCI so we can’t really tell. So I would say any answer is just as good as another.

I know what you are saying about RCI's marketing, however, I believe that if you took two typical groups of cruise passengers, one off of a Princess ship and the other off of a Royal Caribbean ship, and removed any tell-tale logo items from their clothing etc. I would almost defy anyone to tell which ship they were from. We have sailed on both lines and didn't find a significant difference in the people we met on either line. The only time we had a significant on-board passenger issue was on a Princess ship and they really did not meet the challenge. I took that to be an anomoly and wouldn't expect it to be a regular occurrence, nor would I believe that despite good experiences on our RCI cruises, we might not encounter an unsatisfactory representative of that line on a future cruise.:)

I didn't read it that way at all, the title of this thread is Royal Caribbean vs. Princess :confused:

That is what the TITLE reads but not Zoegirl's post.

You guys sound like a bunch of silly kids with this "my cruiseline is better then your cruiseline stuff"-I am no cruiseline loyalist and I have been on enough cruises now to to tell you ships of the same cruiseline can be VERY differant.

For all who questioned this

Majesty of the Sea

Nordic Empress

Enchantment of the Seas

I just answered the question....royal caribbean vs. princess ? Princess....because the quality of food, pleasant crew, and decor of ship....

Nliedel, I don't list my past cruises in my signature line, because the list is too long. I agree, I only list the ship/line I like now....

but sandytoes you aren't being fair in your judgement. You have cruised 3 of their oldest ships.

You are like those RCCL cruisers who go on a crappy cruiseship like Carnival Holiday that they paid $350 a person max for and then go on a ship like Jewel of the Seas that probally cost them at least $1000 a person- and on the basis of these 2 ships- they say Royal Caribbean is better.

To the OP come Nov. I can compare for you Mariner fo the Seas (voyager clas ship like NOS) and Caribbean Princess. I cruised the MOS last Oct. and I am cruising the Caribbean Princess this Oct.

I did not care for MOS-the pools were small and super crowded and so was the wonderful promanade that everyone goes ga-ga over. Several posted to me in my thread that had been on both ships and convinced me I would like Caribbean Princess.

That does not mean I will never cruise Royal Caribbean again-far from it-I still hope to cruise one of their radience class ships (probally next year) as those sound a better fit to what I want.

I am so glad I am NOT a cruiseline loyalist!

I've sailed both the Crown and the Mariner. Those are sister ships. Think I'm qualified to answer.

and you were one of the few that told the good, the bad, and the ugly, of both ships-and you gave a very unbiased answer. I ws not referring to you.

Nancy I hate to pointly pick out a certain person-whenever I do that-that just makes people nasty-so I usually post in general terms-I am sorry if I offended you-I was not thinking of you at all.

but sandytoes you aren't being fair in your judgement. You have cruised 3 of their oldest ships.

You are like those RCCL cruisers who go on a crappy cruiseship like Carnival Holiday that they paid $350 a person max for and then go on a ship like Jewel of the Seas that probally cost them at least $1000 a person- and on the basis of these 2 ships- they say Royal Caribbean is better.

To the OP come Nov. I can compare for you Mariner fo the Seas (voyager clas ship like NOS) and Caribbean Princess. I cruised the MOS last Oct. and I am cruising the Caribbean Princess this Oct.

I did not care for MOS-the pools were small and super crowded and so was the wonderful promanade that everyone goes ga-ga over. Several posted to me in my thread that had been on both ships and convinced me I would like Caribbean Princess.

That does not mean I will never cruise Royal Caribbean again-far from it-I still hope to cruise one of their radience class ships (probally next year) as those sound a better fit to what I want.

I am so glad I am NOT a cruiseline loyalist!

Several people have done unbiased comparisons of sister ships and lots of information has been shared. You have even shared some info yourself on the Mariner, a sister. I am confused and curious who the "silly little kids" are?

For me, it also helps to see the past sailings in the signature, so you can weigh the comments. Impressions from a sailing 3 years ago or more would not paint as a clear picture vs. a sailing within the last year.

I know what you are saying about RCI's marketing, however, I believe that if you took two typical groups of cruise passengers, one off of a Princess ship and the other off of a Royal Caribbean ship, and removed any tell-tale logo items from their clothing etc. I would almost defy anyone to tell which ship they were from.

I bet I would get it right.

We have sailed on both lines and didn't find a significant difference in the people we met on either line. The only time we had a significant on-board passenger issue was on a Princess ship and they really did not meet the challenge. I took that to be an anomoly and wouldn't expect it to be a regular occurrence, nor would I believe that despite good experiences on our RCI cruises, we might not encounter an unsatisfactory representative of that line on a future cruise.:)

I should have stated more clearly – the on-board issue that was handled very badly in my opinion was colored by the company’s unwritten policy and therefore was not an anomoly. I’d tell you more, but then someone might accuse me of spreading liberal garbage as they have in the past.

Given the original poster seems to have enjoyed her RCI experience (she's been on at least two ships) I would suggest she stick with them.

Several people have done unbiased comparisons of sister ships and lots of information has been shared. You have even shared some info yourself on the Mariner, a sister. I am confused and curious who the "silly little kids" are?

For me, it also helps to see the past sailings in the signature, so you can weigh the comments. Impressions from a sailing 3 years ago or more would not paint as a clear picture vs. a sailing within the last year.

Go back and reread the thread and you will find them yourself. I already said I did not want to name names-why are you so defensive? Do you think I meant you?

One more point I have even cruised one ship twice-the Sovereign of the Seas-first cruise I loved! The second cruise had a bunch of partying college kids and a couple of obnoxious drunks-an entirely differant experience. That cruise was a 3 day weekend cruise-and I learned I never want to do a 3 day weekend cruise. I will still cruise Sovereign again on a 4 day.

My point with that is-even the same ship can be two entirely differant experinces. Depends on who your fellow PAX are.

Enough said.

and you were one of the few that told the good, the bad, and the ugly, of both ships-and you gave a very unbiased answer. I ws not referring to you.

Nancy I hate to pointly pick out a certain person-whenever I do that-that just makes people nasty-so I usually post in general terms-I am sorry if I offended you-I was not thinking of you at all.

Mom,

Unless I say a comment is offensive to me I am NOT offended!!!! Trust me, I'm a straight shooter. Too many kids to chase to play games :p

BTW I sailed both the Mariner and the Crown in the last year.

Oh, the reason my cruises are not in my sig is there are twenty of them. I'd rather focus on the future cruises than the past. People that post a long list of cruises do get me interested, but for me....just not my thing.

I'm platinum with both RCCL and Princess. While I haven't been on princess in a couple of years, I booked the Crown back in June...and I'm kind of sorry that I did.

The charge for accessing certain parts of the Princess ships are a step backwards (e.g. the Scantuary). It goes back to the days when there was class distinction. It's back.

I wanted to swap names of people in a cabin (NOT change names). Done in seconds with RCCL. Lots of hassels with Princess.

Yesterday, I found out that Princess charged an additional $56 to my credit card for "an increase in government fees." Their customer service rep said there could be unlimited more and for ANY amount. If I wanted to cancel, I'd have to forfeit 50% of my cruise fare:eek: .

Food on both lines is hit and miss.

Entertainment is top notch on RCCL. Not a priority on princess.

The ship architecture on RCCL's newer ships, too, is spectacular (e.g. 11 story atriums). Princess just can't compare.

I'd be interestesd in hearing your comments if you take a Princess cruise.

Go back and reread the thread and you will find them yourself. I already said I did not want to name names-why are you so defensive? Do you think I meant you?

One more point I have even cruised one ship twice-the Sovereign of the Seas-first cruise I loved! The second cruise had a bunch of partying college kids and a couple of obnoxious drunks-an entirely differant experience. That cruise was a 3 day weekend cruise-and I learned I never want to do a 3 day weekend cruise. I will still cruise Sovereign again on a 4 day.

My point with that is-even the same ship can be two entirely differant experinces. Depends on who your fellow PAX are.

Enough said.

No, I was certain you weren't referring to me. I did go back and read a few but they really didn't offer any comparisons, just a vote for their favorite line.

Oh, the reason my cruises are not in my sig is there are twenty of them. I'd rather focus on the future cruises than the past. People that post a long list of cruises do get me interested, but for me....just not my thing.

Anyone who follows the RCI and Princess boards knows you've sailed frequently. I enjoy your posts...they are always honest, even though they get you in hot water sometimes. :)

I bet I would get it right.

So if Nliedel, MerionMom, I and our families made up one typical group, you would know we were from which line?:D Of course with the odds being 50-50, you might be right but you might just be lucky. :)

I'd disagree with your suggestion for the OP. The fact that she enjoyed her two cruises on RCI doesn't mean that she might not like a Princess cruise even more. Just because one line is a good fit, doesn't mean that another might not be a better fit.

Anyone who follows the RCI and Princess boards knows you've sailed frequently. I enjoy your posts...they are always honest, even though they get you in hot water sometimes. :)

I just regret she thought I was talking about her.

I did go back and read a few but they really didn't offer any comparisons, just a vote for their favorite line.

Which is exactly my point!!!!!!

Hey I will cruise any line-and have fun-I just expect when I pay more for it to be better-I do believe in the old saying "you get what you pay for".

All I can say is, if you are over 65 then Princess is the place for you. It is ideal for old ladies that like to listen to Yellowbird, do the macarena all day long and want to do ceramics by the pool. My recent cruise on the Crown, pre-list, was one of the most boring cruises I have been on. If you want to have a great time, stick with Royal. Nothing compares with my trip on the NOS.

All I can say is, if you are over 65 then Princess is the place for you. It is ideal for old ladies that like to listen to Yellowbird, do the macarena all day long and want to do ceramics by the pool. My recent cruise on the Crown, pre-list, was one of the most boring cruises I have been on. If you want to have a great time, stick with Royal. Nothing compares with my trip on the NOS.

Just further evidence that no line is without its yahoo contingent.:( Fortunately with about 50 posts in three years we aren't subjected to his wisdom too frequently.

Wow, that post alone would have me seriously considering Princess:)!

oh come on Momofmeg -

You are like those RCCL cruisers who go on a crappy cruiseship

The question didn't say in the past year did it? Or are your eyes seeing something mine are not....

I personally feel no matter what Cruise line or ship you're sailing on,

Not One is Perfect.......Everyone is entitled to their own opinion....And it's deeply respected....I value everyone's opinion....It's interesting hearing how other people see things....

And for your info....Please read the Announcements in Forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=197&a=58

It clearly states

If you have a LONG LIST of prior cruises, think about chopping off some.

Archived