Question about fund raising and cruising

My daughter-in-law works for a charity and they are thinking of ideas for a fund raiser (it's a cancer related charity). Anyhow, I suggested that they find a really appealing cruise and put it up for auction. Well, my daughter-in-law and her staff LOVE the idea. The problem is they don't know what to price the tickets at - so I said I would turn to the people of cruise critics, especially since we have such a wide range of people from all over to seek answers. What would you pay for a lottery ticket for a cruise valued at $7500 including round trip air? They want to keep it within reason but, they want to raise enough money to cover the cost of the trip AND make the fund raiser worthwhile. My suggestion is to sell only 500 at $100 per ticket, that way they'll make out nicely, but, she thinks that's steep. So, let's hear it folks. What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Suggetions? Ideas? All comments are welcome!

Joe

I am an agent and have worked with this type of thing before. They can buy cruise certificates on Carnival at a set price... For example a 7 or 8 say certificate including cruise and port (not air) would be $2030 for two people.... if you made the certificate only good for fall sailings it would then be $1375 for two people (rate is not per person). The certificates are a great way to go and then the person can choose what they want. I have had others just pick a specific cruise and do that too. You can either call Carnival about the certificates or you regular TA. I think trying to sell tickets for a vacation (and not a cash pay out) can somethimes be harder, so I wouldn't make the tickets more than $5 if possible. You can also put together a fundraising cruise and all go on a cruise and raise money too. Carnival has a fundraising option in their groups that gives $70 back per cabin to the charity... just a thought!

I think the OP was posing this question on several boards to get various responses. From reading his other posts, the cruise would be with Celebrity over President's Day weekend.

Like many have responded on the other threads it would probably be a better idea to lower the price of the raffle tickets and make the number of tickets unlimited. I hope its a success for the charity.

Archived