Alaska RR depot in Seward - luggage storage facilities

Aprille

We will be taking the Alaska RR (on our own) from Seward to Anchorage after our cruise. Since our ship arrives at 7am and the train doesn't depart until 6pm, are there luggage storage facilities available at the depot? If so, what is the cost and best way to get there from the ship?

We plan to spend the day at the Alaska Sea Life Center so I'm assuming a cab to the depot and then cab back to ASLC would be the way to go? Any idea of cab cost?

We will be taking the Alaska RR (on our own) from Seward to Anchorage after our cruise. Since our ship arrives at 7am and the train doesn't depart until 6pm, are there luggage storage facilities available at the depot? If so, what is the cost and best way to get there from the ship?

We plan to spend the day at the Alaska Sea Life Center so I'm assuming a cab to the depot and then cab back to ASLC would be the way to go? Any idea of cab cost?

We did the exact same thing after disembarking from the Summit in Seward. Since you have independent travel plans, you most likely will not get off the ship as soon as it docks -- those with cruisetours are usually off the ships first. We were off the ship at about 9:30am. Since there were 9 of us (1 in a wheelchair) we sent 3 of our group and all the luggage in a cab to the railroad depot. The rest of us walked the very easy 10 minute or so walk to the depot. As soon as we checked in and showed our ID, they loaded our luggage into their containers and we were free to leave.

We had booked a Kenai Fjords cruise with Major Marine (highly recommended) and walked the few blocks there, stopping along the way to have brunch. When our fjords cruise was over, Major Marine transported us back to the railroad depot (about 5:30pm). We booked everything (cruise and railroad tickets) through Major Marine.

Hope this helps... Enjoy your trip!

Actually independent passegers can get off the ship anytime you want. Just walk off the ship. :)

You can check bags at the Seward depot from about 9am, when the office opens. Easy to book this yourself via online. ALWAYS have reservations. This baggage will NOT be accessable to you until you arrive in Anchorage. There is simi secured storage, on a shelf in the office. Great for a back pack, small cooler etc, if you need them on the train. I've stored bags here several times, and always got them back. :) But I would not leave anything clearly valuable.

Easy to book this yourself via online. ALWAYS have reservations.
Already do. Did it at least a month ago. :)

Thanks for the replies. Especially the info about the semi-secured storage area where we can dump some of our carry-on stuff but, of course, nothing valuable.

So do I understand correctly that there is no fee for luggage storage? I thought I had read somewhere there was. If not, that's great.

Also, is it walkable from the depot to the Sea Life Center? Mapquest says less than 1.5 miles. That's doable for us but we'll probably take a cab back to the depot after a long day.

Archived