husband can't go on our cruise, options

divinmule

So the cruise was planned well in advance but now ,28 days prior to sailing, life has happened and this date just isn't going to work for 1 of us:( . I was just wondering what my options might be on such short notice.:confused:

Can I adjust my cruise to a different time? Extra charge?

Can I substitute a friend or sister? cost? How?

Can I "sell" my cruise to someone else? How?

If I get a wild hair and just go by myself do I still get the 50% refund on his part of the cruise?

Well thanks for your info.

I sent these same questions to my PVP at Carnival but I just wondered what the board's experience had been.

Lari

So the cruise was planned well in advance but now ,28 days prior to sailing, life has happened and this date just isn't going to work for 1 of us:( . I was just wondering what my options might be on such short notice.:confused:

If I get a wild hair and just go by myself do I still get the 50% refund on his part of the cruise?

I sent these same questions to my PVP at Carnival but I just wondered what the board's experience had been.

Lari

Your best bet will be to get someone else to go. If you go by yourself, you still have to pay for both people... unless you downgrade to a 1A, where you will pay 150%. The cost for getting someone else to go will be $50 for the name change. You can't sell your cruise to anyone else... If the reason is covered by travel insurance and you have travel insurance, you can both cancel and get your money back... Try to find someone to take his place, that will be the least expensive way to go. Good luck!

If you invite someone else, be sure they have a passport or certified birth certificate (or make sure they order a certified birth certificate right away.)

I hope it works out for you.

Your best bet will be to get someone else to go. If you go by yourself, you still have to pay for both people... unless you downgrade to a 1A, where you will pay 150%. The cost for getting someone else to go will be $50 for the name change. You can't sell your cruise to anyone else... If the reason is covered by travel insurance and you have travel insurance, you can both cancel and get your money back... Try to find someone to take his place, that will be the least expensive way to go. Good luck!

Why can't she sell the cruise to someone she knows, it would just be a name change???

Why can't she sell the cruise to someone she knows, it would just be a name change???

Because one name has to stay the same, at least one of the original people has to be in the cabin, or it's a cancellation.

Find a friend to go with you. You can "sell" them your hubby's portion, but you should eat the $50 name change fee, to be fair.

Maybe a relative or close friend can go? Look at it this way: figure what the cost is for you to sail alone, and what the penalty would be to cancel outright, and then if you can get someone to pay at least what the lesser of that cost is, you have done OK.

Lari

Best bet is getting a friend/family member to go with you.

Fortunate for us, my significant other found out early enough that he couldn't go & I switched his name to my sisters. No charge for us, but it wasn't SO close.

I agree...you should eat the $50 & invite someone else to go. I ended up inviting me sister as a B-day gift!

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards taking someone else. Sounds like that would be the best plan. My sister has a 4 yr old daughter. IF she were to come would they charge her a "full"fare?

Thanks

Lari

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards taking someone else. Sounds like that would be the best plan. My sister has a 4 yr old daughter. IF she were to come would they charge her a "full"fare?

Thanks

Lari

They would charge her the 3rd person rate, which is lower than the 1st and 2nd fare...

You might run into a problem adding 2 people to replace one. Did your cabin have a 3rd bed? The newer ships do not allow cots.

I've recently gone through an ordeal where my cabinmate just decided not to go at about 55 days out. I called to see what my options were. I could substitute someone else, leave her on the ticket and still go wither her being a "no-show", or remove her from the fare and pay even more money (didnt make sense to me, but whatever). I opted for the name change and paid for a small upgrade, which made them conveniently forget to charge me for the name change. Don't know if that always works, but it was worht it for me.

She would be a 3rd guest it would be cheaper. When is your cruise. It is I think $50 to change the ticket.

Thanks

Lari

Archived