is this a feasible alaska rr itinerary?

lablvr

We are interested in their Goldstar service and thought on our pre-cruise we might do this. Take ARR Denali Star from Anchorage to Talkeetna. Overnight in Talkeetna. Then Talkeetna to Denali..and overnight there for probably 2 nights. Then take ARR from Denali to Anchorage then the Coastal train from Anchorage to Seward where our ship departs. Does this make any sense at all? I'm just in the initial planning stages. Thanks

Yes this is possible, but I would put 2 overnights in Anchorage, so to at least enjoy sightseeing there. Also strongly consider an overnight in Seward.

If going next year. Look at http://www.toursaver.com In the past there have been 2 for one offers. If they are only round trip Anchorage/ Denali. It would be easy to get to Talkeetna with a rental car on a day trip from Anchorage. Be open about options. :)

I have taken the entire distance of the Alaska RR several times, but by far the most scenic portion is Anchorage/Seward. I like to drive north since it offers the freedom to stop along the way. Plenty of sights.

If short on time- you need more available time via rail since it is extended transit times, consider just the Anchorage/Seward train.

Archived