Tortola (7am-3:30 pm) Enough time for The Baths??

SomewhereBeyondTheSea

To all who have been to Virgin Gorda/The Baths:

I will be in Tortola for a very short time - 7am -3:30 pm. I would really love to take a trip to The Baths, but I'm not sure if we have enough time. I orginially wanted to book with Patouche since I heard so many good things about them, but, unfortunately, they won't have any trips going out on the day that I will be there...unless I can charter a boat for $1,200:eek: Anyhow, I've read that there is a ferry service called Speedy's that will take you there and includes lunch, ferry, taxi for $30pp. What a great deal but it seems that the ferry departs Road Town at 9 am and leaves VG at 11:30 am. This really doesn't sound like enough time at all expecially when you have to factor in the travel time that will be wasted. Has anyone used Speedy's with the littlebit of time that I will have? Do you think it is enough time or would you suggest that I book through the cruise line. If so, does anyone know how much Carnival charges for this? Do I have any other options that you may know about?

Any information that you have is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Smiths schedule seems to give a little more time, but how much traveling time do I have to factor in? The boat ride to Tortola and then I guess I would have to take a cab from VG to the baths? How much travel time would I be looking at?

Daily Scheduled Departures

Tortola to The Valley, Virgin Gorda

The Valley, Virgin Gorda to Tortola

7:00 a.m. (rt)**

7:50 a.m.

8:50 a.m. (rt)

10:15 a.m.

10:00 a.m. (rt)*

1:00 p.m.*

12:30 p.m. (rt)

2:15 p.m.

3:15 p.m./4:15 p.m. (rt)

4:00 p.m./5:00 p.m.

5:15 p.m. (rt) (Monday-Friday Only)

6:00 p.m. (Monday-Friday Only)

(rt) = Road Town

*Call for availability

Saturday & Sunday Only

**Not available Sundays

Ferry schedules are subject to change, but it looks to me like Speedy's has 12:30pm (1pm on Sunday) VG-Tortola ferry, and I think you could probably get their package with that (round trip, taxi, and lunch)

http://www.speedysbvi.com/ferryservice/schedule.html

http://www.speedysbvi.com/ferryservice/specials.html

Some of the ship tours might let you swim into the Baths instead of hiking up and down the stairs, which is what I prefer to do.

I just spent a week in Tortola at Maria's By The Sea in Road Town which is almost next door to the Ferry Terminal. One thing we learned is that to throw the ferry schedule online right out the window.

I know that doesn't help you for planning purposes but like everything else in the islands, they run on their own time.

If I were you, I'd get off the ship and run down to the terminal (it is close to the cruise ship terminal) and check the ferry schedule. If those times don't work for you, take a cab to Trellis Bay and catch one of those ferries to Virgin Gorda.

Worst case scenario, you can always walk over to Village Cay Marina and see if anyone is going to Virgin Gorda. Boaters are very generous and most would be very happy to help. Really.

Good luck!

Ferry schedules are subject to change, but it looks to me like Speedy's has 12:30pm (1pm on Sunday) VG-Tortola ferry, and I think you could probably get their package with that (round trip, taxi, and lunch)

http://www.speedysbvi.com/ferryservice/schedule.html

http://www.speedysbvi.com/ferryservice/specials.html

Some of the ship tours might let you swim into the Baths instead of hiking up and down the stairs, which is what I prefer to do.

Thank you all very much. Your help is much appreciated. Zydeco: would you recommend doing the ship over taking the ferry? Speedys does have a great deal, but I’m not sure if it allows too much time and it sounds like the ferries are not reliable. Speedy’s website has been down the last few days, so I am unable to go over the schedule. On the other hand, I have been in touch with Patouche and am trying to find 10 people so that we can go out on their Oil and Water boat. What do you think about that?

Did you happen to do this excursion with the cruise ship?

P.S: I like the sound of swimming to the baths, rather then hiking. Not that I am out of shape or lazy, but I enjoy a nice swim.

We too have a short scheduled time on Tortola - I had hoped the Baths would be something we could do but I gave up. The ferries are unreliable and I don't want to rush seeing that fabulous spot anyway. Our group of families has decided to do some snorkeling at Brewer's Bay - a protected cove with lots of marine life to see. I hear the trip there (20 min.) is awesome as well, with alot of cliffside views. Whatever you wind up doing be sure to post back and let us know how it works out. Enjoy Tortola!!!

Archived