What to pack- last week in August??

Sheebah

Hi CC'ers!

Please help me choose what to pack for our Canada New England cruise the last week of August. I am assuming summer clothes with some windbreaker type layers and jeans (and of course, dressy clothes for dinner). What is the weather like in the Maasdam's ports (Nova Scotia, Quebec, Bar Harbor, etc)?.

Would you packe more summer like or winter like layers?

Thanks in advance!

New England weather is tricky to predict. Last week it was in the 90s and the 80s at night. Very hot and sticky. Just the other night it was in the 60s at night and some places 50s. So it can vary widely. As long as you have a sweatshirt/sweater you will be fine. I hope you enjoy the area and your cruise. Have fun!

p.s. you're welcome.

Thanks Wog...by the way...how do you like Royal Caribbean? I am curious about trying it out, but love HAL and Princess and am just not sure.

New England weather is tricky to predict. Last week it was in the 90s and the 80s at night. Very hot and sticky. Just the other night it was in the 60s at night and some places 50s. So it can vary widely. As long as you have a sweatshirt/sweater you will be fine. I hope you enjoy the area and your cruise. Have fun!

p.s. you're welcome.

We love RCI. They have a great product and wonderful service. We sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas for our first RCI cruise (2nd overall). The ship was similar in size to the Disney Magic which was our first cruise so we were comfortable with the size. As the week went on we were thinking the service was lacking compared to Disney, but then we realized RCI wasn’t in your face. They were more laid back. Disney was always hey are you having fun, can I get you something. RCI was more like Hey we’re here if you need us, but go ahead, relax and enjoy. They were responsive to any request and always had a smile. The pricing was also much better compared to Disney and we didn’t take our son the second time so that wasn’t going to be an issue. We loved Disney and think we will sail them again some day, but for now we will sail RCI. Our DS9 wanted to go on another cruise after our Disney World vacation this year and the new Freedom and Liberty have the Waverider thing, rock walls, basketball courts, mini-golf, all the stuff you could think of. He was sold on the ship so we booked it. We are all looking forward to it very much. We found the nightlife to be there if you wanted it, but you could also just get away and relax if that was the case so it had the best of everything. For now we really enjoy RCI and will be sailing them for a while. I may branch out and try another line, Carnival or Princess, but that would be a few years away before we did so.

Hi Sheebah,

As a former "New Englander" I would most definately agree with the Wog. The weather in the Nor'East is quite unpredictable but in my eyes beautiful at the time you're visiting. Pack a few items for a possible "damp chill" and you will be fine. Hope you have a great time! I'm heading to Cape Cod at the end of August and can't wait to get out of this hot and humid FLA weather:D

Enjoy!

Kathy

This makes me want to try RCI...need to find a good itinerary that we haven't tried and I think I'm sold!

We love RCI. They have a great product and wonderful service. We sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas for our first RCI cruise (2nd overall). The ship was similar in size to the Disney Magic which was our first cruise so we were comfortable with the size. As the week went on we were thinking the service was lacking compared to Disney, but then we realized RCI wasn’t in your face. They were more laid back. Disney was always hey are you having fun, can I get you something. RCI was more like Hey we’re here if you need us, but go ahead, relax and enjoy. They were responsive to any request and always had a smile. The pricing was also much better compared to Disney and we didn’t take our son the second time so that wasn’t going to be an issue. We loved Disney and think we will sail them again some day, but for now we will sail RCI. Our DS9 wanted to go on another cruise after our Disney World vacation this year and the new Freedom and Liberty have the Waverider thing, rock walls, basketball courts, mini-golf, all the stuff you could think of. He was sold on the ship so we booked it. We are all looking forward to it very much. We found the nightlife to be there if you wanted it, but you could also just get away and relax if that was the case so it had the best of everything. For now we really enjoy RCI and will be sailing them for a while. I may branch out and try another line, Carnival or Princess, but that would be a few years away before we did so.

Thank you Kathy....now...brace yourself, but you are about to hear a Californian complain about the weather....but we are having a nasty humid heat wave out here! Eeek! If you are a Floridian, I should shush myself, but I feel your pain...pantyhose are not my friend right now! Thanks so much for the tips, and have a fab time in Cape Cod. I hope to do the fall colors one day with my Mom and Hubby...sounds like a real life experience.

Hi Sheebah,

As a former "New Englander" I would most definately agree with the Wog. The weather in the Nor'East is quite unpredictable but in my eyes beautiful at the time you're visiting. Pack a few items for a possible "damp chill" and you will be fine. Hope you have a great time! I'm heading to Cape Cod at the end of August and can't wait to get out of this hot and humid FLA weather:D

Enjoy!

Kathy

Hi Sheebah,

Enjoy!

Kathy

Hey Kathy -

It's been really hot and humid lately here, but getting better. Down the Cape it has been beautiful though. 70s mostly, with some warmer days and cooler nights. Hope you enjoy your time back!

This makes me want to try RCI...need to find a good itinerary that we haven't tried and I think I'm sold!

I hope you find something and give it a shot. I think you would like it.

Now we have to get you talk like a New Englander...

we say, "Down the Cape" hehehehe ;) :D and don't ever pronounce an R. :D

Have a great trip!

Hey Kathy -

It's been really hot and humid lately here, but getting better. Down the Cape it has been beautiful though. 70s mostly, with some warmer days and cooler nights. Hope you enjoy your time back!

Hey there, yes I have heard from family that the Cape was having a bit of a "heatwave",:D LOL, that's what we use to call it when we would have high humidity and temps that reach 90...BUT, it would only last about 1 week or so...down here we now have a "heatwave" that lasts from June-October! After almost 4 years I have learned to enjoy central air 24/7 during that time. What I can't get use to is the difference in seafood, boy do I miss NE seafood....lobstas beware...I'll probably eat one each day I'm back:eek:

Anyway, I am soooo going to enjoy my visit back home and thanks for the thought:)

Take care!

Kathy

Thank you Kathy....now...brace yourself, but you are about to hear a Californian complain about the weather....but we are having a nasty humid heat wave out here! Eeek! If you are a Floridian, I should shush myself, but I feel your pain...pantyhose are not my friend right now! Thanks so much for the tips, and have a fab time in Cape Cod. I hope to do the fall colors one day with my Mom and Hubby...sounds like a real life experience.

Hi Sheebah, believe me after experiencing 3 Summer seasons here in FLA I thought it would get better, but it's still a challenge and we live in central air 24/7 for about 5 months. I know what you mean about the hose:eek: most ladies down here just do tanned bare legs...much more comfortable.

I definately think you should visit the Cape or New England during "Indian Summer" which to me is mid-late September. The Fall is my fave season and I have missed it sooo much:(

Well anyway, do enjoy your cruise...here's to smooth sailing.

Kathy

I hope you find something and give it a shot. I think you would like it.

Now we have to get you talk like a New Englander...

we say, "Down the Cape" hehehehe ;) :D and don't ever pronounce an R. :D

Have a great trip!

How's this Wog: "I'm going out for some chowda with my sistahs"? Did I pass? Thanks again for the tips.

Hi Sheebah, believe me after experiencing 3 Summer seasons here in FLA I thought it would get better, but it's still a challenge and we live in central air 24/7 for about 5 months. I know what you mean about the hose:eek: most ladies down here just do tanned bare legs...much more comfortable.

I definately think you should visit the Cape or New England during "Indian Summer" which to me is mid-late September. The Fall is my fave season and I have missed it sooo much:(

Well anyway, do enjoy your cruise...here's to smooth sailing.

Kathy

I can't imagine what happens when your air conditioner goes down. Humid heat is the pits. I'm so looking forward to an Indian summer trip...I just know that it will be part to pry myself off a cruiseship!11

Today is August 12th and the weather is letting us know that fall is just around the corner (ugh!!) Overnight it was 40-50 and today the wind is cold ... It just started raining ... back to zip up sweatshirts in the evening!

Tomorrow it could be 80, but we probably will have no more than high 70's until fall starts next month. Jan

Hey Jan!

While taking our dog for a walk after dinner, I commented to my wife that I should have worn a light jacket. House was closed up last night for warmth. As said earlier, on Tuesday night we were using our air conditioners.

Rich - Nice to "see" you again - Funny how one day the air conditioner is going and the next day the windows are closed. Today is a beautiful day - it was 50 when I took the dog for a walk this morning and will be about 70 today - great day for a family picnic at my MIL.

PS - I'm hoping the weather says warm as I do remember the years when we have turned the furnace on the end of August and it never stopped until the following June (with the price of oil, hopefully it will be a warm fall). Jan

Yep, it's been warm, not too hot here. There is definitely a feeling that fall is around the corner. There has been a very nice sea breeze the past couple of days here. My biggest complaint right now is that is getting dark by 8 pm. Pack for warm days 70s and 80s and cool nights 40s and 50s. Sure love this time of year.

Archived