Help! High Heel tips needed for Sneaker Gal (Nancy and friends, please advise)

I've just gone wild on eBay and purchased a few (... or more) formals* for my upcoming cruise on August 6th to Alaska. Now I have a few problems with shoes and would appreciate some help from our shoe experts:

a) BBC What Not to Wear girls said that short women shouldn't wear shoes with ankle straps. It breaks the line of sight and you cut yourself shorter. I'm 5 feet 0.5 inches, and when you start counting 1/2 inches, you're short. My only pair of black heels (that I'm willing to admit to because the others are fashion suicide) are strappy. They strap around the ankle and that leads me to point b.

b) I'm a sneaker gal. I almost never go shopping for high heels and they never feel like they're conforming to the arch of my foot. It feels precarious at best. Should it be like this? The pair linked above are the best I've tried because it is a platform and has an ankle strap to keep my heel in place... the forbidden ankle strap. However, I really like something on the back of the shoe to keep my heel in place. The "slap slap slap" noise of loose-backed shoes annoy me.

c) I've got flatter feet and overpronate. Do I move up a size from what I normally wear (7/7.5 in sneakers) or ask the shoe sales person for a wide width? Every time I wear a slingback or openwork heel, I feel like I've got "foot chub" spilling out the sides of my shoe.

d) These dresses range in color but I'd really only like to buy one decent pair of heels. What color heel do I get that would possibly match a light green, navy, beige, and black? Versatility would be helpful.

e) E.... How to put this. I'm a oddball in heels. I can wear them, stay upright, walk, but it all looks a bit odd. However, I solemnly swear on my CC membership that I will take the shoes out to the mall/grocery store/around the block (at least) to practice walking in them if people give me pointers. I strike heel, roll to toe walk like athletic walkers advise. This doesn't seem to be the way to walk in heels.

f) what can be done if your shoes give you blisters? Wear hose or stick in foot petals? Body-Glide? Go up a size next time?

What are your tips for buying a good pair of heels? I've got a Nordstrom's (and planning to hit them up next weekend), Bloomingdale's, Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Designer Shoe Warehouse (DSW), and some walking footwear specialty shops. Basically, I've got the shoe sources but not the know how. Alas, I also don't know a saleswoman or female friend with extra-savvy heel shopping powers.

Should I get a new pair of black heels? Brands? Suggestions? A link to a tutorial/video? Pronounce me officially high-heel helpless and give me a sign declaring me so?

Thanks ever so muchfor all your help.

* I felt enabled to get a new dress or two. Some of them were excellent deals. If I don't like them then I'll relist them. If I do like them but not enough for the cruise, I'll stash it in my closet for another event. Two of them have potential to LBD, one has potential to be LNavyDress, one could be worn to church, and one was just cute. The jury is still out on a few other auctions LOL.

What they ( bbc what not to wear girls) didn't say is it all depends on where the ankle strap is. The shoes where the strap is higher up are very shortening, but if the strap falls around where the "arch" or top of foot meets the ankle, they are ok. I think they were talking about those kinds that go up in the back like an extra inch or so then strap around the ankle ( if that makes sense?) they started making an appearance again around a year or so ago when shoes became very structured ( as in long pointy toes, hard lines, etc.)

I think the ones in the link are just fine. They have a thicker heel which makes it MUCH easier to walk in and hold yourself steady:cool: and the platform style will be as close as you come to flats, because while you have height, your feet aren't arched as much, which can be more comfortable.

If you go up an extra size or more, make sure that they will still fit, as in: walk in them enough to make sure the toes don't slide out and leave you with a shoe strapped on your ankle and dragging behind you. Getting a wider shoe might be the answer, but I have tried that and my feet just looked flatter ( really flat and unattractive) or you might just need a shoe with more coverage ( not thin and strappy) to deal with the foot chub:)

And really the only advice I can give for the blisters and such: It happens with every new shoe I buy, the first time I wear them, I get blisters or rub spots, sometimes the first few times, but after that they fit fine. I wear mine around the house for a week, I wouldn't take them out of the house necessarily because they could get dirty, or scuffed, and then they aren't as pretty for when you wear them.

And for the basic walking in heels: slow down... I am short too, and I take monstrous strides, usually to keep up with the tall people:D, but when you are dressed up and in heels, hold your back straight if not just the slightest bit leaned back ( very slight or you'll tip) head up, hands relaxed and not swinging to and fro, and really just breath and as you step, point your toes ( not all dramatically like a ballerina) but enough so that the toes will not be pointing up as your heel comes down. And don't roll yuor hips, that seems to pronounce the heel to toe roll.

Hope this gives you a start, and I am sure that everyone else will have fabulous advice as always:)

Shoe buying. Since you aren't really certain what size you wear, I highly recommend that if you have good shoe store around, you go there and actually have your feet measured to see what size you really should wear, and then help you fit shoes. I actually wear a smaller size generally in heels than I do in sneakers, so going up in size could cause more problems than they are worth.

And for the basic walking in heels: slow down... I am short too, and I take monstrous strides, usually to keep up with the tall people:D, but when you are dressed up and in heels, hold your back straight if not just the slightest bit leaned back ( very slight or you'll tip) head up, hands relaxed and not swinging to and fro, and really just breath and as you step, point your toes ( not all dramatically like a ballerina) but enough so that the toes will not be pointing up as your heel comes down. And don't roll yuor hips, that seems to pronounce the heel to toe roll.

Hope this gives you a start, and I am sure that everyone else will have fabulous advice as always:)

Where'd you hide that camera at my last formal event. I take monstrous strides, lol, at least for a "vertically challenged" person. Also, I rarely wear skirts, so it can be a bit funny when I'm wearing a tighter dress/skirt, as I want to take a wide stride and am forced to shorten my stride because of the dress. Somehow, I'm always surprised even though I just put the dress on a few minutes ago...

So a dress shoe does fit differently than a sneaker and smaller? Is that because of sock padding or something?

So a dress shoe does fit differently than a sneaker and smaller? Is that because of sock padding or something?

It really depends on the person, the shoe and the foot. That's why I recommend seeking out a good shoe department and actually having your feet measured. Until a few years ago, I hadn't had my feet measured since I was in my preteens. I've always been overweight, and before the measuring a few salesmen assumed that I was a wide, and I'm not. I didn't know the difference because I'd never had properly fitting shoes. Once I knew the correct size I found it much easier to wear dress shoes. The shoes that were the wrong size gave me blisters on the top of my feet and the back of my ankle where they hit wrong. I'm also less likely to twist my ankle in heels.

I too wear a smaller size in other shoes besides sneakers. In sneakers and similar shoes, I usually wear a 7, but in dress shoes and sandals, I wear anything from 5 to 6.5 depending on the shoe. I don't know why. Maybe it's something to do with how they're made?

I would say go and get measured first and get some help from a store clerk as far as size goes if you're not sure how they should fit or what size to get. The individual style of the shoe will probably make a difference too.

Here's a few examples of shoes that don't have an ankle strap, but should stay on your feet....They have a strap around the heel which should hold them on. Plus I think they look very classy.

http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSection/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/style/productDetails.cfm&itemID=63127682&&var=d&ckey=US

http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSection/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/style/productDetails.cfm&itemID=62513493&&var=d&ckey=US

http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSection/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/style/productDetails.cfm&itemID=62152894&&var=d&ckey=US

http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSection/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/style/productDetails.cfm&itemID=62262735&&var=d&ckey=US

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/14767888/c/3.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/13002648/c/816.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6487227/c/3.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/8447008/c/13597.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/12424041/c/89.html

Coming from a Shoe-a-holic, blisters are inevitable. Looking cute can be painful. My suggestion, carry bandaids with you and when you feel the shoe rubbing in a certain place, bandaid it up.

Size wise, you honestly just need to try the different sizes. Go with what feels the most comfortable. You don't want your heel slipping out of the shoe, nor do you want it pinching your foot so that you have to crunch up your toes or feet, etc. Only way to determine this sometimes is to buy what you think are your size and bring them home and ONLY WEAR THEM ON CARPET walking around your house. I worked at a shoe store for awhile and people would try to return them after they looking worn, whether on pavement or wood floors. Keep them from getting marked up on the bottom and you can return them. After walking around in them for a few days around the house, you should be able to tell if they are the right size for you and if you'll be able to wear them for a night or a couple nights.

ok, so i know there's alot here to absorb, shoes and information. But let me know if you have any questions. I hope I helped at least a little bit!

Call Neiman Marcus and make an appointment with their personal shopper.

Explain your situation in detail to the personal shopper (this is a free service).

They will unfailingly give you great advice and steer you towards a pair of shoes that not only fit you well but look great on your feet and are comfortable to wear. The PS will also make sure you are properly measured and fitted.

The reason I picked Neiman Marcus is that they are going to have the absolute best shoes and will have a wide range in price.

Plan on buying a good pair of shoes and spending a couple hundred dollars but it will be worth the cost.

For what it's worth, if a shoe rubs blisters, it is the wrong size.

Call Neiman Marcus and make an appointment with their personal shopper.

Explain your situation in detail to the personal shopper (this is a free service).

They will unfailingly give you great advice and steer you towards a pair of shoes that not only fit you well but look great on your feet and are comfortable to wear. The PS will also make sure you are properly measured and fitted.

The reason I picked Neiman Marcus is that they are going to have the absolute best shoes and will have a wide range in price.

Plan on buying a good pair of shoes and spending a couple hundred dollars but it will be worth the cost.

For what it's worth, if a shoe rubs blisters, it is the wrong size.

I absolutely agree. You should at least have one pair of heels, even if you only need them occasionaly. If you do only wear them every once in a while, then a good pair should last a very long time.

Please do buy a good pair, they are less likely to hurt or feel uncomfortable. A supple leather shoe should conform to your foot. I like a heel with a leather sole, but if a lot of walking/standing is required, maybe something with a flex sole.

If the shoe pinches your foot when your try it on, it will only get worse. I've never had a pair of heels that fit properly cause a blister.

Of course, I do not always follow my own advice, but I am a shoe hog. I recently bought a pair of shoes w/ a wooden sole. What was I thinking?:confused: They're great and I loved them, that's what. Oh what a woman will do to look beautiful! :D

Blue Herons has given you the best advice so far, IMO and I'll add a bit.....

Honestly, cheap shoes will never be comfortable. They're made from synthetics and they don't "breathe". Also, not much effort is put into making the right "last" (slope) to insure maximum comfort.

Even a microfiber shoe needs a leather base and sole to be good and comfortable.

If you have a wide foot, then you need to buy wide shoes. Spilling out over the sides of your shoes is both uncomfortable and ugly looking. Not every shoe style is for everyone. I have a narrow heel, so I can never buy a slingback because the strap falls down and looks terrible. However, I have extrememly high arches, so my dress shoes almost always have open sides (called a D'Orsay cut).

I agree that a strap can shorten the leg visually, however, if you're wearing a long gown, it's not as much of an issue. And as another person pointed out, if the strap isn't too high around the ankle, and is a thin strap it might be just fine. That's a decision you (and/or someone with a "good eye") has to determine by looking.

If you have a hard time walking in heels, then don't buy ones that are too high (stick w/ under 2") and buy heels that are bit thicker to give you better support.

Brands like Stuart Weitzman and Anne Klein make gorgeous evening heels in wider widths and are not too pricey ($200. range). If that's way out of your budget you can always try them on to see if you like their fit and then search on Ebay. Donald Pliner also are comfortable and wide - I'm just not sure if they have many dressy styles.

For one pair that will match light green, navy, black and beige, I'd go with a metallic like pewter or bronze.

Wear hose (at home) when the shoes are brand new til the leather softens up. I always wear new shoes around the house for a "test drive" to make sure they're right for me as well as to soften them up a bit. If one little area rubs a bit, it'll probably be fine once it "gives" but if a shoe is generally uncomfortable, bring them back to the store.

Going up a size will only cause your foot to slide and cause even more rubbing along with the discomfort of wearing shoes too large.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. Right now, the budget doesn't extend to a really fantastic pair of heels from a tip-top brand but I do have a few hours to spend at DSW (Warehouse style with designer shoes, even Prada occasionally) so I can try on a wide variety of sizes, styles, and heel heights without bugging a sales-person. Thanks for the advice on sizes. I'll look for something a bit smaller than what I normally wear instead of the exact size, as well as a quality brand of shoe.

Neiman's is out of my range right now, would Nordstrom's do a decent job of measure and fit?

Nordstrom's has a great shoe department and that is where I finally learned my correct size. I actually wait until I fly to Dallas to buy shoes at Nordstrom's instead of buying them here, unless I absolutely can't wait until my next Dallas trip.

I noticed in my expensive shoes like Gucci, I am one size larger than I am normally (in normal shoes I am a sze 7, in Gucci I am a size 8) ... Am I the only one?

I always chalked it up to just the difference in designer and non-designer, because I noticed that sizing on clothes ranges depending if I am at saks or dillards. Saks generally runs smaller in the clothes I buy there.

Archived